suspension woes...

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
pete69zx
Silver Member

suspension woes...

Post by pete69zx »

Ok, as some of may know... I have changed almost the entirity of the front suspension on my CL, in the hope to cure its p*** poor handling :shock:

Well, i have replaced the following items allready...

Control arms / ball joints / control arm bushes (Powerflex) / ARB bushes (Powerflex) / Ventura springs / G-Max shox inserts / track rod ends / G 40 spec brakes / top mounts (bearings) / possibly more, but diludes me right now as i just woke up :!:

PLEASE HELP, the car still has movement appearing to come from the passenger side front wheel (when jacked up & 'jiggled'), also the drivers side (but nowhere as bad as the passenger side movement). The car still seems to have a 'clunk' comming from the steering colum / drivers side top mount (bearing) area.

I really am at a loss with this now & its starting to feel quite dangerous :!:

Admittedly... the car has improved since i got the Powerflex bushes / conmtrol arms changed & also the struts taken apart & stripped (so i was told) & put back together again.

HELP!!! :evil: :oops:

Cheers.
Pete :idea:
ste mk1lx
Silver Member

Post by ste mk1lx »

hi pete sounds like the wheel bearings have gone and after all it's probably the only part you have not changed!there about £15 a side then the cost of fitting :roll:
pete69zx
Silver Member

CV joints maybee...?

Post by pete69zx »

ste mk1lx wrote:hi pete sounds like the wheel bearings have gone and after all it's probably the only part you have not changed!there about £15 a side then the cost of fitting :roll:
Cheers Ste :wink:

Is there any remote chance it could be related to the CV joints being worn possibly? (can Polo CV joints be re-newed without the need to replace the full driveshaft (same as Corrado & probably Golf mk2-3)

Cheers.
ste mk1lx
Silver Member

Post by ste mk1lx »

if it's the cv joints it it'll knock like hell on full lock,goodnews is joints just knock off the the end of the driveshafts :P
pete69zx
Silver Member

hmm...

Post by pete69zx »

ste mk1lx wrote:if it's the cv joints it it'll knock like hell on full lock,goodnews is joints just knock off the the end of the driveshafts :P
Not quite that bad, but... its starting to get that way :cry:

Maybee its time for both new wheel bearings for the front & also the CV jointsa to be both replaced aswell, here we go again :oops:

Cheers.
hayesey
Silver Member

Post by hayesey »

sounds like a very knackered wheel bearing if there is play in the wheel. although they usually whine for ages before getting to the point where it might clunk. they aren't easy to replace yourself either, I have done it but for the effort it takes you might be best going to a garage with the strut removed from the car & the new bearing & asking them to fit it in
peteg40
New

Post by peteg40 »

my front wheel bearings never whined they did click tho over bumps...

easy to replace if you have a vw bearing tool like i bought!
pete69zx
Silver Member

£££ again :-(...

Post by pete69zx »

[quote="peteg40"]my front wheel bearings never whined they did click tho over bumps...quote]

Sounds similar to what im experiencing (possibly), allthough... im not entirely convinced... i think i will change them anyways.

Cheers.

(@ this rate... im gonna have a predominantly new part car! YAY, erm...)