2010 1.4 engine noisy after cam belt change

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Gunnytron
New
Drives: 2010 1.4

2010 1.4 engine noisy after cam belt change

Post by Gunnytron »

Hi all.

My car had a worn timing belt tensioner so I replaced all the tensioner, belts and the water pump. However, thr car just doesn't sound right. It subtle but there is a rattle and more of a growl under load around 2000 rpm.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe I got the belt wrong by a tooth. OBD reader doesn't show any faults.

When its cold I can actually feel a knocking through the pedals when they are flat to the floor. That may well be an engine mount or something else unrelated.

One thing to note is that my timing kit came with a tension error wheel.that is attached to an arm. This wasn't present on my car so I didn't fit it as it appeared to be o ly used on older models. Can anyone confirm?
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Re: 2010 1.4 engine noisy after cam belt change

Post by ciclo »

Hi, what is the engine code? do you have any part/reference number (or link) for the timing kit you purchased/installed?
Gunnytron
New

Post by Gunnytron »

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

TBH I am. Not sure of the engine code, but its the 85bhp engine. The kit I got was this one (didnt buy from them):
https://m.autodoc.co.uk/dayco/222846
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Most likely the engine code is CGGB.🤷‍♂️

Although the timming kit is not indicated in the autodoc for 6R with a 'CGGB' engine, it is indicated for the SEAT Ibiza 1.4 85PS.🤷‍♂️

Part number of timing belt for CGGB (6R): 036109119AG
All possibilities :arrow: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/spares-search ... 36109119AG

Maybe the tension of the timing belts is not right, here is the repair manual with the correct sequence to check it or do it again (or any other check):
:arrow: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oV1RNR ... sp=sharing
Gunnytron
New

Post by Gunnytron »

That's super helpful, thank you. I will check it (once the snow has melted).
Gunnytron
New

Post by Gunnytron »

So, I got this sorted today.

Firstly, you were correct on the engine code, so as you say, that extra tensioner wasn't required.

I checked the tensioners were setup correctly and the lower one was good. The upper one was off slightly. probably 5-7 degrees past the mark. Not sure why it changed as I did turn the engine and rechecked when fitting. Anyway, I removed the timing belt and refitted it in the correct order. This may be where I went wrong last time. When putting the belt on you sort of have a 50/50 chance of getting it on the correct tooth. I think last time it may have been off by a tooth.

I took it for a drive and sounded loads better.

In conclusion, it was either the belt off by 1 tooth, or the cam tensioner had slipped.

Thanks again for you help.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Well done!! Thanks to you for the report.
It's difficult to determine the exact cause of the noise when redoing the job, but you made a wise decision.👍

Please keep us informed if any news arises.
Gunnytron
New

Post by Gunnytron »

The car pretty much went back to making the same noise so due to my paranoia I took the belt off again. I triple checked everything and retightened the tensioners. The cam one had slipped very slightly again, so I tightened it up a little tighter this time as the torque spec was right at the minimum level my torque wrench could handle and I didn't really trust it.

When I started the car up it sound terrible for less than a second so I assumed that was until the oil got going again, which led me to another train of thought.

After a long (4 hour) journey a few months back I got a low oil warning, which was unusual. I topped it up and the level has been OK since, but I did notice that the back of the engine was a bit oily. Upon some googling I think I may have a leaky oil separator.

I think the remaining rattling is the tappets/lifters.

Are there links anywhere to workshop manuals? I want to see what is involved in replacing the lifters.
JiSingh1
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 1.0TSI 110BHP

Post by JiSingh1 »

Gunnytron wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:50 pm Are there links anywhere to workshop manuals? I want to see what is involved in replacing the lifters.
My go to source is: http://superetka.com/elsa/
Gunnytron
New

Post by Gunnytron »

Thanks, but that link requires a login.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Round about this production period, there were reported issues with the oil separator O-ring, I never did find out which one, I bought new ones, but never got round to replacing them on my older daughter’s Nov 2009 Ibiza 1.4 16V 85PS.
JiSingh1
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 1.0TSI 110BHP

Post by JiSingh1 »

Gunnytron wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:38 am Thanks, but that link requires a login.
Yes, it's free, just register. I always forget my details as I use a temp email and then keep making new accounts.
Gunnytron
New

Post by Gunnytron »

Cool, ta.
Gunnytron
New

Post by Gunnytron »

update..drive the car toady and it is quieter now, however, I do appear to have kind of a barking noise when I initially pull away in 1st. Not sure what that is about.