DSG possible issue

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Baa79
New
Drives: MK 10 GTI

DSG possible issue

Post by Baa79 »

Hi guys, just wondering if this is normal as this is my first DSG gearbox.

I have a 2019 GTI+ with 2000kms and when driving in normal D mode when coming to a junction , it feels like the car is engine braking when shifting down from 3rd to 2nd gear. Its very noticeable i was hoping being a brand new car things would be alot smoother. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thank you :) :) :)
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: DSG possible issue

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Do you perhaps have the Sports / Individual mode enabled instead of Normal mode?
Baa79
New

Post by Baa79 »

Hi there no definitely in normal mode :(
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Definitely doesn't sound normal. The DSG box doesn't really do engine braking in D mode. It always feels like you're braking against the car's wishes to keep going, unless you are in full manual mode and down shifting without any throttle.
Baa79
New

Post by Baa79 »

Hi thanks for that i will get it checked out i reckon as the car is only a few months old.

Not sure if this is related but do you guys get excessive creeping on a DSG? When i get into the car and let it warm up, as soon as i let go of the brake its off without any acceleration?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Baa79 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:10 pm Hi thanks for that i will get it checked out i reckon as the car is only a few months old.

Not sure if this is related but do you guys get excessive creeping on a DSG? When i get into the car and let it warm up, as soon as i let go of the brake its off without any acceleration?
The DSG is always looking to move, unless you've got your foot on the brake, so creeping is normal.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:25 am
Baa79 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:10 pm Hi thanks for that i will get it checked out i reckon as the car is only a few months old.

The DSG is always looking to move, unless you've got your foot on the brake, so creeping is normal.
The foot brake disengages the clutches and stops the car. Even if you pull the handbrake on as much as you can, not touch the throttle, with the footbrake off, you'll find the back end of your car dipping and will even drag the car down the road with the back wheels slipping on the road.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Baa79 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:35 am Hi guys, just wondering if this is normal as this is my first DSG gearbox.

I have a 2019 GTI+ with 2000kms and when driving in normal D mode when coming to a junction , it feels like the car is engine braking when shifting down from 3rd to 2nd gear. Its very noticeable i was hoping being a brand new car things would be alot smoother. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thank you :) :) :)
I have reported the same thing here: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=73568&p=559763#p559763 . Seems like some people get it and others don't. I must admit I haven't noticed it as much as I have got used to it, but it is still there. I will raise it when it is next in for service and see if any software/firmware updates are available to smooths out 3->2 gear changes.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

The DSG just won’t be as smooth as an automatic.