A few DSG questions on the GTI

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

A few DSG questions on the GTI

Post by ad_182_uk »

Hello.

I was wondering. Can i roll the car forward and backward while the engine is off but ignition on and the selector in ‘N’.

I sometimes do this when i need to roll it about a metre so i can get round while washing the car. Just checking its not going to cause damage?

Also - when in rolling/queuing traffic i sometimes move from D to N and back to D etc rather than keep pressing the brake. Is this okay?

Did a quick google and the first result was ‘it will destroy your gearbox’ seems a bit dramatic?
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: A few DSG questions on the GTI

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I am not sure wrt your first quesiton but with regards to the second, there is no need to switch between D and N in start stop traffic because the clutch will automatically disengage when pressing the brake pedal.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member

Post by ad_182_uk »

But if its like a temporary traffic light and you know its going to be 2-3 mins can i put handbrake on and place in N?

Will it harm the box slipping in and out of neutral when rolling?
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member

Post by ad_182_uk »

Ok been through various google threads and its seems like;

Don’t coast in and out of D and N when in slow moving traffic

If there is a long wait (railway lights or something) it appears okay to put handbrake on, engage N and release footbrake so not blinding person behind with red light - can otherw confirm this is okay?

I cant find an answer to if you can push the car after putting the car in N by turning ignition on but not starting engine?
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Logic tells me that if the egnine is running and placed in N it should be fine, but just turning on the ignition (without turning on the engine) may not be a good idea. I cant explain my answer but makes sense to at least have the engine running, whereas with a manual gearbox it makes no difference.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member

Post by ad_182_uk »

Also. I sometimes notice a small hestitation after changing gear and applying throttle or if i have come off the accelerator then feather it on again straight away.

Everything seems fine though so wondered if its normal dsg quirks.
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

When transitioning between 'D' and 'N' without using the brake pedal in moving traffic, it's generally safe due to the built-in safeguards in the DSG gearbox. The gearbox has a lockout mechanism that prevents you from shifting into gears that are not permitted, like going from 'Drive' to 'Reverse' without stopping. This protection feature helps avoid potential damage to the gearbox by restricting gear changes that could harm it.

As for moving the vehicle when it’s in neutral, this will not cause any damage because the gearing is no longer linked to the wheels. Pushing it back and forth in N will be like pushing a manual car in neutral.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member

Post by ad_182_uk »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:13 pm When transitioning between 'D' and 'N' without using the brake pedal in moving traffic, it's generally safe due to the built-in safeguards in the DSG gearbox. The gearbox has a lockout mechanism that prevents you from shifting into gears that are not permitted, like going from 'Drive' to 'Reverse' without stopping. This protection feature helps avoid potential damage to the gearbox by restricting gear changes that could harm it.

As for moving the vehicle when it’s in neutral, this will not cause any damage because the gearing is no longer linked to the wheels. Pushing it back and forth in N will be like pushing a manual car in neutral.

Thank you for the clear and consise response. I am a bit of an overthinker!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

[quote=ad_182_uk post_id=599743 time=1693240649

Thank you for the clear and consise response. I am a bit of an overthinker!
[/quote]

I have never driven a car with DSG - yet, and my older daughter has a SEAT Leon Cupra and "has me on her insurance" - but I've resisted the requests to drive her car until I've got the answers to all the questions that you have asked!!!! She has "only" had this car since August 2019, I can that eventually, I'll probably need to drive it in for servicing etc as she is back working after having a child and it probably makes more sense if I carry out that task rather than her "man"!