Discover Navigation Pro - worth it?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
tom.wright
New
Drives: 2023 Polo GTI, Pure White

Discover Navigation Pro - worth it?

Post by tom.wright »

Hello all

This past weekend I ended up ordering myself a brand new 2022 model GTI! As much as I still love my current 2019 GTI+ it is now nearing the end of the PCP agreement and it ended up working out more worthwhile to use its trade in value on a new one than it was to try and refinance it - and I get something more up to date.

As it's a factory order (my current one was a dealer stock car), I've beefed up the options list on this one. But one thing I haven't been sure about is the optional Discover Navigation 'Pro' upgrade. It seems nowadays that they all come with Navigation as standard fit (at least on the GTI), but from what I can tell the screen is essentially the same unit as my 2019 one. While I like the look of the bigger Pro one, I can't work out what makes it worth the extra £800 as an option, other than voice control (I use Google anyway), and being able to show maps on both screens (again, I use Google anyway)!

Can anyone shed any light on whether this option is worth it or is the standard Navigation OK?

Cheers
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Discover Navigation Pro - worth it?

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve never had VW factory sat nav in any of the VW’s I’ve owned. From what I’ve read on other forums, the £800 extra cost for the Pro version doesn’t represent good value for money.

As you use Google maps rather than the in-built sat nav, it seems pointless spending £800 on something you won’t be using - spend that money on petrol and enjoy driving your new car.
tom.wright
New

Post by tom.wright »

Yes good point. It seems to me an astronomical amount of money for just a bigger screen.

I'm just hoping that wireless Android Auto is supported with the standard one. Having to connect my phone with the cable is one of the biggest annoyances in my current car.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

I would be clarifying if the screen utilised it’s entire area whilst connected to android auto / carplay.

I have a sneaky feeling it will shrink back down to the size of the 19 plate gti+ once connected.

Also have a feeling you lose the physical buttons and maybe 4 of the shortcut buttons. Not gospel however dyor.
tom.wright
New

Post by tom.wright »

ad_182_uk wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:03 pm Also have a feeling you lose the physical buttons and maybe 4 of the shortcut buttons. Not gospel however dyor.
Yep can confirm that. The demonstrator that I test drove had the bigger unit (didn't realise until afterwards), and it lacks the buttons and the volume and selection knobs. The volume adjustment is by a haptic swipe control instead. Wasn't able to test Android Auto though.
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Based on the updated Polo news room website the new Polo has this “ In the case of the Polo Style and Polo R-Line, the Ready 2 Discover Infotainment system also comes as standard. The spectrum of We Connect Plus can be extended to include Streaming & Internet, Internet Radio and a Wi-Fi hotspot. For the first time, App-Connect can be integrated in Ready 2 Discover not just by USB-C, but also as App-Connect Wireless.”

It looks like it does have wireless car play / app connect! I am very excited to hear about that. I do not know if it is for the standard 8” and 9.2” infotainment but either way it’s a very useful feature to have.

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/ ... ystem-7268
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

IIRC the facelift, no matter which stereo you choose, will have wireless carplay and so on. The problem is, whilst wireless is great coupled with a wireless charger, that music quality is compromised. So it all depends on what you value most.
VWPolo1_0
New
Drives: 2022 VW Polo AW 1.0 TSI 95bhp

Post by VWPolo1_0 »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:49 am Based on the updated Polo news room website the new Polo has this “ In the case of the Polo Style and Polo R-Line, the Ready 2 Discover Infotainment system also comes as standard. The spectrum of We Connect Plus can be extended to include Streaming & Internet, Internet Radio and a Wi-Fi hotspot. For the first time, App-Connect can be integrated in Ready 2 Discover not just by USB-C, but also as App-Connect Wireless.”

It looks like it does have wireless car play / app connect! I am very excited to hear about that. I do not know if it is for the standard 8” and 9.2” infotainment but either way it’s a very useful feature to have.

My Dutch 2022 VW Polo style has the 8" touch screen, so with the physical volume knobs, and has wireless carplay and android auto :)
I think it comes standard with the ready 2 discover infotainment system, regardless of the 8" or 9.2" screen.
VWPolo1_0
New

Post by VWPolo1_0 »

ad_182_uk wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:45 pm IIRC the facelift, no matter which stereo you choose, will have wireless carplay and so on. The problem is, whilst wireless is great coupled with a wireless charger, that music quality is compromised. So it all depends on what you value most.
Oh and also, when I use both google maps and spotify through wireless android auto, while charging wirelessly, my phone overheats. This results in the wireless charging stopping, meaning my phone eventually fully discharges :S

That's just an issue with my Google Pixel 5 though. Shouldn't be a universal issue.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

VWPolo1_0 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:32 pm
ad_182_uk wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:45 pm IIRC the facelift, no matter which stereo you choose, will have wireless carplay and so on. The problem is, whilst wireless is great coupled with a wireless charger, that music quality is compromised. So it all depends on what you value most.
Oh and also, when I use both google maps and spotify through wireless android auto, while charging wirelessly, my phone overheats. This results in the wireless charging stopping, meaning my phone eventually fully discharges :S

That's just an issue with my Google Pixel 5 though. Shouldn't be a universal issue.
There’s been a number of cases reported on Golf forums of mk8 Golf owners with overheating phones while charging wirelessly. I don’t know which phones were being charged at the time, but I dare say they won’t all have been Google Pixel 5.
VWPolo1_0
New

Post by VWPolo1_0 »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:59 pm
VWPolo1_0 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:32 pm

There’s been a number of cases reported on Golf forums of mk8 Golf owners with overheating phones while charging wirelessly. I don’t know which phones were being charged at the time, but I dare say they won’t all have been Google Pixel 5.
I'll check it out. The phone, however, also did it in my previous car, where I had a wireless charging phone holder, so figured it was just the phone. Either way, I'll probably just keep using a cable :)
tom.wright
New

Post by tom.wright »

Good to know that they all have the wireless Android Auto now! I also specced the wireless charging.

Hoping I don't have the overheating issue with my Samsung S20 Ultra as I have real problems with the cable staying connected in my current Polo - every bump I go over causes Android Auto to disconnect.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

VWPolo1_0 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:29 pm
Harrihealey02 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:49 am Based on the updated Polo news room website the new Polo has this “ In the case of the Polo Style and Polo R-Line, the Ready 2 Discover Infotainment system also comes as standard. The spectrum of We Connect Plus can be extended to include Streaming & Internet, Internet Radio and a Wi-Fi hotspot. For the first time, App-Connect can be integrated in Ready 2 Discover not just by USB-C, but also as App-Connect Wireless.”

My Dutch 2022 VW Polo style has the 8" touch screen, so with the physical volume knobs, and has wireless carplay and android auto :)
I think it comes standard with the ready 2 discover infotainment system, regardless of the 8" or 9.2" screen.
My 2019 GTI has wireless charging in imho it is a waste of time because:
A) The phone overheats when charging
B) The phone does move around in the bay and there is no notch to keep it in place for wireless charging meaning that more often than not the error pops up on the infotainment screen stating phone not charging click OK to clear, or somethng like that.
What I do is just turn my phone so its screen side down in the bay and therefore cannot charge wirelessly. If I do need to charge it I use the USB interface then also have access to GM and Waze.
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

Today I (we) finally decided to stick with another Polo to replace our (her) 2019 GTI+.

However, I’ve decided the fun is over and gone for a factory build Polo R 110 DSG. 28 weeks delivery. Ouch!

At no time would I consider the £800+ GPS add on, because (a) my dear wife never, ever needs a satnav for where she travels and (b) I always use a stick on Garmin with the added functionality that I enjoy.

Mandatory extras were Hot Seats, Keyless go and Spare Wheel.

Oh, it’s purple!
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

Post by LEEA123 »

Hi all, i am waiting for my polo gti, and coming from a golf eight style, I can confirm the wireless charging is so bad I did not want it on the polo.
If you have a phone case its very hit and miss, may work for a minute or so, may then stop, and then come back on, any movement on the phone it just stops working or says it cannot charge the phone, There is nothing to hold the phone in place. I also had overheating issues with it, with an iPhone and google maps, and it got so hot it caused the phone to shut down after an hour or so.
Google maps is very hungry for power and generates a lot of heat, add that to wireless charging heat it was not a good combo.
So ended up using apple maps which works good for me, and i never use the wireless charging now, it just does not work good enough, really a bad design in a way, to get it even working sort of ok, i needed to remove the phone case and try to secure it in a very precise place.

So now I just get in, plug it in, and all good,