Polo gti advice needed

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
soulman56
New
Drives: Golf

Polo gti advice needed

Post by soulman56 »

Hi,
I am looking at purchasing a new polo gti soon. I would be grateful for any advice on the car that will help me to make my final decision.
Im looking at buying a polo gti,
1. King's red metallic or reef blue
2 Panoramic Sunroof
3. Mobile phone preparation with inductive charging function
4. Heated seats
5. Rear view Camera
6. Driver assistance pack

I torn between the reef blue and the kings red colour so could do with some advice.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Re: Polo gti advice needed

Post by MikeDO »

If it was me, out of those two colors, I would personally go with the red.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Kings red but I’m bias as that’s my colour and it replaced a faulty reef blue I had :lol: :lol:

I did love reef blue and if you go back through the images page you’ll find the photos. However I think kings red looks better now, it’s bright on sunny days and on dull days it takes on almost a dark red hue.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@soulman56; Asking for advice on which paint colour you should choose runs the risk of adding confusion and just making the decision even more difficult, as you’re likely to get a range of different opinions.

IMHO colour choice is a very personal thing. For me, I don’t just consider the actual paint colour; I also consider factors such as;
  • ease of maintenance
  • which colour is best at ‘hiding’ swirl marks if a) you’re planning on using automatic car washes or entrusting your car washing duties to others (I don’t - my car is only ever washed by me) or b) you won’t be using a ‘safe’ wash technique (I always use a safe wash technique)
  • which colour is easiest when it comes to touching in those inevitable stone chips (and they will happen) so they’re not likely to be noticed
  • if you’re unfortunate enough to ever need paintwork repairs, which colour is likely to be easiest for matching the new paint to the factory paint
Purely based on whether I prefer Kings Red or Reef Blue, I’d probably go for Kings Red, although based on my additional criteria above, I wouldn’t choose either. My pre-facelift GTI+ is Pure White as for me, it ticks all of my additional criteria boxes, plus it was my favourite colour for a GTI and it also contrasts well with the red GTI accents on the car 🙂.

At the end of the day it’s your choice and only your choice. Try and get to see a GTI ‘in the metal’ in each of the two colours you’re considering and in different lighting conditions to help you make your choice. If that’s not possible then do an internet search for images, and check out websites such as Auto Trader and the used car section of VW’s own website. Also check out YouTube videos as there are likely to be review videos of GTI’s in both Kings Red and Reef Blue.

Good luck!
Sherlock
New
Drives: GTI 2023

Post by Sherlock »

I have the reef blue and I don't regret it one bit!
Fernando99
New
Drives: Polo GTI AE

Post by Fernando99 »

Of these two colours, I would definitely say kings red. My car is in this colour and I believe it complements the red accents all over the car a lot better than the blue.

However, I would highly recommend considering what SRGTD has mentioned, since the colour does show swirl marks (mine is 7 months old with 20,000km and already has a fair bit just from hand car wash cafes + being parked outside, despite a ceramic coating). They are not visible day to day (only when the sun shines on the paint at a certain angle), however, if you really care about your car you might notice and it might bother you.
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by PoloGTInoob »

I think GTIs look best in black, partly because it allows the red GTI signature livery to stand out and contrast with the bodywork color. I have the panoramic roof but dont use it a lot, once you get above 40MPH ish its a bit noisy. Rear camera is a must for me.
soulman56
New
Drives: Golf

Post by soulman56 »

I really appreciate all the help and advice which everyone has kindly shared with me. It has really helped my decision on my choice.
Im going to order the 25th edition polo gti in king's red tomorrow. So thanks again to everyone. :D