noise on full lock , left or right turn

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

noise on full lock , left or right turn

Post by LEEA123 »

Hi all, just noticed on my 2022 polo gti I am getting a noise on full lock, left or right turning. Hard to describe the noise, the closest i can say is like a rubbing noise I hear, only it is on full lock. Just does not sound right to me, Just wondering if anyone had any similar issues when on full lock. Thanks
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: noise on full lock , left or right turn

Post by lancslad1985 »

Hi Lea, there was another post on this a week or so ago. My gti makes a noise on full lock as does my wife’s r line. I wouldn’t worry.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

Same noise here on full lock.

It's the creaking noise (like an old ships timbers) at low speeds that's starting to annoy me! Definitely sounds like it's just behind the steering wheel. Clock spring maybe?
Unless it gets worse, I shall just turn the radio up and ignore it until its due a service.

Cars... got to laugh.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

LEEA123 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:26 pm Hi all, just noticed on my 2022 polo gti I am getting a noise on full lock, left or right turning. Hard to describe the noise, the closest i can say is like a rubbing noise I hear, only it is on full lock. Just does not sound right to me, Just wondering if anyone had any similar issues when on full lock. Thanks
It could be the ribs on the rubber boots that cover/protect the CV joints that are making the noise as they’re compressed together and move apart while rotating under full lock. If so, it’s nothing to worry about.
Polo72
New
Drives: Polo Life 1.0 Tsi

Post by Polo72 »

Mines booked in on Friday for various things and this is one of the issues I’ve raised with them so I’ll update when I have more information on this noise.
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Mine used to make this noise. It was the gearbox. I read up on a technical notice bulletin that the 5 speed manual gearbox was known to make the noise when the car was on full lock. I verified it by changing gears when on full lock and the noise charged frequency as I was altering the gears. Never got it fixed but apparently the oil needs to be charged for a specific type. This bulletin was published back in 2010 or so and I assumed my 2019 one would have had the updated spec oil from factory. It was the 5 speed manual 1.6TDi.
Polo72
New
Drives: Polo Life 1.0 Tsi

Post by Polo72 »

So back from the garage the noise is the drive shaft boots (cv boot) there is a technical service bulletin which I’ve read from the garage and it basically says it’s not going to cause any mechanical issue it’s just the rubber boot. I think there was something about a revised part but I said don’t bother it’s not hurting it and I can well imagine that eventually the revised part will end up doing it.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Polo72 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:48 am So back from the garage the noise is the drive shaft boots (cv boot) there is a technical service bulletin which I’ve read from the garage and it basically says it’s not going to cause any mechanical issue it’s just the rubber boot. I think there was something about a revised part but I said don’t bother it’s not hurting it and I can well imagine that eventually the revised part will end up doing it.
The noise hasn’t been described in this thread, but I suspect it’s a ‘squelching’ type of noise - similar to the noise you get from a new car’s tyres treads changing direction on a dealers shiny showroom floor when the car is being manoeuvred into or out of a tight space. New tyre treads are likely to still have some of the tyre mold release agent on them from the manufacturing process making them less grippy than under normal use, and the less grippy tread on a shiny floor can make a ‘squelching’ noise. It usually takes a few miles driving on a normal road surface to remove the this slightly shiny, less grippy surface from the tyre tread. Similarly, the surface of new CV boots are likely to appear shiny and be slightly tacky to the touch, and because of this slight tackiness, as per my earlier post they may make a noise as the ribbed surfaces of the boot are compressed together and move apart while rotating under full lock.

The noise is likely to stop over time as the miles are clocked up as the surface of the CV boots get covered in road dust, which should stop the stickiness (a bit like applying talcum powder to a surface to reduce friction).