Sudden power loss to all electrics

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JayW
Silver Member

Sudden power loss to all electrics

Post by JayW »

Scenario:

The old Polo has developed an annoying and very odd fault. About 6 months ago, I parked up the car, switched it off and it went dead. Like the battery wasn't connected, usually the interior lights would come on and radio would still play... however nothing! Tried to switch off ignition and back on again and still nothing. I had a look under the bonnet and put a meter on the battery and it showed a full charge. Gave the battery a punch out of annoyance and... it came back to life! (left the keys in ignition on just incase it powered back on). Thought okay... weird, probs a bad terminal so cleaned up the earth lead from battery to the chassis and seemed good again.

Four months later, same thing happened again. This time, as soon as i popped the bonnet, the car came back to life! Thought right, must be a earth point somewhere else but where?

Then today, was driving and saw the idle revs were sitting a little high around 1k even though it had warmed up... thought odd. Started to reverse onto drive way and the car electrics tried to cut out, all lights went out momentarily but came back straight away. Dash lit up like a Christmas tree as though ignition has just be started (going through its checks). Parked up on drive way, switched off the engine and dead again! This time, left keys in ignition and popped the bonnet, give the battery a wiggle again and once again back to life. 😡😡😡

Has anyone else had this issue or know of any earth points i can check? Im 99% sure i have a earth issue somewhere but just need to find it!

I've ordered a new battery just incase it's a faulty one to eliminate this possibility. Checked the terminals ontop of the battery that lead to different systems all the contacts seem good.

Are there any earth points around the battery location that i can check?

Any help is much appreciated.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Sudden power loss to all electrics

Post by iichel »

Have a look at the fuses on top of the battery for hairline fractures and clean battery terminals.