Ride quality & Road roar?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
neil.costin
New

Ride quality & Road roar?

Post by neil.costin »

Hello all, I’m new to this forum and thinking of ordering a new Polo. I was just wandering if anyone has switched from driving a new Polo S or SE with 15” wheels (or even an SEL with 16s) to driving a GTI or GTI+ with just the standard 17” wheels? Is there a marked difference in ride quality and motorway road noise when the GTI is in normal driving mode? I’ll try and test drive both of course but am at the research stage and interested in others’ experiences of having driven both basic Polo and GTI. What I really want is a really well specced and decently quick small car with an auto box with as comfy and quiet a ride as possible - it seems crazy speccing an SE with tons of options though as the GTI+ has a great spec and a much more appealing engine, but I’m worried the lower suspension and 17s might irritate on the motorway when I’m not in the mood for hurtling around country lanes! Any help much appreciated, thank you...
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Ride quality & Road roar?

Post by monkeyhanger »

It's all subjective, based on what you are used to. I've driven performance VWs for the last 15 years, and don't find the Polo GTI+ on 18" Brescias uncomfortable. That being said, I do leave the Sport Select suspension in normal mode. Having 17" Parkers will give you better tyre cushioning - the bigger tyre wall and coming on Michelin Primacy 3 tyres will help in the comfort stakes too.

It's a comfortable and refined motorway cruiser. I used to be in Sciroccos and Gllfs and the Polo feels just as good on the motorway as my Golf R ever did.
RichTea
Getting There!
Drives: Polo blue GT - 170BHP - 320nm

Post by RichTea »

My wife has the SE and ive got the GTI. I drive both and before i lowered the gti i didn't really notice much difference but the SE is a little better in ride quality. Gti is a bit louder inside as well but i love it lol
neil.costin
New

Post by neil.costin »

Thanks for that, much appreciated. If it’s as refined on the m way as a Golf R that’s a pretty good endorsement! I haven’t owned a VW for well over 20 years when I had a string of Mk2 Golf GTIs, I remember them very fondly and in fact they were on 15” alloys, in fact the first one an F reg was on 14s! I’m kind of hoping the Polo GTI might remind me of those a bit as they were pretty comfortable in their day as well as being great fun to throw about if you were in the mood. I’m old though now and want an auto!
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Most of my miles in my gti have been motorway miles and I find it perfectly fine.
I also don't have a problem with the ride around town etc.
I'm on the 17's.
I switch between sports and normal suspension modes from time to time depending on mood.
It is noticeably more bobbly in sports mode, understandably so but not so bad that it would shake your teeth loose.
Noise wise, I don't find it bad at all.
The soundaktor can be dialled down in individual mode anyway if the engine noise irritates.
Road noise doesn't drown out in car audio, if that's any kind of measure.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

I use my GTI as a daily driver predominantly doing a 20k / year motorway commute, and find it fine. Inspected the 17s as I felt these may be a little less harsh ride wise but I haven’t seen anyone suggest this is true so if I was specking now would probably go for the Brescia wheels.
I did have a Polo SE for a few weeks which was admittedly quieter and ‘softer’ ride wise but for the purpose of your initial question my view would be to go for a GTI rather than speccing up an SE.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

I came from a mk5 SE on 15inch wheels to mk6 GTI+ on 18inch wheels. The comfort I find is better mainly due to going from a manual to an automatic. Suspension with the dampers in normal is comparable to comfort to the previous vehicle. Tyre noise is considerably louder though. It doesn't bother me though.
neil.costin
New

Post by neil.costin »

Thanks for everyone’s replies, really appreciate them.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

GTI on the 17inch wheels should provide acceptable comfort.

On bumpy roads the 18inch rims is firmer and on reasonable roads it is smooth . I like it.