Disable bluetooth when using Android Auto?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Portman
New
Drives: 2020 1.0 TSI 115 R-Line 5dr

Disable bluetooth when using Android Auto?

Post by Portman »

I noticed whenever I plug my phone into USB port for getting access to Android Auto it turns on my bluetooth. Since I am using a cable I don't have a need for bluetooth being on my phone.

Is there a setting within the infotainment system to disable this bluetooth auto start that keeps occurring?

It's quite annoying as sometimes I forget it's even on which drains battery and makes my phone less secure.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Re: Disable bluetooth when using Android Auto?

Post by grazuncle2 »

good question!

I'm interested to know myself 👍
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I speak under correction but am sure Bluetooth needs to be enabled when using Android Auto, even with a cable connected. I may be wrong but do recall reading about it sometime back.

Something else I've also noticed (probably unrelated) is that when my phone is conected via Bluetooth only (no cables) WhatsApp voice messages do not play on the phone or car speakers when trying to listen to them. If I connect the phone to the in-car USB port and Android Auto activates the WhatsApp voice notes will play through the cars speakers.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

I agree..

I googled it and there are many similar questions and a lot of answers (well off the point) that Bluetooth has high bandwidth.. :roll:

but no answers as to why it is needed if you already have a connection (USB)..
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

In my searches i found a three year old thread on Quora.

Person said the USB lead only powers the phone and Bluetooth is for communication with the display/car.

I will have to try this out.. I assumed I got communication with the USB lead (and then a nag about the Bluetooth) but will have to try it out before making any assumptions.

I'd like a definitive answer though.. someone knows LOL
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

If you have the latest facelifted polo, then you don’t need to use a cable anymore. At least that’s how Car Play now works, it’s wireless over Bluetooth. I’d assume Android Auto would be the same. I prefer this as it means no longer reducing the battery life of your phone having your phone plugged in if you want access to Car Play for an hours drive.

If it’s the pre-facelift then that did need to be plugged in but no idea about Bluetooth.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

This is very strange...

just tried this out..

switched BT 'ON' on along with location my phone. switched ignition on and selected APP on the MultiMedia screen... saw a message Contacts Updated

Aaah I thought.. we're connected! Then I selected Android Auto app on the phone and the car's display immediately said connect USB cable... Did that and up comes the map with my location. disconnected the cable and the map disappeared and message to connect cable again - after doing that the map appears.

I have read that you need USB to set-up Android Auto. However on my car, that obviously does communicate via BT, will not operate Android Auto without connecting the USB cable.