Spiring noise when turning steering

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ma444
New
Drives: 1.2s 2010

Spiring noise when turning steering

Post by ma444 »

My 2010 Polo has developed what sounds like a banging or springing noise when I turn the steering. Only happens when I go from straight to right and only makes it once.

Dealer replaced Cv boot a couple of months ago
dmulv
New
Drives: Polo 6C

Re: Spiring noise when turning steering

Post by dmulv »

That happened on an older Seat Ibiza I had, which turned out to be a broken suspension spring.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

dmulv wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:21 am That happened on an older Seat Ibiza I had, which turned out to be a broken suspension spring.
I'd reckon that you are spot on there!

Edit:- I'd think that 9 years for road springs is good enough, but I suppose it depends on location etc, I've had a front spring break in half(nasty - biggg drop) on a 2002 Polo 9N at 5 years, replaced both sides and top mounts and bearings etc, then again at 12 years, that time I just fitted the "good" original spring! That car need a new rear spring at maybe 10 years old due to a short section breaking off. On a late 2009 Ibiza, a short section of a front spring broke off at 7 years old, that car also needed rear springs at 6 years old, again only a short section of spring broke off.

All these breakages would be down to corrosion leading to micro cracking which developed into springs cracking then finally breaking - looking at the broken ends normally will confirm that, potholes will be the final spring killer, but only because they have been weakened by corrosion.

Another Edit:- regardless of what you find, I'd think that replacing the top bearing for the later version should also remove any annoying clunking that that car has - if it is still on its original version of these top bearings.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Regularly driving cars between fifty and seventy years old that are still using their original coil springs I find it incredible that cars built with modern materials and technology can destroy their springs so quickly.

I don’t subscribe to the things we’re better back in the day, they mostly were not but surely we should reasonably expect something as simple but important as a spring to last longer than a pair of shoes.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Ricmondo wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:46 pm Regularly driving cars between fifty and seventy years old that are still using their original coil springs I find it incredible that cars built with modern materials and technology can destroy their springs so quickly.

I don’t subscribe to the things we’re better back in the day, they mostly were not but surely we should reasonably expect something as simple but important as a spring to last longer than a pair of shoes.
I think that Audi were going to take non metallic road springs onto the market, but they will only be as good/robust as the final external protection that they have on them, maybe some newer Audis are already out there fitted with these newer road springs.

I think some French car companies were the "masters" of having models out there who tended to break a spring in the way that sent the remaining end out into the front tyre, nice!
spartacus68
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.4 TDI (90PS) Blue motion

Post by spartacus68 »

Will definately be coil spring. Lost count of the springs I've replaced over the years. Audi A2 was the worst, O/S front was utter pain to work on. No space, plus brake fluid reservoir need to move to access.

Just changed the rear springs on my daughter's Fiat 500 couple of days ago.

Our seasonal wet weather, road salt, and pot holes all take their toll. Remember and change top mounts if fixing. On Audi A2 for example and Skoda Fabia, the top mounts seize and this causes the springs to break when turning. The springs are weekend anyway with corrosion.

Might be worth changing the suspension drop links too. Fit a Meyle HD kit. The bolts are always siezed.