Hard wiring sat nav

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
dmulv
New
Drives: Polo 6C

Hard wiring sat nav

Post by dmulv »

I'm looking to hard wire my TomTom Go into my dash, and was looking for some advice.

Firstly - cable routing. My Polo 6C is right hand drive, and I've managed to remove the side panel of the dashboard to reveal access to the fuse box and a handy earth point. However I can't fathom how to get the cable from the interior of the dashboard to the top of the dash for connecting to the sat nav (I'm intending to mount it at the base of the A pillar). Does anyone have any tips?

Secondly - fuse choice. I'll be using a piggy-back fuse connector to provide power (I've actually connectors for both the mini and standard sized fuses). My question is - is there a fuse that will provide power when the doors are unlocked, then cut it when they're locked again? I'm thinking something linked to the interior light? It would be good to have the sat nav powered up when I unlock the car and ready for use before I even open the door.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Re: Hard wiring sat nav

Post by joe6 »

If you open the triangular trim on the right hand side of the dash (need to open the car door) you will be able to find a route to the base of the A pillar from the fuse box. You can check for an appropriate fuse to use with a multimeter.