Just bought a Polo GTI+ and have questions

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Just bought a Polo GTI+ and have questions

Post by PoloGTInoob »

Hey guys,

I recently bought a second hand 2020 Polo GTI+ and generally its a pretty good car. A few small questions i had, wondering if this is typical or likely an issue?

- quite a bit of torque steer. I know its expected with a 200HP FWD car but sometimes it really tugs. Is this normal or could be the tracking off?
- when in 2nd gear at 1,000-1,200 RPM theres a slight whine, does anyone else notice this? It might just be a normal sound from the gearbox or turbo ofcourse, but it doesnt seem to happen in other gears or different RPMs
- i get the strange "moo" noise when reversing. it worried me at first but i read on this forum that it is common and not a problem

Its going to the VW dealer in 2 weeks to get the alloys done, i can ask questions then. Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Just bought a Polo GTI+ and have questions

Post by SRGTD »

@PoloGTInoob; welcome to the forum.

I also have a 2020 Polo GTI+;
  • I’ve not experienced torque steer in my car; tyres can be the cause - what brand of tyres do you have and how worn are they?
  • I’ve not experienced the whining noise you describe.
  • I only get the ‘mooing’ noise when reversing if the brake discs have become wet (e.g. when washing the car) and the usual thin layer of surface rust forms on the discs. Once the surface rust has been removed through application of the brakes, there’s no more ‘mooing’ until the discs next get wet and the surface rust reforms on them. I also garage my car when I’m not using it so surface rust on the discs doesn’t happen when my car’s parked up.
PoloGTInoob
New

Post by PoloGTInoob »

Thanks for the reply.

- Im pretty sure its got the standard Bridgestone Turanza tyres on, which ive heard are not great. TBH the torque steer doesnt happen all the time, so it could also be the road surface or my steering exacerbating it. But it definitely happens and ive not experienced it in other, lower-power cars.

- interested to hear if anyone else has noticed this noise at 1000RPM in 2nd gear. Its quite subtle and i only realised about 2 weeks after getting the car.
TheRacingRat
Getting There!

Post by TheRacingRat »

There is a fix for the mooing noise, mine had it and they should fix it for free- there is a whole thread on it if you search. PS4s or Eagle F1s of equivalent will make a big difference to torque steer, Turanzas are a hard tyre good for durability tho.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

In my opinion, there can be a reasonable bit of torque steer if pushing on (especially in sport mode). Obviously depends on your driving style shall we say :)
The cars Torque vectoring system does not do as good a job as a proper limited slip diff. You just need to adapt your driving style (I'm the first to admit that I'm a bit heavy with my right foot).
It's one of the things that I do miss moving from a Hyundai I30N. Though lots of positives to offset this (EG. 4o+ mpg and a far better ride quality).