Paint touch up

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Greenranger
New
Drives: GTI+

Paint touch up

Post by Greenranger »

Hi all, any recommendations for vw touch up paint. Some absolute tool left their shopping trolley in the middle of the car park and thanks to the wind it hit my bumper! Only about a 3mm chip but I want to try patch it sooner rather than later.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Paint touch up

Post by SRGTD »

You should be able to get a paint touch up kit from your local VW dealer’s parts department - they’ll probably ask you for the paint code for the colour of your car, which should be on the vehicle sticker on the boot floor near the spare wheel well. The paint kit should come with base (colour) coat and clear lacquer. I’d recommend not using the the brush fixed to the inside of the cap to apply the paint as IMO it’s too large for painting in most paint chips, and is likely to leave an unsightly blob. You can get more precision in applying the paint with something like a cocktail stick or the end of an unfolded paper clip.

Alternatively, you could try something like a Chipex paint repair kit. I’ve used one and found it takes a bit of practice to get good results, but the beauty of the Chipex kit is that if you’re unhappy with the results, you can remove the paint you’ve applied with the blending solution supplied as part of the kit and then start again. There are videos showing how to use it on the Chipex website and on YouTube.
Greenranger
New

Post by Greenranger »

That’s great thank you! Can safely say I almost cried when I saw the trolley against my car.
Will definitely use a cocktail stick to apply then, fingers crossed
Fastbuck
New
Drives: 2016 Polo R Line 110PS

Post by Fastbuck »

Dr Colour Chip is a great paint system. Really reduces the look of that DIY paint blob. Simple process and easy to get a half decent result.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Fastbuck wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:46 pm Dr Colour Chip is a great paint system. Really reduces the look of that DIY paint blob. Simple process and easy to get a half decent result.
Yes, I’ve heard of people getting good results with Dr Colour Chip.

The Dr Colour Chip kits are very similar - if not pretty much the same - as the Chipex kits. I found that it does take a little practice to get good results with these kits, and to be very gentle when using the blending solution to remove any excess paint you’ve applied, otherwise you can unintentionally remove the paint from the stone chip repair(s)! However, I much prefer them to using VW’s own paint touch up paint now, as IMO it’s easier to get a decent result and rectify any results you’re not happy with.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Chipex or equivalent is easier to get good results than with the VW kit, because the chipex one has no lacquer layer to consider. Word to the wise though, it's really not worth spending silly money on extra blending solution. Buy a bottle of meths - use it neat if you want to pull all the paint off and start again, about70% (diluted with water) if you want to use it as a blending solution.
Greenranger
New

Post by Greenranger »

I got a really great needle tip kit from eBay (of all places) in the end. Primer, paint and lacquer. Absolutely outstanding colour match. Shall see how it holds up but currently I’m beyond impressed
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Greenranger wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:04 pm I got a really great needle tip kit from eBay (of all places) in the end. Primer, paint and lacquer. Absolutely outstanding colour match. Shall see how it holds up but currently I’m beyond impressed
Glad you got it sorted. The first stone chip on a new car is always the worst.

One of the first things I buy when I get a new car is some touch up paint (I sometimes buy it before I get the car). IMO it’s not a wasted purchase and will be used, as stone chips are an inevitable consequence of owning and driving a car.
Greenranger
New

Post by Greenranger »

100% it’s safely stored in my boot for the next time, hopefully a long way off but you can never be too sure
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

When the VW dealer damaged my bonnet (two chips) looked like somebody had dropped a 15mm open ended, I took it to the VW recommended spray shop to get it repaired. My cars colour is Energetic Orange. The spray people said it was a bit of a b***h to match, and they had to do the whole bonnet, and the total cost was £428.32. I asked for a bottle of touch-up paint from the batch they mixed up. which they did, with some clear coat to seal the paint. These metallic paints of today take some matching.
These people who have these candy apple type paint jobs done must cost a fortune?
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

Find a local paint factors and they will be able to get the paint made up in a touch up bottle with a brush at around £5 per bottle. Take the owners manual with you when you go as it will have the build sticker in it with the paint code on it, the sticker used to be in the boot on previous models.
Don’t use the brush to apply the paint instead use a toothpick, apply the paint to the toothpick by wiping the pick on the brush and tapping the pick on the spot until the desired amount is applied