Rear Lower Wishbone Arm, Rear Bush ISSUE! PEASE HELP

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
edo
New

Rear Lower Wishbone Arm, Rear Bush ISSUE! PEASE HELP

Post by edo »

Hello all, in my previus post: Driver Side / Inner Tyre Excessive Ware (http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... =8&t=50399)

It was ascertained that the Rear Lower Wishbone Arm, Rear Bush was gone and this was confirmed by a mechanic, as the wheel could be nuddge forwards and backwars while the car was stationeryand also on occasion there was a knock sound.

Following the above i went out and bought 2 new bushes as shown below: It was nighmare to remove the old one, but even move of a nightmare to install the new one, whic i have not done.

My question is, does anynone have any experience in replacing this bush and what tools did you use.
The following methods i have used without sucess:
Knock it in, as encasement is plastic so it cracked [dident work]
Forece it in with my hand while spining it [dident work]
DIY Clamp mechanisam, did not work, only went in 20% and got stuck. [dident work]

PLEASE HELP

g__humm
Platinum Member

Re: Rear Lower Wishbone Arm, Rear Bush ISSUE! PEASE HELP

Post by g__humm »

You can take the bush holding bit off then clamp it in using a vice. That's how I done it
edo
New

Post by edo »

Hello mate, i hadent even occured to me to remove the other arm that the wishbone bush is held by. From memmory how easy was it to remove it.?

And the arm you mean is:

g__humm
Platinum Member

Post by g__humm »

Yep. 3 bolts I think it is make sure u support the subfram just incase tho
phat6n16v
Bronze Member

Post by phat6n16v »

yep as above take the supports out and makes life so easy.
The subframe will be unbolted tho so make sure you mark it, so can be refitted in the same place.
I use a mkiv golf rear bush tool which really is a threaded bar with two large washers and nuts just to compress the bush into place, or if you have a vice that opens enough the you could use that, just ensure you have a thin layer of grease on the plastic face to make life easy.

Have done a ton of these.
But would advise getting ibiza cupra bushes as they are thicker and last longer (gen ones are any ways GSF just list the standard ones)

Mike