Cambelt Change Interval

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Daversmth
New
Drives: 6c

Cambelt Change Interval

Post by Daversmth »

Hi All,

My daughter has a 2014 1.2Tsi. When it went in for service and MOT the garage mentioned that there is a recommended Cambelt chage after 5 years. But her car has only done 15k miles and it seems to me that a cambelt change would be mileage rather than time related. Does anyone have an opinion on this ?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Cambelt Change Interval

Post by SRGTD »

The cam belt is essentially a rubber belt and rubber deteriorates with age, irrespective of the car’s mileage. If it does fail, the resultant damage would cost much more than it would cost to replace the cam belt.

I’m a firm believer of preventative maintenance, so I’d be getting it changed at some point in the next few months.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Okay, so your daughter's Polo is definitely a 6C version and so the turbo charger is located at the back of the engine, nearest the passenger cell? If so then it does have a belt driven camshaft.

Now, it seems that these belts are officially listed by VW Group as being "for life", but the official workshop manual suggest that the top cover is removed and the belt condition checked after maybe 5 years, then maybe at every or every other year service and replaced if showing signs of damage. Note these belts use far better materials than the early cambelts so are intended to last far longer.

I too have always gone for an "in time" wrt changing earlier car's cambelts, my wife's last Polo was a 2002 model and so the advice was every 4 years or ??K miles, for us it was the years that came first, my older daughter's late 2009 Ibiza was every 5 years probably due to VW revising and deleting some idler, but the general VW Group service advice was every 4 years up to a certain model year and then every 5 years for all belt driven camshaft engines after that date.

So, I'm guessing that VW UK is either encouraging the retention of the "every 5 years" to keep cars moving through the dealership workshops - or they are playing safe, or some/many/most VW Group dealership service desks are not keeping up to date with improved or "for life" cambelts now being fitted to newer cars.

Typically as experience is gained on newer engines, service demands or recommendations change, but I'm not convinced that this is the case for these cambelts.

I examine the cambelt along its entire length annually, I think that that is a good plan as these EA211 engines did initially have a serious potential issue with the inlet camshaft variable timing pulley securing screws becoming slack and so ending up with engine destruction in extreme cases where owner ignored "funny" noises.

My plan with my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI, is to consider getting the belt replaced at the 6 year point, which will be roughly 50K miles max - unless hear otherwise or the belt starts to look like its aging badly, but each to their own, just be aware that your VW dealer service department might just be being lazy and not operating in your best interest.
ihpj
Bronze Member

Post by ihpj »

We are having to deal with this variable conundrum ourselves :roll:

I do recall exchanging correspondence with VW UK when I bought my mother her Polo 6C (1.2 Tsi CJCZ) as a Das Welt last year it would be due a belt change at 5 years old. So as it was almost 4 years old then and 60K, I accepted therefore it would be due now (65K). As I will be extending the VW Warranty on it, I figure I will have that done - but I won’t be paying VW their ludicrous costings :lol:

I will (again) use their price match against them - I’m hopeful one day they won’t ask me to produce a written quote when Service work is required and have the common sense and decency to agree pricing without asking me to provide a written quote every time :lol:

As an aside, VW tell me if you have the CJCZ engine, the water pump does not need changing as the belt does not drive it...go figure?