GTI Handling

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
afzalmj
New

Post by afzalmj »

Sorry, misread your previous reply. I won't include a thicker ARB for now.

I'm currently looking for a quote for eibach springs + koni adj. shocks. I'll let you know what i find, although initial quotes look a lot more than the koni kit.

Can anyone recommend a good upper front strut brace?

Thanks all!
Tony B
Getting There!

Post by Tony B »

STAY AWAY FROM TOYOS............they're terrible and will make your car feel like a fiesta!

Goodyear F1s all the way......
afzalmj
New

Post by afzalmj »

Ok great!

I've just ordered the Koni SSK144 kit and a Momo strut brace.

I think judging from the replies, Toyos are not the way forward and I'll invest in some Goodyear F1s when ready.

Anyone know anywhere decent i can get the springs+shocks+strut fitted, at a reasonable price? I live in the south east :)
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

afzalmj wrote:Anyone know anywhere decent i can get the springs+shocks+strut fitted, at a reasonable price? I live in the south east :)
Big Boys Toys fitted my suspension. They charge £150 plus VAT including laser alignment. A couple of minutes walk from Lakeside shopping centre, so gives you something to do for the 3 hours it would take.

APS also have an extremely high reputation. They are located in Brackley. I'm not sure how much they charge but know they will also do the alignment on site.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

No problems with my Toyo T1S although I agree that they are not well suited to very wet conditions. They don't feel dangerous or anything like that, they just aren't as good as other brands. I have heard, but cannot confirm from experience, that T1Rs aren't such a good performer but until I try them I can't give my own opinion of them.

As for that strut brace, look for an OMP item. But be aware that the lead time on these is incredible! I ordered and paid for an OMP front upper strut brace on January 3rd with Demon Tweeks and they still haven't had it delivered over two months later. I'm supposedly receiving it in "7-10 days" :?

Cheers
jezmk4
Silver Member

Post by jezmk4 »

mk4 glx 1.6 wrote:
afzalmj wrote: you don't want to lower the car so that the front wishbones are inverted, this creates bump steer, which many people who are 'slammed' mistake for good handling.
Bump Steer has nothing to do with the Angle of the Wishbones,

it all relates to the angle of the steering arms

If you drop the car a LONG way, but then invert the steering arms, the steering geometry remains the exact same as stock (ive not yet tried it)

Making the wishbones inverted, alters the roll centre of the car, which can be corrected, again if lowered a long way, by spacing up the bottom balljoint,

With a little bit of thought, it shouldn't be too hard to lower the polo a good 80mm, but with geometry that is very similar, if not better than standard
afzalmj
New

Post by afzalmj »

I'm eager to know, what will the handling feel like after i get the Koni shocks+springs and strut brace installed?

I've had cars chipped in the past and noticed a considerable difference, but never got round to changing suspension...

How much better will it be as compared to stock?

Drove a Clio 172 today although didn't get a chance to properly push it - was certainly quick though.