Hello-new to the forums

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

do NOT do it on the car. end of story!

you need to remove the bumpers (not too hard) and unclip them from inside.

remember when you spray them that you need to sand all the bumps down and give them a very very thorough clean or you'll be looking at peeled paint in no time. Preparation is the key!
Teo10
New

Post by Teo10 »

david burton wrote:do NOT do it on the car. end of story!

you need to remove the bumpers (not too hard) and unclip them from inside.

remember when you spray them that you need to sand all the bumps down and give them a very very thorough clean or you'll be looking at peeled paint in no time. Preparation is the key!
Is there a guide anywhere on how to take the bumper off?!

Sounds like its going to be a fun day :roll: haha

Finish work at 12 then head to halfrauds to make up the anthracite (or whatever it is called) grey as they dont do the aerosol cans of it then going to my mates to get started
david burton

Post by david burton »

Are you sanding the bump strips or painting over the bumps directly? Make sure the right primer is used.

Not sure on how to remove the bumpers but in all honesty I think it's pretty simple.

I think you might be able to see how I did mine in my WIP thread (do a quick search)
Teo10
New

Post by Teo10 »

david burton wrote:Are you sanding the bump strips or painting over the bumps directly? Make sure the right primer is used.

Not sure on how to remove the bumpers but in all honesty I think it's pretty simple.

I think you might be able to see how I did mine in my WIP thread (do a quick search)
I will be sanding them down first and I think its a grey primer that im using...

I will take a look, Thanks alot mate :D
Teo10
New

Post by Teo10 »

I've checked through your thread david, and you had to buy new ones :( How much were the primed ones? seemed you spent an absoloute age on priming them?
david burton

Post by david burton »

Hi mate

The only reason I bought new ones is so I could take my time prepping them without having to rush. Once they were prepped I booked the car in to be sprayed and I gave them the Votex kit and bump strips all in one and got the car back the next day.

I then sold the old bump strips to Dino, who had the same idea, but I think he never got around to it.

You will want the first couple of coats to be plastic primer to get a really good bond to the plastic. You will also be amazed at how much the sanding scratches show through if you are not careful.

The other thing is to really really clean them - even brand new they are impregnated with oily stuff, so I put mine in the bath, cleaned them, and then wiped them with thinners to really get rid of any foreign substances.

I think new ones were about 80-90 and primed ones are about double that! depends on how much your time is worth. some people can sand them down in 2 hours, but I was quite meticulous.
Teo10
New

Post by Teo10 »

Just wondering, is anyone elses accelerator pedal lower than the break and clutch? got new brakes and realised that the pedal is quite low....Not sure if that is the way it has allways been or there is a problem?
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

david burton wrote: I then sold the old bump strips to Dino, who had the same idea, but I think he never got around to it.
I never got around to spraying and fitting them before i sold the car :(

But I did spend hours upon hours in my garage sanding them smooth and priming them. Dont expect it to be an afternoon job... goood luck.
Teo10
New

Post by Teo10 »

Teo10 wrote:Just wondering, is anyone elses accelerator pedal lower than the break and clutch? got new brakes and realised that the pedal is quite low....Not sure if that is the way it has allways been or there is a problem?
Anyone? Feels like it is defo a problem, not getting as much out of my turbo as i used to :(
mc_iver_9n
Gold Member

Post by mc_iver_9n »

dino wrote:
david burton wrote: I then sold the old bump strips to Dino, who had the same idea, but I think he never got around to it.
I never got around to spraying and fitting them before i sold the car :(

But I did spend hours upon hours in my garage sanding them smooth and priming them. Dont expect it to be an afternoon job... goood luck.
Now they are in my garage, I aim to have them on by 2009 :lol: