Looking for a GTi+ - Climate & dsg query

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
spookydog
New
Drives: Looking for a GTi+

Looking for a GTi+ - Climate & dsg query

Post by spookydog »

Hey peeps,

Just looking at getting the misses a GTi+. We dont buy brand new, rather ex-demo or under a year old but all the ones I have seen dont have climate. Has this just started to be offered as in this day & age I wouldnt have thought peeps would spec a car without it but most of the ones for sale out there are manual ac?

Another weird bit, just done the online configurator for a giggle, & appears the plus only comes with a 6 speed dsg, whereas all the others can be spec'd with the 7 speed. Is this the same box as the Golf GTi as that is running more power & has 7 speed, even my weazel of a T6 has a 7 speeder.

The hunt continues......
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: Looking for a GTi+ - Climate & dsg query

Post by OomStu_ZA »

These are German vehicles mate, heck if they could they would sell the car key as an extra too :P Everything is pretty much is options these days, it just depends how deep your pockets are.
spookydog
New

Post by spookydog »

Haha,

I know the Germans well lol & their extras, only thing is I know it is an option, but not a stupidly expensive one so wondered why hardly any have it or are most of the cars coming up for sale used ex demonstrators that were just base + spec. I'd not want anything that didnt have climate nowadays
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Auto climate control is an extra cost option on both the GTI and GTI+ and has been since day one. It was also an extra cost option on the previous generation Polo GTI.

You’re correct in that there don’t seem to be many that have been specced with auto climate control. If I was buying new, I’d probably spec it, but it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me if I was looking for a nearly new GTI+ and couldn’t find one with climate control. I’ve had VW’s with manual air con in the past and it’s always done a good job of cooling the car.
Mike222
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gti 2023 face lift Reefblue /black

Post by Mike222 »

As you say , climate , nowhere to be seen on stock or demo cars , once you have had climate it would’ve really hard to live without it . I had to do factory order back in May , thankfully car almost here , ( just arrived in Emden! )
I think the DSG question is about the 6 speeds ability to handle the torque of GTI engine
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Mike222 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:40 am As you say , climate , nowhere to be seen on stock or demo cars , once you have had climate it would’ve really hard to live without it . I had to do factory order back in May , thankfully car almost here , ( just arrived in Emden! )
I think the DSG question is about the 6 speeds ability to handle the torque of GTI engine
I've had climate on my previous 2 Golfs (standard equipment), not worth £400 IMO as an option on the Polo, so didn't spec. 7 speed DSG on the lower Polos is dry clutch and can't handle the Polo GTI"s output.

The 7 speed wet clutch on Golf 7.5 GTI/GTD/R isn't on the Polo. The 6 speed DSG on the Polo GTI was fitted to the MK7 Golf GTI/GTD/R prior to facelift.

The OP buys second hand where someone has already optioned the climate or other options and the used price rarely reflects the cost of the individual options. If he/she had to pay £400 more to get one with climate than without, it may not be such a necessary option to them.

When you can get £2700 off a new Polo GTI+and the nearly new one (up to a year old) won't be any cheaper than the discounted new price because of VWs used pricing structure/strong residuals, I'd be buying new (you'll have a wait though).
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

I ended up buying brand new as I could not find a Polo up to spec I wanted second hand or ex demos.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

That is a hefty price there for climate control. The equivalent price here fitted from factory equates to approx. 205 pounds, seems that distance from factory may be a factor I guess.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:14 pm That is a hefty price there for climate control. The equivalent price here fitted from factory equates to approx. 205 pounds, seems that distance from factory may be a factor I guess.
They charge what the market will bear. At the moment, with a poor pound, most VWs are dearer in Germany than the UK, on a like for like basis (taking into account better spec on UK models). If the pound strengthened 50% tomorrow, VW wouldn't reduce their prices for the UK accordingly.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

spookydog wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:08 am Hey peeps,

Just looking at getting the misses a GTi+. We dont buy brand new, rather ex-demo or under a year old but all the ones I have seen dont have climate. Has this just started to be offered as in this day & age I wouldnt have thought peeps would spec a car without it but most of the ones for sale out there are manual ac?

Another weird bit, just done the online configurator for a giggle, & appears the plus only comes with a 6 speed dsg, whereas all the others can be spec'd with the 7 speed. Is this the same box as the Golf GTi as that is running more power & has 7 speed, even my weazel of a T6 has a 7 speeder.

The hunt continues......
Found this one on Carwow with Climate Control; nearly new Polo GTI+ (registered May 2019, 3k miles) in Deep Black Pearl with Climate Control, 18” Brescia alloys, Sat Nav and Winter Pack. It’s listed in the Used Cars section of VW’s website - link below;

https://00403.usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk ... sg-q4b3ydc
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:02 pm
Mike222 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:40 am As you say , climate , nowhere to be seen on stock or demo cars , once you have had climate it would’ve really hard to live without it . I had to do factory order back in May , thankfully car almost here , ( just arrived in Emden! )
I've had climate on my previous 2 Golfs (standard equipment), not worth £400 IMO as an option on the Polo, so didn't spec. 7 speed DSG on the lower Polos is dry clutch and can't handle the Polo GTI"s output.

The 7 speed wet clutch on Golf 7.5 GTI/GTD/R isn't on the Polo. The 6 speed DSG on the Polo GTI was fitted to the MK7 Golf GTI/GTD/R prior to facelift.

The OP buys second hand where someone has already optioned the climate or other options and the used price rarely reflects the cost of the individual options. If he/she had to pay £400 more to get one with climate than without, it may not be such a necessary option to them.

When you can get £2700 off a new Polo GTI+and the nearly new one (up to a year old) won't be any cheaper than the discounted new price because of VWs used pricing structure/strong residuals, I'd be buying new (you'll have a wait though).
It might not be necessary to wait. Just done a search on Carwow and it’s returned 60 brand new Polo GTI / GTI+; varying colours and specs. I’ve not trawled through the spec details of these cars so don’t know how many, if any, have climate control.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:54 pm
spookydog wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:08 am Hey peeps,

The hunt continues......
Found this one on Carwow with Climate Control; nearly new Polo GTI+ (registered May 2019, 3k miles) in Deep Black Pearl with Climate Control, 18” Brescia alloys, Sat Nav and Winter Pack. It’s listed in the Used Cars section of VW’s website - link below;

https://00403.usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk ... sg-q4b3ydc
Trouble is, I could get that same car brand new, to same spec, for £900 more than that price. £900 is £900 some night say, and they'd be right, but if they are PCPing (as most do), you're paying a 50% higher APR % than buying new, more than cancelling out that £900.

Buying nearly new from VW via VWFS rarely makes sense vs the purchase of a new car, due to both the high price and high APR rate applied to Das Welt used cars. You don't get the epic wait though.

Given the approx 3k miles and a reasonable fip into the options bin, it's almost certainly an ex-demo that's possibly been thrashed on enthusiastic test drives too.
spookydog
New

Post by spookydog »

Some great responses, cheers peeps

Yeah, see what you mean if we were to finance it about the nearly new to new ratio, not sure how to go with that at the mo tbh

Oh, one other real on the "never to do list" is never have another black car or bike lol, look stunning clean but all it takes is a fly to land on it & it doesnt look like they have been cleaned in a month so as this will be Doris's car, black is a huge no-no lol
cardiak
New
Drives: --

Post by cardiak »

Aye, black is a labour of love that’s for sure. Don’t clean it correctly and you’ll have swirls in no time. Absorbs all that sun and just generally takes a hammering. Only time I’d get another black car is if I turned pro as a detailer.. and that would be to explain to customers just how much is involved if you’re into that sort of thing.

One other thing to consider is how long you’re planning on keeping the car. Fond of ex demo cars myself as you generally get a fair few extras that were added to sell them to customers. One thing to bear in mind however is they are rarely if ever run in and although maintained by the dealership are often abused and driven hard from the onset. That with the high APR might be worth taking into consideration.

If you wanted one to potentially keep longer term I’d think carefully about an ex demo. If this is just a 3-4 year thing then it can work out in your favour if the numbers look right to you.

The GTi+ is a long way from a “common” car in my opinion, but they are out there with what your looking for, just few and far between so maybe keep your search net quite wide and be prepared to travel.

I took a new job working from home so sold my S3 as it’s just sat in the garage costing me a fortune I’d rather spend on the house or holidays. Wanted something practical and fun so the GTi+ seemed right for me. Wasn’t happy with any of the specs though so it was a custom build and I’m still waiting 7 months on but due in the next couple of weeks.

With all that said, have a think and good luck 👍 no doubt it is a great little car, just getting the right one can be a bit fussy imo.
spookydog
New

Post by spookydog »

Oooh,

Jealous on the new car mister, let me know what it's like in the flesh :-) Yep, black, erm never again :-)

We arent in any rush, which is a bonus. Good call about the thrash scenario, something to consider