Cleaning throttle body?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw)

Cleaning throttle body?

Post by wolfie »

I've have a little niggle with tick-over not settling down quite as it should. Car feels absolutely fine, however when the car comes to a halt instead of falling straight down to around 680rpm it's sticking at 800-900. It's a bit odd, in if I tap the throttle peddle (from the side not up and down!) it settles back to where it should be at 680rpm. It almost feels like there is a return spring missing. It's been happening for quite a while but feels like it's getting worse.

Question is, can I remove and clean the throttle body without the need to re-adapt the body? Or is there a way to cheat it, force a re-learn?
Last edited by wolfie on Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Re: Cleaning throttle body?

Post by Dink »

it's a drive by wire setup so you hitting the throttle pedal wouldn't directly effect the throttle body.

so if hitting the pedal fixes it, it would be the pedal at fault.

could possibly be the potentiometer sticking
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw)

Re: Cleaning throttle body?

Post by wolfie »

Dink wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:18 pm it's a drive by wire setup so you hitting the throttle pedal wouldn't directly effect the throttle body.
Those were my thoughts. It's maybe a potentiometer in the pedal that's starting to fail or the throttle body possibly sticking. I thought I'd go throttle body first as it costs next to nothing to just have a look and give it a clean anyway.
Would a dodgy pedal sensor not generate a DTC?