Axle stand locations

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
inder
Platinum Member

Axle stand locations

Post by inder »

Sorry if this has been done before, did a search, not fruitful. Looking for advice on the correct place to place axle stands, to secure the car, so that I can remove the wheel, caliper and disc and renew everything...

Those caliper bolts look mighty tight and I would need solid support for the car..! Is it recommended to lift both sides of the car, i.e. two axle stands or just work your way around (guessing leaving three wheels touching will be more secure) - this looks a bit wobbly? http://uk-polos.net/viewtopi ... 10&t=42649

I have a trolley jack and normally raise on the rubber 'grommits' seen under the car... just unsure where exactly to place the axle stands... could be making myself look silly, but better safe than sorry! :)

arrow shows trolley jack point rubber grommit and other arrow is where I think axle stand would go - lower suspension arm ??

guess this is the rear axle right? perfect for the axle stand ??

arrow shows trolley jack point, rubber missing

the sill type - no markings

is this little rubber thing, designed to let any water out, that might get in the sill, there are four around the car - or is this points for the VW scissor jack crap?

Thanks in advance, itching to get these new discs and brake pads fitted... :)

Any other suggestions welcome on that front too - gone for OEM all round.
RS_GT
Gold Member

Re: Axle stand locations

Post by RS_GT »

0n the front i use the axle stand on the rubber grommet (1st pic) thing but use a piece of wood between the stand and the car, and on the rear they go on the jacking point (3rd pic) mine has no rubber on it either

these are the places to jack it according to the Haynes manual
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

ahh great, sounds workable - thanks for the info

stupid question - if that is where they will sit, does this mean I need to use the std VW jack to raise the car, so slip the axle stands in?

does it lift it high enough? or do you use another point, to trolley jack up quickly and slide axle stand in?

cheers,
RS_GT
Gold Member

Post by RS_GT »

inder wrote:ahh great, sounds workable - thanks for the info

stupid question - if that is where they will sit, does this mean I need to use the std VW jack to raise the car, so slip the axle stands in?

does it lift it high enough? or do you use another point, to trolley jack up quickly and slide axle stand in?

cheers,
yep i used the vw jack, it lifted it high enough to get the stands in on there lowest setting which was high enough for me (fitting coilovers/ changing fuel filter)
but be careful where the foot of the jack goes, it might be in the way of where the axle stand needs to be
Silver Member

Post by 5509433 »

Quick question, dont mean to hi jack the thread!

Regarding coilovers, once youve jacked the car up, installed the coilys, how do you then remove the jack if the car is so low!? Even after that how do you jack the car back up if you need to make a change!?
RS_GT
Gold Member

Post by RS_GT »

5509433 wrote:Quick question, dont mean to hi jack the thread!

Regarding coilovers, once youve jacked the car up, installed the coilys, how do you then remove the jack if the car is so low!? Even after that how do you jack the car back up if you need to make a change!?
the vw jack does go pretty low, but then again my car isnt fully slammed yet, but then you might have to invest in a slimmer jack if ther is such thing, or you could drive up onto a piece of wood like a step, or even get help from a mate/mates and lift at the arch :D
dub6n2
Gold Member

Post by dub6n2 »

5509433 wrote:Quick question, dont mean to hi jack the thread!

you would need a low profile trolley jack but they tend to be quite costy

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/sip-07180-pro ... jack-p6723