Switching from flexible to fixed service and oil advice

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
alaskan
New
Drives: 6C 1.2 2017

Switching from flexible to fixed service and oil advice

Post by alaskan »

I'm pondering the idea o switching from flexible oil service schedule to the fixed one as I think I fit the "fixed" category better (shorter trips 3-4 times a week, plus a few longer trips 1-2 times a month, and I like "sportier" driving and not sparing the accelerator every once in a while). I'm also used to servicing cars myself (oil, filters, brakes and other minor things) and have followed a 1 year/10000 km oil change interval with my previous car. With my 6C, I do have a few questions though.

I think that that the oil/service interval reminder can be reset quite easily via obdeleven or perhaps even without it (or without VCDS etc.) just by pressing a few buttons on the cluster if I remember correctly - does switching the service schedule require more coding apart from just resetting the interval? I would assume so, in order for the car to tell me the correct interval. If so, can this be done via obdeleven or do I have to use more advanced things such as VCDS?

The next thing is the oil choice itself. 6C uses 4 L of VW502 (recommended 5w-40) or VW504 (recommended 5w-30) depending on the chosen schedule. Every oil change so far was done with Castrol Edge 5w-30 (VW504), the car has done around 40k. Having used Castrol in my previous car as well, I searched for VW502 5w-40 spec Castrol Edge and found out that they used to sell it, it had the ACEA A3/B3 spec and conformed to VW502, but I can no longer find it in stock anywhere, and it is no longer even listed on the official Castrol site.
It seems that the only 5w-40 Castrol Edge is the ACEA C3 one which only has the "VW 505 00/ 505 01" spec and supposedly replaced the older A3/B3 (VW 502 00) one.

To sum it up - given that the newer C3 variant of Castrol Edge 5w-40 is only compatible with VW 505 00/501 which is supposedly for TDI engines, what would you recommend? Which 5w-40 oil do you guys use? Or 0w-40 even? Or perhaps should I stick to 5w-30 given that Castrol makes it in the VW 504 00 spec? Or screw the spec and use the C3? So many questions :D

Thanks for your advice.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Re: Switching from flexible to fixed service and oil advice

Post by ciclo »

The oil must strictly comply with the regulations recommended by the manufacturer. (currently more than ever)

You can buy original VW oil at official VW stores where you live.
The Castrol website tells you where you can make the purchase online, usually an Amazon store, which ships it to you the next day.
Currently I wouldn't buy it anywhere else, there are many scams that even the sellers themselves don't know how to differentiate.

In your case, VW504/507 LL (long life) is the one I would buy, that is, for flexible intervals (30,000 km or 2 years).
It doesn't make sense to go to fixed intervals (15000km or 1 year) in a 'commonly used vehicle'.

In the Instrument cluster Adaptations you can modify the service intervals to your liking, that is, you can modify it so that it warns you after 20,000 km or 1 and a half years or whatever you prefer... or also modify the current status of the next warning for the service.
I suppose OBD11 can do it, I don't know if it depends on the type of 'plug' you bought, or the fees you pay to be able to do things.🀭

With VCDS, VCP, ODIS and many other diagnostic tools it can be done without problems, on large, clear screens and without half the planet knowing that you are doing the service or anything in your car.πŸ˜„

---
There are too many urban legends and morons in these matters, especially of those who buy cheap oils or with monetary interest, we already know that money corrupts absolutely everything and conditions thoughts. 😊
Le_Combattant
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI 90 Cup

Post by Le_Combattant »

alaskan wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:54 pm I'm pondering the idea o switching from flexible oil service schedule to the fixed one as I think I fit the "fixed" category better (shorter trips 3-4 times a week, plus a few longer trips 1-2 times a month, and I like "sportier" driving and not sparing the accelerator every once in a while). I'm also used to servicing cars myself (oil, filters, brakes and other minor things) and have followed a 1 year/10000 km oil change interval with my previous car. With my 6C, I do have a few questions though.

I think that that the oil/service interval reminder can be reset quite easily via obdeleven or perhaps even without it (or without VCDS etc.) just by pressing a few buttons on the cluster if I remember correctly - does switching the service schedule require more coding apart from just resetting the interval? I would assume so, in order for the car to tell me the correct interval. If so, can this be done via obdeleven or do I have to use more advanced things such as VCDS?

The next thing is the oil choice itself. 6C uses 4 L of VW502 (recommended 5w-40) or VW504 (recommended 5w-30) depending on the chosen schedule. Every oil change so far was done with Castrol Edge 5w-30 (VW504), the car has done around 40k. Having used Castrol in my previous car as well, I searched for VW502 5w-40 spec Castrol Edge and found out that they used to sell it, it had the ACEA A3/B3 spec and conformed to VW502, but I can no longer find it in stock anywhere, and it is no longer even listed on the official Castrol site.
It seems that the only 5w-40 Castrol Edge is the ACEA C3 one which only has the "VW 505 00/ 505 01" spec and supposedly replaced the older A3/B3 (VW 502 00) one.

To sum it up - given that the newer C3 variant of Castrol Edge 5w-40 is only compatible with VW 505 00/501 which is supposedly for TDI engines, what would you recommend? Which 5w-40 oil do you guys use? Or 0w-40 even? Or perhaps should I stick to 5w-30 given that Castrol makes it in the VW 504 00 spec? Or screw the spec and use the C3? So many questions :D

Thanks for your advice.
For Oil choice:

Official VW 0W30 504/507 or the shell helix ultra professional av-l 0w30

Shell is the new official oil supplier for VW since 2020. Forgot Castrol and their s**t product.

When I was running on Castrol 5w30 m'y oil consumption was high: 400ml for 10000 km. Now whit the Shell it's almost nothing.

And I reduced oil change interval. Now it's every 10000 km.

Long Life service is the best thing to destroy engine.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

This extra oil consumption is absolutely necessary due to the construction characteristics of current engines, due to the way in which the vapors generated inside the engine are decanted.
The PCV valve ('current systems') allows the passage of oil and hydrocarbon vapors generated in the crankcase, expelling them to the intake manifold. In this way, these vapors will re-enter the combustion chamber to become part of the air-fuel mixture. To achieve complete combustion, the control unit (ECU) is responsible for adjusting the mixture so that it is optimal.
Thanks to this, the crankcase pressure will drop, reducing the possibility of bursting the joints and avoiding a greater emission of polluting gases.

Long life oils help not contaminate the planet. Each one chooses what they prefer, or a car, or a planet.

I am unaware of references to categorically state that the use of LL oils and flexible intervals end up destroying the engines.
My reference is that some time ago I sold an Audi A3, in which only LL inspections have been carried out, the last reference I have for this vehicle is that it has 390,000 km and it has never had a repair done for engine damage. Only the air inlet flap was changed during the second year of warranty due to recognized construction faults in the brand and the usual parts due to use/wear and maintenance.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

ciclo wrote: ↑Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:48 pm This extra oil consumption is absolutely necessary due to the construction characteristics of current engines, due to the way in which the vapors generated inside the engine are decanted.
The PCV valve ('current systems') allows the passage of oil and hydrocarbon vapors generated in the crankcase, expelling them to the intake manifold. In this way, these vapors will re-enter the combustion chamber to become part of the air-fuel mixture. To achieve complete combustion, the control unit (ECU) is responsible for adjusting the mixture so that it is optimal.
Thanks to this, the crankcase pressure will drop, reducing the possibility of bursting the joints and avoiding a greater emission of polluting gases.

Long life oils help not contaminate the planet. Each one chooses what they prefer, or a car, or a planet.

I am unaware of references to categorically state that the use of LL oils and flexible intervals end up destroying the engines.
My reference is that some time ago I sold an Audi A3, in which only LL inspections have been carried out, the last reference I have for this vehicle is that it has 390,000 km and it has never had a repair done for engine damage. Only the air inlet flap was changed during the second year of warranty due to recognized construction faults in the brand and the usual parts due to use/wear and maintenance.
I'm totally agree with you concerning oil consumption BUT, depending of the brand the evaporation rate is higher.

And on VW French Forum dedicated of Golf 7 (with also the 1.2 TSI engine), some of member tested out differend type of OIl.
And in conclusion, Castrol is the worst,

On top we can found Shell (official supplier for VW with Wolf and maybye Fuch)

That's why I switch to Shell Oil since 20000 km. Since this moment, my oil consumtion is lower, and also my fuel consumption too.

I don't trust LL oil few few reason:

-Modern engine runs hotter because of higher compression and turbo
-Oil degrades faster over 100Β°C

I saw many video from a French guy (specialized in VR6 rebuild) names "Coupable Detout" and many time we saw the damage of LL oil. Everything is clogged with some nasty stuff on the oil pan.
Oil is cooked, burned and segmentation is clogged also.

"Long life oils help not contaminate the planet. Each one chooses what they prefer, or a car, or a planet."

Burning oil is not what I call "eco friendly".
Last edited by Le_Combattant on Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

I don't buy the "oil consumption is necessary to save the planet deal". You're burning oil. Great if that was by design, but when your engine is chewing litres between services then you're not saving any planet anywhere.

Oil in combustion mixture drops octane rating too. Where's the genius in that? LSPI anyone?

But anyway, LL oils have a "stronger" formulation and I would've switched for 504/507 was it not for our high-sulphur content fuels here. They don't go together well.

If you're concerned about the long intervals then just swap out the 504/507 on a more regular basis. Don't need a 502. The 504/507 will usually get that engine cleaner inside than a 502.
Ditch Castrol, though. Try a Ravenol or Motul or Shell Helix.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

There are conditions that are mandatory if you use a combustion engine. I have never said that it is necessary for engines to consume oil 'to save the planet'. It is absolutely necessary due to the construction/design characteristics of current engines in order to reduce polluting gases.
At no time did I recommend any brand of oil, only where to buy it and how to do it. I wouldn't be able to do it despite my knowledge.
You, bravely, have recommended brands of oils, and I think it is a big mistake.πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

If I were responsible for the mobility of humanity, rest assured that you would all walk or cycle... from now on and forever.😁
If you want we can ask the AI what is the future of the human habitat, maybe no one wants to know the answer.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

ciclo wrote: ↑Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:24 pm There are conditions that are mandatory if you use a combustion engine. I have never said that it is necessary for engines to consume oil 'to save the planet'. It is absolutely necessary due to the construction/design characteristics of current engines in order to reduce polluting gases.
At no time did I recommend any brand of oil, only where to buy it and how to do it. I wouldn't be able to do it despite my knowledge.
You, bravely, have recommended brands of oils, and I think it is a big mistake.πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

If I were responsible for the mobility of humanity, rest assured that you would all walk or cycle... from now on and forever.😁
If you want we can ask the AI what is the future of the human habitat, maybe no one wants to know the answer.
Engine consume oil and it's normal.

But there is a difference between a consumption of 1L per 1000 km and 1L per 15000-30000 km.

If you consume 1L per 1000 km, your engine has serious internal issue. And I d'ont want to be inside the combustion chamber: full of burning oil, turbo too etc...

Why ? I recommend oils that have passed VW tests and are approved by VW itself.

Here is an exemple for the brand "Wolf"

Offical approval by VW for the 5W30 LL oil.

"If I were responsible for the mobility of humanity, rest assured that you would all walk or cycle... from now on and forever.😁
If you want we can ask the AI what is the future of the human habitat, maybe no one wants to know the answer."

Be sure that me too. And will add one more reason: my bank account.
Every two week I have to refill my car with premium petrol at around 1.99 euros/liter....
alaskan
New
Drives: 6C 1.2 2017

Post by alaskan »

Thanks for your insights guys. I can say that from my perspective and perhaps something we can all agree on, changing oil regularly (which goes hand in hand in looking after the car) and using a proper spec has more weight than going from one brand to another and another, of course assuming one's using oil from some of the more reputable brands.

As Ciclo and 2226 mentioned, I'll most likely stick to VW504/507 LL and just shorten the interval for my peace of mind. As for the brand, I might give Shell a try, but I haven't had any issues with Castrol so far, and I must say I've done a fair share of oil changes on multiple cars.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

alaskan wrote: ↑Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:11 pm Thanks for your insights guys. I can say that from my perspective and perhaps something we can all agree on, changing oil regularly (which goes hand in hand in looking after the car) and using a proper spec has more weight than going from one brand to another and another, of course assuming one's using oil from some of the more reputable brands.

As Ciclo and 2226 mentioned, I'll most likely stick to VW504/507 LL and just shorten the interval for my peace of mind. As for the brand, I might give Shell a try, but I haven't had any issues with Castrol so far, and I must say I've done a fair share of oil changes on multiple cars.
The advantage of the Shell oil is, it's coming from natural gas and not pretrol. This mean oil stay clean longer and doesn't cook like oil frying.
Also, the Shell has the highest TBN number (TBN (Total Base Number). I think it's 8.3 or 8.7 mg KOH/g.

Higher is this, higher oil quality us and capable to stay clean and let the internal of your engine clean.

For exemple the new version of EA211 engine need 508 Vag oil 0w20 which require a TBN of 8.3 minimum or higher.

Few brands match this standard, I don't think for Castrol and that's why (maybye) VW change to Shell, Wolf and Fuch to suplly oil.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Thanks for the document/report Le_Combattant. πŸ‘
Well, that's what I mentioned from the beginning, comply with the regulations recommended by the manufacturer.
Apart from those already mentioned, there are countless brands of oils on the market that comply with VW regulations and many of them are extremely unknown. If there are more varieties of oils to choose from, it will have a favorable effect on consumers' wallets, that is why I think it is a mistake to name certain brands of oil that undoubtedly have a high prestige.

Regarding oil consumption: Example.
I have a Golf7.5 1.0 TSI DKRF EA211 (50,000km) that I know how it works to its full extent, I use Castrol 0-20 LL IV VW 508 00/ 509 00 for flexible intervals (the one recommended by the manufacturer).
I have not measured the oil consumption with complete precision, but every 15,000km, this consumption is from the top of the oil dipstick to the middle of the measurement area, which if I remember correctly is approximately 200 - 250 ml. I consider it normal for this engine, this pattern has been repeated every 15,000 km (3 times).
I fill up what was consumed and continue with the service for flexible intervals up to 30,000km.
Currently, it sounds and works like a charm taking into account the peculiarities that it is a 3-cylinder engine, the performance and efficiency are 'optimal' according to the diagnostic tools (ODIS, VCDS, etc.).

If VW currently determines or recommends through 'erWin' other brands of oil, or new regulations for my engines, it will be what I will use for them.
For example, due to the chemical composition of the coolant there were some problems with the G13, my Golf7.5 was not affected, even so, I renewed it to G12evo.

It is obvious and evident that if an engine consumes one liter or liters of oil every 1000km there is something wrong with that engine, but I did not comment anything about this exaggerated oil consumption.

Btw, in erWin (maintenance PDF) there are all the regulations for each engine, climate zone or type of fuel used in each country.