Fuel tank leak

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
TheWhiteBeast
New

Fuel tank leak

Post by TheWhiteBeast »

I have got a bad fuel leak from the bottem of my tank where the filler pipe joins the bottom of the tank. It looks like the weld has gone :cry: Do you think that some plumbers sealant will stop it while i try and get a new tank? Is it a easy job to change the tank? or has any one got one for sale :)

Danny
mk2matt
Silver Member

Post by mk2matt »

plumber seal may not hold it bud as it has to be petrol resistant.
your best bet is to get a new 1 and get it fitted.
i have done a few polo petrol tanks mainly on mk2's.
if you get 1 from GSF make sure you get the right 1 and you will have to bend it abit anyway.
pete69zx
Silver Member

my opinion...

Post by pete69zx »

In my experience of leaking fuel tanks...

I got mine replaced not so long ago (replaced with a reconditioned unit for £65 all in fitted, bargain me thinks, but...) ... it actually turned out to be s**t!!!

Not much point in going back to the place i got it fitted at either... coz i wrote Don Polio off on Saturday night trying to be McRae! HAHA.

Anyways, i digress...

HTH

I believe a new tank from the $tealers should set you back damn close to £130, but i could be talking outta my arse with this figure :lol:

Cheers.
Pete :idea:
tainmrk3polo
Bronze Member

Post by tainmrk3polo »

mine was replaced earlier this year by the previous owner and the invoice is for new front brake pads supplied and fitted, and a new tank supplied and fitted and the total inc vat is £227.71. the tank was £110 + VAT from what i can work out, and labour, well according to this invoice only took 1hour ten minutes to fit the pads and tank and came to £41.........
pete69zx
Silver Member

to VAT or not to VAT, that is the question...

Post by pete69zx »

tainmrk3polo wrote: the tank was £110 + VAT from what i can work out
I was pretty close then 8)

Cheers.
Pete :idea:
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

Is this any good

"THIS IS A BRAND NEW GENUINE VW POLO FUEL TANK 1975-84. THE PART NUMBER ON THE TANK IS 867 201 075B THIS RETAILS AT A DEALER FOR MORE THAN £180 PLUS VAT."

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 86675&rd=1

I'd have posted it up on today on ebay but for a change here seemed more relevant

£35 start no bids so far 3 days to go and in Leighton Buzzard - Seller says he will post world wide
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

i believe the mk2 fuel tank won't fit the mk3!

classic place for them to at the fuel filler meets the tank. we did mine a few months ago. was a pain in the backside, but we got it done, a bit of bending was needed to get it to fit properly!

my adivse would be, a genuine vag one would be a much better fit, however, a GSF one is alot cheaper! (and turned up the next day!)

not great advice, but hey, ur decision!
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Not only will the mk2 tank not fit the mk3, but that's a mk1 tank ;)
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

when i got mine done i just signed it off to a local trustworthy garage to sort out and i think it didnt come to much over a hundred quid all in - maybe 150 if that was the time i got screwed....

if i remember the packaging rightly it said it was a 42 litre.... mk2.... 1600cc polo tank. yes. thats what it said. bonkers. still fit alright though!

til you get it done, just fill up the most you can without it obviously dripping (maybe only a couple gallons at a time) and go lightly on the throttle so you can top it up the minimum couple litres every 20 miles or so. And carry a filled up 5 litre jerry can, too (standard equipment)!

the filler neck joint isnt quite at the bottom of the tank, there's probably an inch depth or so between that and where the feed pipe sucks it out, so you can have some in there without it leaking and dont need to faff about trying to seal it. Aftermarket sealant jobs are pretty useless (e.g. Holts' Gun Gum -- bloody rubbish that, even after i got proficient applying my third patch-up of it to a knackered exhaust.) --- unless you have an absolutely perfect surface for applying the stuff to, chances are it either wont stick, or will give way at exactly the wrong time, eg after you've just put thirty quids worth of unleaded in.

until you get down to that magic level by the way, if you want to protect whatever surface the car's standing on, whack a jam jar (a large one, like a washed out 500g hellmans mayo jar) under the leak. make it hidden from local scallies if needs be. that'll both stop the petrol damaging the surface, show you just how much is coming out (very little, to lots - i filled three jars!) and give you the opportunity to "recycle" it back into the tank, after a basic filtering to get rid of the water (cap jar, turn upside down, allow contents to slowly leak out until water layer has disappeared and petrol starts coming out)

er. yes.