Horn not working....

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
ICEYPOLO
Silver Member

Horn not working....

Post by ICEYPOLO »

I've not had a horn for a while now and as its come round to the MOT i thought i'd best do something about it!

i checked the fuse and thats fine and the connections and horns itself look kool...

BUT

when i press the horn i can hear a clicking from behind the dials like its the relay not working - but i'm not too techy so could be wrong!

thinking its gonna be a trip to the stealers right??

Cheers

Scott
jon_poloV
Sponsor

fuse

Post by jon_poloV »

try checking the fuse in the fuse box, right hand side of steering wheel column
jon
morrismen
Silver Member

If

Post by morrismen »

If fuse and connections are all right, then it's likely to be the horn itself. They're not very resilient, especially if someone puts their fingers or a screw driver in them. First try the electrical test - unconnect the horn and with a multimeter connect + and - and see if there is 12v. If not, you've got a loose connection or dry joint somewhere, or the fuse is duff. I'd source another horn after doing this test if it's ok.
ttaw2
Bronze Member

Post by ttaw2 »

Didn't someone suggest smacking the bugger with a hammer a little while back :?: :?:

At the end of the day, if it's really broken it can't break it any more than it already is...

Oh, and if you can hear the relays clicking, then they aren't broken (IIRC it's when they're quiet that you've got a problem)
waveydavey
Sponsor

Post by waveydavey »

I posted the question regarding where the horns were located......

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... php?t=9414

Didn't have a rubber hammer so gave mine a pop with the side of my hand but still the same....One workin' one not.... It's booked in for the annual service in a couple of weeks so they're gonna have a look then along with a couple of other things.

Cheers

Dave.
ICEYPOLO
Silver Member

Post by ICEYPOLO »

as i say, fuse is fine had two now and no difference....

i saw the previous posts on horns and had the fog light and arch lining out, smacked it and checked the connections but nothing new there!

think i'm gonna need to replace the horn by the sound of it then...

cheers

scott
ttaw2
Bronze Member

Post by ttaw2 »

If you're gonna do that, then you might want to think about going down the scrappy to find one that sounds a bit better..

My bro got one out of a senator if my memory serves me correctly, and it sounded cool as pants (for a horn)
JWC
Gold Member

Post by JWC »

Its only a horn. As a last resort you can always stick your fingers up too.
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

ttaw2 wrote:If you're gonna do that, then you might want to think about going down the scrappy to find one that sounds a bit better..

My bro got one out of a senator if my memory serves me correctly, and it sounded cool as pants (for a horn)
Mmmmm much better sounding horn - I plan to do the exact same thing - having a few Senator horns spare helps :lol: They are twin horns one high and one low frequency so get the right one if you are only fitting one - I'll be fitting both!!!!
JWC
Gold Member

Post by JWC »

Have a look at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/4174543.stm

JamJar have put together a list of the top 25 by paying some scientists?!?!?????!?!???! Apparently some people were a bit miffed when they bought a big ass V8 monster with a horn that squeaks....
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

Are you allowed air horns? and would they work, if you just connected the compressors up to the normal horn wires?
ttaw2
Bronze Member

Post by ttaw2 »

IIRC they're illegal for cars after a certain year... I think you have to have a normal horn, and the air horn on a separate switch..

Might get some funny looks turning up at the MOT centre with a dukes of hazzard comedy number
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

Thats a shame, I'd love a HGV horn. I normally forget to use my horn tho when people do stupid things, im normally concentrating on not crashing into them.
JWC
Gold Member

Post by JWC »

I can never find it when I need it. FUmbling about hitting the steering wheel at strange angles. Its easy, its the big bit in the middle, but I can never find it when someone is driving me mad.
GANA
New

Post by GANA »

My horn went off a month ago. Gti has two horn under the front bumber in front of the front left wheel. Horns cost 37Euro each. But it works great with only one. they said it went off because of the water in the street.