G60 Brake Upgrade

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

G60 Brake Upgrade

Post by Redline »

Planning on doing the G60 280mm front disc upgrade in the near future.

Basically interested as to whether anyone has any recommendations on disc and pad combinations, or alternatively whether the OEM parts are good enough.
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

I personally don't think it is neccesary to go with any fancy disks, unless you want the visual impact of seeing something that looks good through your wheels. Just plain vented from any good manufacturer will do.

Pads, i'd go with greenstuff to try and reduce brake dust, unless you really brake hard often, in which case you will want some pads with a more aggresive compound e.g redstuff or pagid fast road (from gsf).
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

I'd definitely look to get some aftermarket brake pads too, IMO the standard brake discs will provide plenty of extra stopping power.

I replaced my OEM brake pads with Black Diamond pads which I bought from John at 2modified.com. Cost ~£90 for front and rear pads, with which I have seen a huge reduction in the amount of dirty black brake dust being kicked out! Either those or some Greenstuff will see you laughing :)
Redline
Sponsor

Post by Redline »

Cheers guys.

I live out in the country, with some amazing driving roads which does include obviously heavy braking. So performance pads are a must I think. Not personally a fan of Greenstuff pads, but Black Diamond Predator were on my list of ones to consider.

In terms of discs, I quite like the cross-drilled look but not too keen on the price of Tarox or Black Diamond ones. However I have come across cross-drilled discs from Zimmerman and FK which are quite affordable.
ICEYPOLO
Silver Member

Post by ICEYPOLO »

my humble opinion mate, ATE power discs are great and i've never had a bad thing said about pagid fast road pads... both available for the G60 so you'd have no probs getting them from euro car parts (discs) and GSF (pads)

at about £70 all in you should be laughing! :wink:

scott
kefirvr6
New

Post by kefirvr6 »

my opimnion is if u have stock motor theres no need for u to change it. stock brakes are good for it. i have vr6 motor in my polo and put g60 brakes all kit 280 mm ddrilled disc. now brakes amazing but i wouldt do it with stock motor. waste of money. invest it in enginel)
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

kefirvr6 wrote:my opimnion is if u have stock motor theres no need for u to change it. stock brakes are good for it. i have vr6 motor in my polo and put g60 brakes all kit 280 mm ddrilled disc. now brakes amazing but i wouldt do it with stock motor. waste of money. invest it in enginel)
The stock brakes can reign in the standard engine, yes. But the G60 280mm upgrade means you can brake later and over shorter distances, thereby making point-to-point driving faster. Plus, a shorter stopping distance is a good thing in emergency situations, no? Oh and they look much better filling up the space behind the rims too, don't they 8)
polo power
Gold Member

Post by polo power »

would this upgrade fit any on the 6n2 range?
Redline
Sponsor

Post by Redline »

Si_GTi wrote: But the G60 280mm upgrade means you can brake later and over shorter distances, thereby making point-to-point driving faster.
Cheers Si, my sentiments exactly :)

I do a lot of "fast road" driving out here in the country, so bigger and better brakes means more time spent on the go pedal.

Plus to be honest I can't really see the point in throwing money at trying to make the GTi quicker in a straight line. I already have a BMC on there, but I can't justify more cash on gaining a few extra horspower. Without turning to forced induction or nitrous it's never going to produce serious power.
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

I for one worry about about this mod. I have never seen it in person. Putting bigger disc's means the brake calipers needs to be re-positioned further out from the center. How close does the brake caliper end up against inside of the standard 15" BBS alloys??? Any pic's welcome.

Thanks.
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

You have to fit some small spacers to the wheel hubs as the calliper fowls the wheel slightly.
Nothing major though, only a few quid and will help pull the wheels out to give a sweeter look.

Just a point though, fitting bigger disc's will not make you stop any quicker.
They will just give more feel and help reduce brake fade.
The only real way to stop quicker is by buying better tyres :D
jezmk4
Silver Member

Post by jezmk4 »

Si_GTi wrote: But the G60 280mm upgrade means you can brake later and over shorter distances,
erm not really,

bigger discs might give you better feel

main reason for bigger discs is greater resistance to fading

get the standard 256s to even remotely start fading driving on the road is a very difficult task

and i wouldnt bother with fancy discs, definate waste of money on a road car if you ask me
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

re the conversion and colour coding the carriers to match the existing caliper, does anyone know if there are any parts of the caliper carrier that should not be sprayed (apart from the obvious bolt holes etc)? as i have a pair prepped and ready for spraying.
psycho sport
Getting There!

Post by psycho sport »

Dont agree with that. I ve had my brakes upgraded to the G60 setup and i can say without a shadow of doubt my car stops alot quicker then it did before!

Anyone with a standard Gti in the guildford area fancy helping me prove the point pm me!
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

To be honest, the ATE pads you can get from ECP are up to the job if you drive hard. And thats what I bought for the Ibiza today, in fact!

I ran my Cordoba track car (which had 280s) on the Brembo ones and they fell to bitsa after one tame track day. The ATEs had the same stopping power and lasted a lot longer, even a Nurburgring onslaught and the chaotic drive home!

Greenstuffs warp discs very easily, I do not recommend them.