Rainwater in fuel filler compartment

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Polonut
New
Drives: 2020 Polo Match 1Litre TSI

Rainwater in fuel filler compartment

Post by Polonut »

Hi Guys
my recently acquired 2020 Polo has decided to accomadate rain water inside the fuel filler flap area. I have not looked at this fully yet - but notice that other models in the VW range apparently have a drain hole that often gets blocked. Is there such a hole on the Mk 6 Polo? Or is there a 'mod' that needs to be done?
Thanks
C
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Rainwater in fuel filler compartment

Post by SRGTD »

Yes, there’s a drain hole - see picture below.

IMG_1189.jpeg
IMG_1189.jpeg (616.13 KiB) Viewed 1320 times

Any water in the filler flap area should drain to the outside of the car down a flexible plastic tube that’s attached to the reverse side of the drain hole. As far as I’m aware, the tube runs from the drain hole, down in the void space between the right hand rear wheel arch liner and wheel arch, and it exits behind the rear wheel. It’d be worth checking the exit end of the drain tube as well to ensure it’s not blocked.

If you’re planning on using some type of probe and inserting it into the drain hole in the fuel filler cap compartment to clear any blockage, be careful the drain tube doesn’t become detached!
Last edited by SRGTD on Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Yes mk6 does have hole in this compartment and by my experience it gets blocked way too often. I have trimmer string (used for cutting grass, made from plastic, about 0,75mm thick) in car and once in while I poke through until I see it belove car :)
Polonut
New
Drives: 2020 Polo Match 1Litre TSI

Post by Polonut »

Brilliant response
thanks Guys, checked and found hole. It was completely filled with crud, level to plastic case. Have done the necessary and BINGO.
Thanks again
C
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@Polonut; It might be worth adding cleaning of the area behind the fuel filler flap to your regular car washing/ cleaning regime; that way you can prevent build up of dirt and future potential blockages of the drain hole.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe being a bit lazy and having compressed air duster spray cans, I tend to clean up the area round this drain entry point, then blast it with some compressed air, in fact this morning, I did just that to my younger daughter's 2019 SEAT Arona prior to her heading off back down to London.

What might aggravate this on that car and some other cars is either someone applying a cleaner to revive the black plastic - or that black plastic material is prone to "oozing" a sticky substance due to material instability, maybe similar to "out gassing" or some other reason - which will encourage dust to build up in that area.