Changing Speedo cluster from MPH to KPH

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Kr1s
New
Drives: 1.2 TDI 2010

Changing Speedo cluster from MPH to KPH

Post by Kr1s »

Hi,

I'm about to buy a new speedo cluster for my Polo 6r, and I'm guessing the milage is stored in it, so when I install it my milage will be wrong? Is there any way to change the milage on it?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Changing Speedo cluster from MPH to KPH

Post by iichel »

there are several tools to do so. but did you realise you also need to deal with your immobiliser?
Kr1s
New

Post by Kr1s »

I found this video but it's on a 2001 Toyota, do you have any idea if it would work on the polo?
He does the odometer like halfway through the video.

I also just ordered a Hex-V2 so hopefully that will be enough. All other searching has led to nowhere except for that vid.
Kr1s
New

Post by Kr1s »

After some reading, seems like it might be much easier swapping the plates between the two but I'll have to see when it arrives.

If I just swap the plates from MPH to KPH will it still match the real speed or does the speedo needle need to be changed etc?
grahams
New
Drives: JDM Polo 6c Highline, 981 Cayman

Post by grahams »

Change the dial facia, providing the increments are the same the needle doesn't need asjusting. Make a note of where the needle is when you take it off and put it back on. Any change or rotation to the stepped motor will put it out of wack. Make sure the donor clocks have the same min and max values. Only if the top end is stepped will it need re-coding.

You will need to change the region on the clocks by coding them to amend the odo. The speed display setting is a setting in the GUI I believe.
Thanos
New
Drives: Polo 6R 1.2 TDI BM

Post by Thanos »

You can change the dial(s), but you will need to change the scales with VDOeditor.

You can find VDO editor here: https://skodapilot.com/vdoeditor/?lang=en

You will need a serial programmer with SOIC-8 clip:
You can find a guide on how to use the serial programmer with VDO dashboards I made here: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=76679
H2Deetoo
Getting There!
Drives: VW UP/Passat B6

Post by H2Deetoo »

If you swap the dials you will indeed need to change the scales in the eeprom to make the needle show the correct speeds.

If you don't want to disassemble your cluster to read out the eeprom, I have developed some client/server toolset which allows me to remotely access your cluster (to read/write eeprom, or immo, or mileage) and can be used which cheaply available canbus cables.

You can PM me when interested.

Regards,
H2Deetoo