GTI performance blunted by new E10 Fuel ?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

GTI performance blunted by new E10 Fuel ?

Post by Gee40 »

Not sure if its me going mad or has anyone else noticed a dip in performance when using the new E10 Fuel that is blighting the UK?

I get that its introduction is designed to help the environment with the higher percentage of ethanol resulting in less CO2 emitted per litre used, but I've also read that MPG is slightly worse than the old E5. If this is the case, does anyone know how much more fuel will be used per mile driven using E10 and whether this increase in fuel used will negate the environment benefit.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Re: GTI performance blunted by new E10 Fuel ?

Post by CarbonChaos »

Your 6C GTi should be running on super unleaded @ 97 ron or higher (mine has been on shell v-power from day one ) ,which is still E5 and i belive will remain so for the foreseeable future
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

the gti will run fine on 95 ron no problem

the issue is that if it is the first tank it will probably take a little bit the adjust the fuel trims to account for the very slight reduction on calorific energy.

far too much scare mongering going around imho

germany started using e10 around 2011 so a fair amount of time before the UK
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Post by Gee40 »

Thanks for the reply chaps. It has run well on 95 RON since new but after a number of fill ups since E10 became universal a few months back I thought the performance felted a bit blunted ( it may well be the additional weight of my now 18 year old son and a few extra KG ive out on in the last 5 years as middle age has arrived LOL!) Previously I have tried a couple of tanks of V Power and couldn't tell the difference as the Polo is Box standard. Our other car ( Fiat 124 Spider ) is remapped and does much prefer V Power
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

mine is so far away from stock i do have to use 99 ron fuel (tesco momentum) so never actually used e10

it probably dropped in power on the first tank then has sort of come back good gradually

it has got enough headroom in the fueling to support it and all the right sensors so should just be a slight drop in fuel economy
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

Dink wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:39 pm the gti will run fine on 95 ron no problem
Agree totally it will run just fine on 95 Ron, but if you look in the fuel door it states 97 Ron is preferred, if I’m low on fuel and away from home I have no issue adding some regular fuel to get me home if 97 is not available but always top it off with super unleaded when I can
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

CarbonChaos wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:59 pm
Dink wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:39 pm the gti will run fine on 95 ron no problem
Agree totally it will run just fine on 95 Ron, but if you look in the fuel door it states 97 Ron is preferred, if I’m low on fuel and away from home I have no issue adding some regular fuel to get me home if 97 is not available but always top it off with super unleaded when I can
mine just says 95 minimum
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

Dink wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:39 pm mine just says 95 minimum
Same with mine although I still pretty much only use V power, or Ethanol-free synergy 99 when I can. But the 169.9 per litre is making it difficult.