OEM speaker upgrade

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JB6C
New
Drives: Polo Match Edition Tdi

OEM speaker upgrade

Post by JB6C »

Evening All
I have a 2017 Polo Match Edition Tdi as a work commuter (100 round trip) with the Composition Media head unit. Although I am happy with the features it has, my last 5 VW’s have all had the Dynaudio option ticked and the speakers in the Polo are sadly lacking in comparison. I’m so out of touch with aftermarket audio upgrades. The last time I ventured into a car audio shop was in the 90’s!!
I have been looking blindly at a few options and saw the Focal Inside VW Plug and play package that looks like it might do the job albeit expensively which replaces all the standard speakers and adds an amp that goes behind the Media screen and small sub that would fit in the boot.
I’m not after anything that will loosen my fillings but want something better than the standard set up that part from improved sound still looks OEM.Went for a chat today at a place that sells the Focal kit for a bit of advice and they recommended using Alpine speakers instead with a sub and amp combined that would do the job just as well in their opinion for a bit less money.

So..... Has anyone got any experience of Alpine SPG 17CS, Alpine SPG C2 and Alpine PWE S8 to give me an opinion on the merits of these speakers🤔 Even better if you have it in your Polo
They would also fit new speaker mounts and Dynamat sound deadening to the doors to improve the sound.
Thanks for reading 👍
Viperslider
New
Drives: I drive many vehicles

Re: OEM speaker upgrade

Post by Viperslider »

The CS would give you a nice sound stage with the tweeters being separate but if you can, go for the S series and add an amp then that would be a really decent set up for the money.
JB6C
New

Post by JB6C »

Viperslider wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:09 am The CS would give you a nice sound stage with the tweeters being separate but if you can, go for the S series and add an amp then that would be a really decent set up for the money.
Thanks. So are we talking Alpine S S65 and Alpine S S65C as a direct replacement for the speakers? and Alpine SWE 1200 Powered Sub? These look like the level above the G range 🤔
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

The first thing i would do is add an amp to the stock setup.

the biggest issue is the tiny chip amp in the stock unit.

i have a pioneer gm-D1004 mini amp fitted it has improved things no end (has added a lot more depth to the sound) but i'd recommend to avoid it and fit a vibe microamp 65.4 (i have one ready to replace the pioneer but want to log some CAN data first using the current harness i've modified)

this amp is basically plug and play with a T harness (connects2 CT10VW02) and also gives you a remote turn on output if you did add a sub later on (the remote turn on uses audio sense so will work without ignition on)
Viperslider
New
Drives: I drive many vehicles

Post by Viperslider »

JB6C wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:43 am
Viperslider wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:09 am The CS would give you a nice sound stage with the tweeters being separate but if you can, go for the S series and add an amp then that would be a really decent set up for the money.
Thanks. So are we talking Alpine S S65 and Alpine S S65C as a direct replacement for the speakers? and Alpine SWE 1200 Powered Sub? These look like the level above the G range 🤔
Not exctly,

As Dink has mentioned, the output from the OEM unit is poor so ideally you would want to add am amp to the system.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

Looks an interesting upgrade

https://youtu.be/9-QjLCJsptI
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

Would the vibe microamp affect a factory backup camera or is it a separate harness from the quadlock into the unit in the glovebox?
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

It just breaks in to the power and speaker wires the rest of them just pass through.

It's not affected the backup camera on my car.

That's why you need the fully populated T harness rather than the partially populated.
JB6C
New

Post by JB6C »

Just an update for anyone interested.
Car went in yesterday and had a speaker upgrade. I was supposed to be having Alpine SPG 17CS in the front doors and A pillars and Alpine SPG 17C2 in the rear with a Alpine PWE S8 in the boot. When I picked it up it turns out they didn’t have the fronts in stock so upgraded (moneywise) to Focal ISVW 165 in the front and Focal ISVW 155 in the rear and also the Alpine PWE S8 in the boot. Also had sound deadening fitted to the doors. All done at the original quoted price 👍
Didn’t get an amp fitted 🤔 but with an option to upgrade later if needed.
Verdict.... 100 times better than the OEM speakers with a bright natural sound with enough bass or me and pleasantly surprised that the OEM head unit appears to be well up to the job without the amp.
L1ARR
New
Drives: Hunting for a special 6c GTI

Post by L1ARR »

JB6C wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:18 pm Just an update for anyone interested.
Car went in yesterday and had a speaker upgrade. I was supposed to be having Alpine SPG 17CS in the front doors and A pillars and Alpine SPG 17C2 in the rear with a Alpine PWE S8 in the boot. When I picked it up it turns out they didn’t have the fronts in stock so upgraded (moneywise) to Focal ISVW 165 in the front and Focal ISVW 155 in the rear and also the Alpine PWE S8 in the boot. Also had sound deadening fitted to the doors. All done at the original quoted price 👍
Didn’t get an amp fitted 🤔 but with an option to upgrade later if needed.
Verdict.... 100 times better than the OEM speakers with a bright natural sound with enough bass or me and pleasantly surprised that the OEM head unit appears to be well up to the job without the amp.
How does this sound now it’s beaded in?
JB6C
New

Post by JB6C »

Well, it’s fine now if it’s cranked up but seemed lacking for general use I.e radio at normal everyday volumes. I am comparing it to my Mini Cooper S which has the Harmon Kardon option fitted which is night and day better at all volumes. I have had an amp fitted now (Focal Impulse 4.320) to the Polo since the last post and it has improved the situation significantly but still doesn’t have the all round clarity of the Harmon Kardon. It just doesn’t resonate around the car like the Mini set up does.
Previously my last 5 cars (Scirocco’s and Golf’s) had the Dynaudio option too which had spoiled me somewhat and I was hoping that changing the speakers and amp might get me somewhere closer to that. Don’t get me wrong, it’s 100% better than stock but in my opinion its better (and cheaper🤪) to tick the upgrade option on a new car than to fit it retrospectively.
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Post by Aquavalver »

I got the Focal Expert PS 165V1 for the front and Access 165ac for the rear. Did you use the tweeters in the rear? For the amp/sub I got a Pioneer TS-WX7-DA and have in below the split level shelf. It ads quite a bit of bass, but I now need to sound deaden the door cards!
Attachments
tempImage29poZT.gif
tempImage29poZT.gif (6.08 MiB) Viewed 3165 times