Creaking suspension

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Creaking suspension

Post by PoloGTInoob »

Hey guys, another question about my Polo GTI.

When i go over speed bumps, the rear suspension makes a creaking sound. I feel like this should not be happening on this reasonably new, low mileage [and expensive] 2020 VW...but i also wonder if its just a characteristic of this model - with its lowered body, sportier suspension and large alloys etc.

Any thoughts on whether or not this is normal? I might be imagining it but i feel like it happens more at the start of a journey....
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Creaking suspension

Post by SRGTD »

Not normal, but creaking suspension (usually the front) seems to be a fairly common issue on VW’s - in many cases on cars that are much newer and more expensive than your GTI.

There’s been quite a few posts on Golf forums where owners have had the front suspension bushes greased or the suspension strut top mounts replaced under warranty on Golf GTI’s and R’s that are only a few months old. Greasing the front suspension bushes seems to only be a temporary solution as invariably the noise returns after a while.

I owned a mk6 Golf GTD from new from 2011-2016 and the front suspension bushes on that car creaked when going over speed bumps. It didn’t do it in wet weather - presumably when the bushes got wet from the surface water on the road, they were sufficiently (temporarily) ‘lubricated’ to stop the creaking noise. It came back again as soon as the bushes dried out though.
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Re: Creaking suspension

Post by Dazeredo »

The quality of VW is really falling. Mine only got 31.000km and started to make noise in the steering and the wv shop in Portugal only says that is not a dangerous problem and didn't give me a quote for the repair (the diagnostic was made just for driving the car in the shop, they didn't put in the lift). Hope you get better luck.