Ebay -Shill bidding (warning Tahrey type post)

Non-VW related chat - Moderated

Was I?

Quite right taking the action I did
75%
A tad harsh
5%
Seems OK
5%
Slightly unfair
10%
Very unfair - innocent mistake
5%

Total votes: 20

bstardchild

Ebay -Shill bidding (warning Tahrey type post)

Post by bstardchild »

*clicky*

I found a 1.4 Polo ECU - yippee on ebay - 99p start so cos I've got too much in my watched section I stuck a bid in of 99p see how it go closer to the time.......

Bugger me I get an outbid notice same day

I think can't be too many people after one of them...... I think I'll check it out - it all looks fine on first glance then I start digging and my suspicions are aroused

seller ID alkail stuff seems to attract a lot of bids from bobby2911 so I ask the seller a question

"Sorry fellow ebayer but I think there is something very strange going on with your ebay auctions - I don't like it at all. Someone bought 5 items for a Nissan and left positive feedback for you (5 times)- but you didn't return it - not even once - thats very odd I thought so he has a Nissan and he's chuffed with his purchases and yet now he's bidding against me for a Polo 1.4 ECU - perhaps he has one of them too..... Then I see he is bidding against someone else in another of your auctions for an item of computer equipment.... perhaps he's interested in computers too See that's the trouble with ebay - it can be very transparent when you dig around peoples feedback, sales and purchases I think I'll leave this auction alone - I might want a replacement ECU but I don't like feeling I'm being taken for a ride...... I won't retract my bid cos that looks bad on me but as I'm no longer winning it doesn't matter maybe an email to ebay might clarify things"

I get quite a prompt reply "whatever"

I sent a prompt reply back two words - wrong answer!

I mail all the other bidders curently bidding on items for sale by him

I contacted ebay to report a case of shill bidding

and then I start looking through his previous auctions and mailing previous winners who have paid over the odds for items as a result of bids by bobby2911

I start getting replies quite quickly and a couple of bidders join in mailing alkail and reporting the matter to ebay too

next email I get is from ebay saying a bid has been retracted - bobby2911 no longer wants the ECU - strange that - in fact bobby2911 has suddenly got money problems and is retracting all his bids :lol:

shortly after I get another email from alkail

"I am new to ebay and since receiving your email have looked into the rules on this , i have spent years in the motor trade where there is no problem with bidding on your own item and wrongly asumed this would be the case here. i have removed all the bids concerned and will not hold you to it if you are to win. I can only apologise for this and thank you for bringing this to my attention"

My reply

" Way Way too late - your reply whatever was unsatisfactory and indicated to me you didn't feel bound by the rules of ebay - so far since you last email I have.....

- contacted ebay and reported you for shill bidding

- contacted all other bidders bidding on your items where bobby2911 has effectively increased the price they are paying

- contacted all previous winners of auctions held by you where bobby2911 has bid and effectively raised the price of the item

s**t storm approaching - it'd be a good idea to duck!!!!!"

Well it brightened my day :roll:
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

yeah thats quite fair what you did, there are so many ways of cheating on ebay though, like people ending auctions early because someones wants to pay over the odds for it. its fine if they have a disclaimer but it annoys me when they dont.

its like the guy who was selling mk1 polo parts on ebay, only one person was bidding and the auctions kept on ending early and being relisted.

Also that guy was increasing the bids to increase the price. I wonder if you didnt twig on and complain you'd have been offered it as a "secind chance" auction at you're highest bid price.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Nice one mate. I had some cnut do that to me over a polo GT a few years ago. It was blatantly obvious to me that shrill bidding was going on but when it happened to me the seller was a little more careful i e he only used the new account for one or two auctions - but all at the same time. So he bid on this polo - which I eventually let him win and some astra that the same guy was also selling. But the very next week the polo was re-auctioned despite them leaving good feedback for each other.

Jokers. :roll:
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Well done Sherlock. Shilling is bad, sniping is good!

Good luck with the ECU.
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

Speedlaw wrote:Well done Sherlock. Shilling is bad, sniping is good!

Good luck with the ECU.
Thanks Alex - love the sherlock bit quite apt (in a funny sort of way)

- shilling is just plain wrong and there is a lot of it about on ebay but if you look hard it's possible to spot it :lol:

- I normally snipe but I had too much in my watched section so needed to get some out - putting in a base level bid allows you to have a huge watch list :lol:

- somehow I don't think he will be selling it too me - even if ebay allow him a second chance!!!! The only reason I am still the highest bidder is I haven't retracted the bid cos that looks bad on me.....
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

y do u want a ECU anyway...as in spare?
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

carmadaaron wrote:y do u want a ECU anyway...as in spare?
thought I done that post before :shock: ...... I have a lot of ECU interogation software and a fair bit of experience in extracting all the maps from ecu's - once extracted you can see where the emission/noise regs holes are engineered and smooth/fill them out plus a bit of work on the ign maps and fueling maps provided you are prepared to run good quality fuel normally yields 10-15% more bhp and torque.

I also can rework the checksum so any changes don't bring the engine management light on if the totals are in balanced.....

No one does a chip for the 1.4 8V so I guess I'd better do one myself

The Senny 24V I have runs 204 at the crank std and with just the ECU work I got it up to 225 - add de-cat, K&N panel filter and a free flow exhaust and it rose to 250 at the crank (on an engine that was the wrong side of 150,000 miles

On the plus side - more BHP means the engine doesn't have to work so hard so normally results in an improvement in mpg

So to answer your qestion I need an ecu that I can plug and play v the std one so that changes can be evaluated :wink:
metz

Post by metz »

*cough 1ltr chip cough mk3 cough*
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

metz wrote:*cough 1ltr chip cough mk3 cough*
PMSL - I thought someone already did em for MK3's
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

yeah - McCain

rofl!
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

:lol: @ KarlM

RAOTFLMFHO

I think Metz has found a supplier for those chips already :lol: :lol:
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

cuh, that was barely a 1024x768 screen :D

good work though!

EDIT: mebbe one of us like could snipe that one for you then pass it along... ;)

hmm, dodgy laaaaik, his first 5 or 6 feedbacks are all the same, from the same guy - just to get up over most folk's "minimum 5 positive feedback" radar?
metz

Post by metz »

bstardchild wrote::lol: @ KarlM

RAOTFLMFHO

I think Metz has found a supplier for those chips already :lol: :lol:
You trying to say i'm fat Mr Bstard?
Its relaxed muscle i'll have you know!
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

Tahrey1043 wrote:cuh, that was barely a 1024x768 screen :D
Hmm - well OK it wasn't quite up to your stds but the comment was TIC
Tahrey1043 wrote:good work though!
Ta :oops:
Tahrey1043 wrote:EDIT: mebbe one of us like could snipe that one for you then pass it along... ;)
Mmmmm now that would go down well - I've been outbid now anyway so someone else maybe wants one? It's a nice idea tho about someone else buying it last min bid £10 max?
Tahrey1043 wrote:hmm, dodgy laaaaik, his first 5 or 6 feedbacks are all the same, from the same guy - just to get up over most folk's "minimum 5 positive feedback" radar?
Yeah but the buyer who left the positive feedback is none other than bobby2911 his alter ego

As a small aside - if you have zero feedback and sell 100 items in seperate auctions to the same person your feedback score rises to 1.......

As a second aside ebay have got back to me - not enough evidence to take any action :roll:
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

metz wrote:You trying to say i'm fat Mr Bstard?
Its relaxed muscle i'll have you know!
I wouldn't dream of it and I'm sure it is :shock: