Si_GTi's winter progress thread

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

Si_GTi wrote:This also suggests that Chris, your kit from eBay wasn't the 80/80 kit after all :lol:
Well im glad thats cleared up! :lol:
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

My standard suspension would always make a crunching noise when reversing just before setting off. Think it was normal. Coilovers don't seem to do it
Si_GTi wrote:Image
That picture looks excellent
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

A minor update re the coilovers. Had the tracking sorted (£30) and the headlights adjusted at VW (£26). Now that the tracking is back to where it should be I can let the car off the leash and really give it some beans. Feels great to drive I must say :D
Prash
Silver Member

Post by Prash »

Your car's lookin awesome Si, nice work 8)
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Okay folks here is an excellent comparison of how low the Polo is now. I cleaned her this morning and took a couple of photos in the same location as my signature images. Forgive me for not having blacked the tyres :oops: haha. After getting back from this trip, I now have dirt and mud splattered up the sides and rear of the car again from damp roads and other cars. Stupid weather...

Oh and I've just noticed that the "crop image" markings are still on the first image :? :oops: (look at the leading edge of the bonnet just above the grille). D'oh!
polo power
Gold Member

Post by polo power »

lookin good si you can really tel the diff between the pics with the height
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

that looks awesome, what did you lower it to? any prob with speed bumps etc..

are those the standard RX II's with bbs caps?
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

shantybeater wrote:that looks awesome, what did you lower it to? any prob with speed bumps etc..

are those the standard RX II's with bbs caps?
Its roughly -60mm, I think. No worries with speed bumps so long as you take it nice and easy. We have a fair bit of street furniture in this town and none of them have stopped me yet. Only the work one is a touch higher than the other speed bumps so I take it slowly and at an angle and its fine :)

And yes. Those are the standard rims with "carbon-look" BBS centre caps that I bought from VAGParts.
Dee-vub

Post by Dee-vub »

looks awesome si, the stance is perfect. spacers tho
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

I'm going to see how things look with the G60 steels on first before thinking seriously about spacers. The back might need to come up just a little with the steels fitted as they are a lower offset. I'm trying to get a G60 steel sorted out this week from MintySE for a good price then will be off to get quotes on powdercoating. Looking at no more than £140 if I can help it but so far haven't gotten lower than £180, I'll keep looking!

Very tempted by a Raceland stainless manifold at the moment thanks to olop_chris :lol: but these BBS have to go, they're shot to bits IMHO. Then we can think of manifolds :lol:

Cheers
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

OK so I have been sidetracked slightly from getting these steels finished and fitted. This lunchtime I bought... an OMP front upper strut brace! At long last :lol: but its going to take 15-28 days to arrive, bought from Demon Tweeks like olop_chris did and they get them direct from OMP in Italy AFAIK :)

Once its here I'll be fitting the upper and lower braces simultaneously 8) which will sharpen up the handling nicely! Bit worried about the front lower brace though as the car at it's current height doesn't even clear dead pheasants (there is a thump from under the car and a load of feathers from the back bwahahaha) but does clear the vast majority of speed bumps and also drives fine through the local multi-storey car park :D

Still, we'll find out what its like once they're on ;)
vdubit
Gold Member

Post by vdubit »

ooh ooh ooh, full report when fitted please!
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

When you get your braces fitted Si, Ill take a drive across and check it out, and have abit of a catch up...ill be interested to see how low the lower brace will hang! If its not too bad i'll get one also as we're at a similar height! 8)
sally_healey
Bronze Member

Post by sally_healey »

Oooohhhhhh gotta see this, reallt want an upper one, but too scared to fit the lower....... :roll: