6N2 - Retro-fitting OEM fogs

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

6N2 - Retro-fitting OEM fogs

Post by polo2k »

firstly you will need some parts which i got from martyn at vag parts
-new light switch with front for position
-2x foglights
-6x screws
-6x washers
-6x little square plastic clip kinda jobbers
-2x grills ( i suggest getting the gti centre grill too)
TOOLS NEEDED
phillips screwdriver
smallish flat screwdriver
torx25 (long and thin)
torx 20 (optional)
ok im sat here with a load of boxes now what???
firstly you need to swap the 2 light switch which is as simple as removing the original switch and unplugging it then plugging in the new switch and refitting
a full explanation of the removal can be found here http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... .php?t=341 (cheers mole)
now to the outside
well its logical to get some power to the fogs before you fit them but THIS IS NOT NEEDED all the wireing is already there ( as i found after spending 20 min making a loom :evil: )
all you need to know is where to look so firstly you need to remove the existing side grills by finding the hiddedn screw (phillips)
in this photo ive already fitted the fogs but the screw is in the same place
then pull on it both forewards and to the side and the grill will come out

then you are left with this:
to which you have to fit the 6 sqare plastic clips (grey) (ive already fitted them) they go in the holes with the square "border" and just push in. you want 3 per side. this isnt part of the wireing but you might as well do it so you dont loose the clips :)
now to find the wire.
have a good look inside the hole and look for a cable (with a black sheilding) that is plugged in. here are some pics to help you find it
this is one of the clips that holds the blank that the wire should be plugged into and the large sliber part with the treaded piece 'hanging' down is the chassis leg
now you need to give it a good yank as you dont need the blank and its not easy to unplug it
here you can see the blank that mine were plugged into. next you have to unplug the cable from the blank and plug it into the fog light
now we get to fit the lights them selfs, after checking that theres a bulb. they simply attach with the screws supplied but dont forget the washer.
the screws go into the clips that you fitted into the holes before
then all thats left is to check that you have the conenction properly attached and the screws good and firm so that the light unit doesnt move. then fit the grill as you removed it and your ment to reuse the same screw however i didnt use the phillips screws :o i used some of the screws that are used in the dash that are torx 20 and have a larger head so that they dont fall out and get lost as they are the same size as the gap in the grill that the head fits through (its a tight fit thou so it will scuff the plastic a little). Also with them being torx it makes it harder if some toe rag wants to steal your lights.
now repeat for the other side and do a quick test so you can admire your handy work :D
you may have to adjust them so that you dont blind oncoming traffic. this is accomplished by using a long torx 25 and threading it through the little hole below the lens as so:
now your ready for a little trip out so you can show off ;)
here you can see the difference that they have made to my car as the before photos are with no grills and some el cheapo fogs
ahh steelies :D
now for the after shots
if you have any questions then please feel free to ask as if all your wireing is not there then i will explain how to make a loow (on my car everything was there including the relays etc)
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

and here are a couple of night shots
this is just to show that in stock configuration the side lights HAVE to be on
and here you can see that the beam pattern is very strong and clear and the bulbs that martyn supplied are ver white and strong (thank you martyn) and yes i know that one is slightly higher than the other :P
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Bit easier than the 9N then :roll:
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

easier it is and quick too. i had the whole lot in in less than an hour and i had to reposition an ac pipe that i had moved
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Do the telltale lights in the instrument panel light up?

From somewhere in the internet.

I recall reading that when you install aftermarket - or original but not factory-fitted - fog lights the green one (see above) doesn't come on.

Even though I believe it is there anyway, because my car doesn't have ABS but under strong light one can just make out the 'ABS' icon on the panel.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

i was going to ask in the mk5 forum if theres a binacle light but the icon on the switch changes color so i think thats all thet changes

and btw that cluster isnt a mk5 cluster
also theese are the fogs that vw fit at the factory hence all the wireing being in place the ones i had before were after market as i couldnt afford oem but martyn sorted that and if needs be and there is an icon in the dash then i cant see it being impossible to light the oem light its just a case of finding the right wire to add a switched voltage to
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Mate, that looks SO much better!

I'm well impressed! :D
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Quite right!

The page I saw was mole's, and he had fitted the fogs to his 9N not 6N.

The above photo does show a 9N instrument panel, I was thinking about that model.

Anyways yours was a very nice mod and tidier than most too!
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

thank you josh and Babe R.
i was chatting to tigor last night and he pointed out that she looks "less modified" so im debating what to do next as i had seen a nice pair of bumpers from Fun tech but theyl be £300 easily so i might go custom on the stocies
i cant decide grr
and could some one with the foghs as standard please enlighten (pun intended) me on the front fog warning as if there is one in the binicle too then ill hook that up and add it to the how to
Martyn@VAGparts

Post by Martyn@VAGparts »

Way to go Ash...!!!

I bet you was kicking yourself when you saw the looms were there AFTER you made a loom!!! I hate it when that happens!!

Top install, and slightly easier than Rich's install.. only slightly!!!! ;-) good pictures, are those photo's in Leeds? ;-)

Martyn
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Smooth the rubbing strips off your original bumpers!!!

That's the way to go.

She's looking good mate.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

oh big things are gunna happen :wink:
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

you say all the wiring is there on all models? might have to check that.

we went to our local, helpful veedub garage and they said that it were cost near the £400 mark to supply and fit, so we stayed clear of that! lol

is it me or do veedub garages want loads to fit modded stuff! or anything that makes the car look better. e.g. the fogs and the VAG spoiler!

if the wiring is there i will hit myself cause there was a set for sale on ebay the other week! doh, do u have to get a light switch as well then?

thanx for any help
Last edited by SpikeyG40 on Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

parts needed :
2 fogs
2 grills
1 switch
6 screws
6 plastic clip things

all the wireing should be there so its plug and play and can be done in about 1/2 hr
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

cool, cheers mate, wish i had bidded on thos fogs and grills on ebay! :roll:

wierd about the garage! they said that they would have to get, or make, or something, the wiring loom! still thanx for the info, i'll have to investigate!
Last edited by SpikeyG40 on Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.