Front Wipers not working

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
gwilliams2000
New
Drives: 9N 2004

Front Wipers not working

Post by gwilliams2000 »

I have recently got a VW Polo 9N 2004 and the front wipers were not working. I expected it to be something simple like a fuse or wiper motor. I have checked both of these out and they are ok. There is no power coming to pins 1 or 2 of the wiper connector. When activating the stalk I hear a relay clicking when going between the two speeds, but no relay clicking when going to off or intermittent. My suspicion is a relay on the on board supply control unit. Is this likely to be the case or could it be something else? Is the on board power supply control unit easy to replace, as I assume it is hidden away somewhere behind the dashboard? If I was to replace it with a second hand one would it need any reprogramming or would it just be plug and play? The alternative would be to replace the relay on the board. Any help would be most appreciated as I would like to get the car back on the road as soon as possible with minimal expense.
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Re: Front Wipers not working

Post by Maarten »

Could just be the stalk that's ready for replacement
gwilliams2000
New

Post by gwilliams2000 »

Thanks. Is there a quick and easy way to test the stalk or do I need to dismantle the steering?
Maarten
Silver Member

Post by Maarten »

Testing
Do the wipers react when pushing stalk down (1 time wipe)
Does the windscreenwasher motor engage when pulling the stalk towards you?
Does the rearwiper work? (Push 2x forward for rearscreen washing, 1 time for interval)

The BCM is located (on LHD) a little higher than where you find the bonnet opener. (lots of cables coming out)
In that same area you will find the relays
Not sure if 9N/9N3 still had a seperate relay, but if they did it could be a nr 19 or 99 (but I thought that it is being done throught the BCM)
gwilliams2000
New

Post by gwilliams2000 »

Thanks for your reply Maarten
Maarten wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:22 am Testing
Do the wipers react when pushing stalk down (1 time wipe). NO
Does the windscreenwasher motor engage when pulling the stalk towards you? YES
Does the rearwiper work? (Push 2x forward for rearscreen washing, 1 time for interval) YES
I will have a go at locating the BCM. If I can access the connectors easily, I should be able to confirm if the fault is internal to the BCM or in the stalk.
Maarten
Silver Member

Post by Maarten »

Laying on your back you can see the connectors, testing should be easy.
Just have to know what pin to check. :wink:
gwilliams2000
New

Post by gwilliams2000 »

I managed to locate the BCM, and tested the wiring between the stalk and BCM which was good. Also verified the wiring to the wiper motor and that was also good. Removed the BCM and checked out the internal relay and that was also good. So bought a second hand BCM and fitted. Now the wipers work but I have the airbag warning light on. I assume that the second hand BCM had had its airbags activated. Cannot remove the airbag warning light. Any ideas?