Did you know!!????

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
tdisport
Getting There!

Did you know!!????

Post by tdisport »

Just wondered if any of you guys with new polo's realised about the different settings you can have 4 steering. The dealer didn't tell me - i had to drag it out of them.

When 1st drove it, it was extremely light and complained. They then found out that it can be changed to 5 different setting.

1 = disability setting for old people (extremely light)
3 = normal
5 = gti setting - i have this!!! :-D

Also, they have to program windows to go up and down automatically (didn't tell me that either) and set the rear window wiper to come and when you seletd reverse. If i didn't make a fuss i would have been driving around without these.

Just though I'd pass little but of info you may or may not already know.

tdisport.
dxg

Post by dxg »

OK, so here's were I expose my complete lack of technical knowlegde...

I would have though "light" steering would have been more suited to a GTI-type car (i.e. quicker to force the car into a turn), or do the "heavier" modes provide more feedback?

It's funny you should mention this, I had thought my steering had was lighter on the old ECU, personally I preferred that - I must be an old granny at heart!

I will be asking my dealer about this - thanks for the tip.

I don't understand what you mean by the window option, though - could you expand a little. If it's the "watchdog" problem, then I best to keep it off the board, though...

Also, having looked at your pictures on the other thread - I can't believe that silver car would have passed its PDI - you did the right thing. What is the colour of the car you currently have? - it's the only polo I've seen in it - is it same as the R32 press cars??

That colour completely suits the polo shape - looks the business. (Although these sports alloys are getting a bit too commonplace for my liking - I sense my first "mod" in a few months, after my wallet's recovered from crimbo!).
tdisport
Getting There!

Steering and Windows

Post by tdisport »

Hi,

Dont know anything about watchdog. Everyone in work tells me all VWs have some problem with locks but spoke to service mgr in local dealer (the nice dealer, not where got car from!) and he said it was just golfs. This was also backed up by something I read on the internet. All early model golf have weak locks or something and on later ones W-reg + have stronger locks.

I meant that window has 2 be programmed 2 go up and down automatically if you press switch once.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

I think the term is "one touch"

Nice to know VW tell you about these options isn't it. :?

I can get my doors to automatically lock when the car reaches 10mph, and I can get the alarm to beep when armed. Something I was never told. I will be asking the dealer to sort these out for me before I pick the car back up... See what they say!

I don't know if it is standard on New Polo's with Air-Con, but I read somewhere that when you engage reverse gear, the Air-Con switches to Recirculate so that it doesn't draw in exhaust gasses!

I bet there are loads of things they can do... The steering weight is a prime example!
tdisport
Getting There!

Forgot to say about steering

Post by tdisport »

The steering can be weighted as its elecro-hydraulic speed sensitive. With the easy setting its constantly light and hence on corners and high speed it over-assisted and theres no feeling.

On Gti setting the steering gets harder at speed and gives more feeling. In other words its the opposite of non-PAS. Easy to park and weights up nicely at speed.

Just read the post above about auto door locks above 10mph and wondered if the new polo can do that? Anybody know??

And to answer quesiton - the a/c does go to recirulate to stop fumes or something and also if front wipers on and i put it in reverse the back comes on as well.

Also, somebody asked about the colour of my new car:

its indigo blue (pearlescent paint - light blue in light, and dark blue most of time).

here are some better pics:

Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

dxg wrote: What is the colour of the car you currently have? - it's the only polo I've seen in it - is it same as the R32 press cars??
It can't be, unless he's had a respray. The R32 colour is limited to that exact model, and not available on any other car.

des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

TDISPORT, you should have gone for the blue seats that I have in my indigo blue Polo. They look the business and sort of match the paintwork.

Just wish I'd gone for the five door though :cry:
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Hmm, nice to know we were all told about those settings then!

My windows are one touch already.
Quite fancy the gti setting steering tho - think its a bit light as it is now.
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

yeah tis lovely what they tell us (jus` dont get me started on that one :twisted: :evil: )
but if you want the auto lock then look into some alarms mine drops the locks after 30 seconds of the ing being on as long as all doors were closed when ing was switched on

wow i nearly under stood that :P
IF doors are closed AND ignition is turned on THEN WAIT 30 sec and lock doors
is prolly what the alarm thinks
vwpower
Bronze Member

Post by vwpower »

My polo has all those things.
The auto lock
the rear wiper when back off etc etc

The only thing i`m not sure is the steetring setting

How do I know on what setting is mine.?

I think is kind of light.

TALKING ABOUT R32 BLUE COLOR
Here In guatemala they sold the standar new polo on that blue tone. So the teory of "Blue color onlyR32" is no validated. :wink:

Re: Did you know!!????

Post by Guest »

tdisport wrote:Just wondered if any of you guys with new polo's realised about the different settings you can have 4 steering. The dealer didn't tell me - i had to drag it out of them.

When 1st drove it, it was extremely light and complained. They then found out that it can be changed to 5 different setting.

1 = disability setting for old people (extremely light)
3 = normal
5 = gti setting - i have this!!! :-D
Hmm,

Went to the dealers today to pick up my car, armed with a copy of this topic. He had a tinker and found there were only 4 settings for the steering, and it was set to number 2. I asked him to set it to the GTI setting which he did. Seems strange that it wasn't already set that way.

Oh, he also looked into the Rear wiper coming on when reversing. It was already enabled.

Didn't get the car though. Have anouther week to wait. Paperwork. :evil:
vwpower
Bronze Member

Post by vwpower »

How did he notice what setting of the steering is on the car?

How did he change it to GTI?

I whent ridding yestarday And drove it kind of fast... and on the corners it went kind of hardder to change direction, with more filling at the wheel

Post by Guest »

vwpower wrote:How did he notice what setting of the steering is on the car?

How did he change it to GTI?
Read the first post. Explains it all really :wink:
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Went to my dealers this afternoon and they plugged the car into the diagnostic machine for me. But they couldn't find the option to change it. Assuming that this option is only availiable for cars with Sports suspension :cry:

Post by Guest »

Nelson: They all have power steering, so they should all have this option in the ECU.

Just cause the dealer can't find it don't mean it aint there :wink: