new brakes

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
lord_sharpy
Bronze Member

new brakes

Post by lord_sharpy »

ive got my g40 callipers, and im just in the process of cleaning etc. im gunna put on the brembo discs and pagid tq pads from GSF, what do you guys reckon to this? also what is better for not alot more money like grooved discs etc?
also whats your opinion on braided hoses? worth it or not?
hayesey
Silver Member

Post by hayesey »

braided hoses are definately worth it. grooved &/or drilled discs are just for show more than anything else. All the grooves & holes do is evacuate brake dust & I doubt you'd notice the difference between similar discs - one without grooves or holes & one with grooves & holes.

they're also good for racing cars which use very soft brake pads which produce a lot of dust, but get changed after every race!
lord_sharpy
Bronze Member

hoses

Post by lord_sharpy »

anyone got a set of braided hoses knocking around or just a couple?
Karl_CLCoupe
Platinum Member

Post by Karl_CLCoupe »

Try Awesome-GTi. Quite a reasonable price I reckon.

Karl.
Krupa
Gold Member

Post by Krupa »

Or Pitstop Developments, their braided hose kits are about £40.

Braided hoses are worth it definately, but when I up the size of my discs again I won't be getting grooved discs. I will however be buying Greenstuff pads again, as they produce next to no dust and I'm lazy. :lol:
DelG40
Gold Member

Post by DelG40 »

I'm also under the knowledge that grooved discs help displace heat too, no?
hayesey
Silver Member

Post by hayesey »

no, grooved discs don't do anything to dissipate heat, only brake dust.

vented discs help dissipate heat better but he's already getting those since he's got G40 calipers.
lord_sharpy
Bronze Member

Post by lord_sharpy »

i think il have to order a set of hoses then along with discs and pads at the end of the month.
Krupa
Gold Member

Post by Krupa »

I'm told drilled discs help dissipate heat better, but grooves do nothing for cooling.

Tests by Porsche or something, hence Porsches having drilled not grooved discs.

I might look into Zimmerman drilled discs when I change, but grooves don't seem to do much.
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Yes, the greenstuff pads produce little dust and it's easier to clean your wheels. The down side is they are poor brake pads compared to others. I'm waiting for a set of Raicam pads off pitstop which are supposed to be excellent according to people who have used them.
genesisGT
Bronze Member

Post by genesisGT »

I have Zimmerman cross drilled and vented disks with pagid fast road pads and a standard M/C and rear brakes. I just fitted new rubber pipes when I converted, but now wish a had fitted braided ones!

That set up Brakes very nicely, but push too hard and they just lock up.

The pads produce quite alot of dust (mabe my driving) but it wipes of easily enough!

So a would recommend the above but with the braded hoses and posibly greenstuff pads as a hear thery are very good (and produce less dust). 8)
peteg40
New

Post by peteg40 »

remember to check drilled discs every now and again as sam baldwins has cracks round every hole!
Krupa
Gold Member

Post by Krupa »

I'd be interested to try standard discs and pads first of all when I next upgrade (planning on 256mm at some point) then compare these to performance pads and see what's best.

Can't really complain about the Greenstuff pads personally, they're not bad. Are there any low-dust pads that are better performance wise?
genesisGT
Bronze Member

Post by genesisGT »

remember to check drilled discs every now and again as sam baldwins has cracks round every hole!
Will do! But the polo only has an AAU engine fitted (my garage floor has the GT) just now so a dont think the disks are getting to much stress braking from a max of 90ish. :D
pete69zx
Silver Member

Post by pete69zx »

genesisGT wrote:the polo only has an AAU engine fitted (my garage floor has the GT) just now so a dont think the disks are getting to much stress braking from a max of 90ish. :D
Tell me about it :roll: