*Two* GTIs coming with the 9N2?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
dxg

*Two* GTIs coming with the 9N2?

Post by dxg »

This is odd. Sounds like VW will be following the Ibiza Cupra route, if this turns out to be true. Don't believe it myself, but here you go:
Revised Polo to be unveiled at Geneva show; expect a Golf R32-alike grille and new headlights, plus two GTis - 140bhp TDI PD diesel and 2.0 FSI 150bhp petrol.
Source: http://www.channel4.com/4car/future-mod ... 005-2.html

Deek.
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Interesting, so when is the Geneva Motorshow? :oops:
dxg

Post by dxg »

Interesting, so when is the Geneva Motorshow?
It was at the beginning of March this year, so presumably will be around the sametime last year. The timing would be right for announcing the new models for the mainland market.

Deek.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

I think it'd make sense to offer both a petrol and a diesel flavour GTi tbh. Some people are looking towards diesel power for their next performance car, others like the petrol alternative. Plus the next-gen GTi will appeal to a wider market.

Plus its often the case that developments seen at SEAT and Skoda are then put into practice for VW and Audi, for example the Fabia getting the Polo 9n chassis before the 9n was released...

Don't know about other GTi owners but I'd be interested in the new model - just wondering if the petrol 150bhp will be naturally aspirated :) or turbo :D
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

could this be the final stage of the Polo taking over the Golf's position in the market - with the Fox coming in to replace the Polo?

They've been making loads of engine choices for the other GTi's, why not the Polo?

If it does happen the FSI will more than likely be the 2.0l turbo from the Golf GTi - which makes the prospect even more unlikely as the engine mounts are different. Plus I'm sure it was wispered somewhere the the Polo would come with a 1.6T engine. Wouldn't suprise me if the go for a 130PD TDi & 130BHP pertorl turbo.
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

Why go for 130PD when it's already available in a "lesser" model the GT?
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

SiDaBa wrote:Why go for 130PD when it's already available in a "lesser" model the GT?
Maybe the GT's spec will change in the new model line up? Or, more likely, the GTi model will have more toys and/or further tuning to the 130 lump to improve performance over the GT?