Greg's Candy White 1.2 TDI - For Sale!

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
gregperkins
Gold Member
Drives: 2011 Ibis White Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport

Re: Greg's Candy White 1.2 TDI Match

Post by gregperkins »

Gewoonjan wrote:
gregperkins wrote:Thanks for all the great ideas mate! I probably wont be looking to 'chip' it, as it needs to be as economic as possible for work purposes! It's going to be quite a difference from my GTI, but i'll get used to it! I like to keep things OEM, and have always kept my badges in original chrome, but I may change my mind when i have the car 8) I will probably use gloss black carbon in the inserts of the rear badge :)

I won't be lowering either as it needs to be more practical than my GTI! It will stay reasonably standard, just subtle mods here and there :). May possibly gloss black the mirrors, or carbon fiber them.

Cheers for the advice dude 8)
Haha like that! Well just from an informative point of view, mine isn't consuming more diesel, for a fact my fueleconomics got a bit better :lol:
1l to 20km, during winter on 15 inch with wintertires and during summer on 17 inch :mrgreen:
But I do spend most of my driving time on motorways and that really is a blow to my economics, but still it is a great rating:)

Eventough keeping the logos original chrome, you still might want to consider painting the pad candy white;)
I found two examples from two members of our dutch forum to give you an idea:

Nevertheless using carbon foil would also make a great look!

And there are tons more of small subtle oem+ changes, so I'm looking forward to your pics;)
Cheers for the information fella :) I will either paint it white or glass carbon black it 8) Next on the list is sourcing some TT pedals for it :)

Also, how easy was it to retro fit the projector headlights? I think a bit further down the line il put a xenon HID kit in - 4300K so it looks just right :)
gregperkins
Gold Member

Post by gregperkins »

jimbo_tdi wrote: Haha it is amazingly economical, during the summer months I was getting 65mpg+ easily I'm the motorway at 70, and lowest was 58mpg around town, winter diesel has taken its toll and I'm typically getting 6/7mpg less :) you on DW? You seem like a suitable person. ;)
Such a great little car with great MPG! I travel 40 miles a day just for work and am really looking forward to seeing a difference! What is DW mate :)?
jimbo_tdi
Bronze Member

Post by jimbo_tdi »

Polos are amazing and that's why they're the only car I've ever owned haha! My new work commute takes me 30 miles away from home, plus another 15miles+ going from meeting to meeting... So best part of 80 miles a day once ive done being a taxi for the kids to give the girl a good drive. Detailing World! It's full of anal car 'detailers' who clean what's already clean and polish what is already defect free haha, with it being Candy White a sealant is you're best option to stop the colour creaming or yellowing. I've got a Reflex Silver one and I've given her a few layers of AutoGlym EGP to see her through the winter so I can wack abit if EXO on once the weather warms up ;)
Match
Bronze Member

Post by Match »

Coincidence... I have the 1.2 TDi Match and my name's Greg too 8) I'll have to agree with the above statements ^ 1st gear is crap, the amount of times I put my foot down and the turbo doesn't kick in for a few seconds :roll: but when it does it's very capable, especially whizzing round country lanes in 4th 8)
franko247g
Bronze Member

Greg's Candy White 1.2 TDI Match

Post by franko247g »

How's the collection gone?! You loving it? Get some pics up :D
Gewoonjan
New

Re: Re: Greg's Candy White 1.2 TDI Match

Post by Gewoonjan »

gregperkins wrote:Cheers for the information fella :) I will either paint it white or glass carbon black it 8) Next on the list is sourcing some TT pedals for it :)

Also, how easy was it to retro fit the projector headlights? I think a bit further down the line il put a xenon HID kit in - 4300K so it looks just right :)
Sorry, didn't see your reply until now.
TT pedals would be lovely indeed! I've got a set of my own and they really are lovely.
Usually eBay will do just fine to find them for an ok price :)

The retrofits aren't too hard, the only problem is opening up the units. You can't put them in the oven because a perma seal has been used. You could either break them open at the perma seal line (takes about 4 hours to do both units) or you could use a dremel and cut them open close to the perma seal.
The building part is the easy part (maybe even change the colourscheme of the unit's interior) and than closing them again ;)
Also an extra set of units is highly recommendable for if something is wrong with the retrofit or mot or stuff like that ;)

As you can see a regular hid kit wil be a lot easier to instal :p
You'd really have to love the end result and looks or a retrofit to build it. The only real difference between those sets is the amount or light that's been scattered around. The retrofits have a normal rating as opposed to the regular hid kits, they scatter really bad.

Anyway both will be a great upgrade on the car :)
When are you actually receiving it? Looking forward to see the pics :D
gregperkins
Gold Member

Post by gregperkins »

Sorry for the late reply guys! Been very busy!

Well the wait is over! I picked it the car up on Saturday at 11am, and it absolutely fantastic! The first thing I did was drive it home and started adding all the bits I had bought! Took the whole of the centre console out to fit my Bury bluetooth 8) I also managed to source a RCD 510 for a very good price, which I installed at the same time :)

Bits done so far:

Genuine VW rubber mats
RCD510
Bury bluetooth kit
LED sidelights
Philips x-treme vision dipped beams
LED numberplate lights
Chrome insert on steering wheel
Brushed steel footplate

Have got a set of TT pedals sitting on my desk which will be fitted tomorrow, and also got a set of door sill protectors on the way :) Apart from that, I don't really want to change the the car that much as I love it just the way it is. Im very impressed with the spec and the economy! Currently getting about 64/65mpg going to work, which is a huge difference to about 25-30 on my GTI. Really is a fantastic little car to drive, which gives a lot to offer.

Apologies, I don't have any proper pictures at the moment, but I will get some taken at the weekend! It's already filthy from the journey to work and back :(

Pic on collection day 8) :

LoveTheVAG
New

Post by LoveTheVAG »

Looks really nice! 8)

Did the Phillips bulbs make much of a difference? I'm looking for a bulb to give mine a whiter light output but there are so many mixed reviews and it's hard to decide...
gregperkins
Gold Member

Post by gregperkins »

LoveTheVAG wrote:Looks really nice! 8)

Did the Phillips bulbs make much of a difference? I'm looking for a bulb to give mine a whiter light output but there are so many mixed reviews and it's hard to decide...
In all honesty, they weren't as white as I was hoping. I was looking for a 'white-look' and read a lot of good reviews about these. They are a little bit whiter than the standard ones, but nothing worth shouting about! The only benefit with them is they do project more light than the standard bulbs :)
gregperkins
Gold Member

Post by gregperkins »

TT pedals fitted 8)
franko247g
Bronze Member

Greg's Candy White 1.2 TDI Match

Post by franko247g »

You got a pic? :D
gregperkins
Gold Member

Post by gregperkins »

franko247g wrote:You got a pic? :D
Il get all the pictures done this weekend man 8)
gregperkins
Gold Member

Post by gregperkins »

So today I thought I would spend the day working on a few bits and pieces on the car! I added a red line on to the middle of the grill, replacing the chrome 8) I really like it, I think it breaks the front up a bit :). I also made some gloss black carbon rear inserts for the badge, which looks a lot better than standard. I debadged 'Polo' off it, but left 'TDI' on 8)

After all that, I washed it, gave it a polish, then sealed it with some collinite. I then went onto do the wheels using 'Iron-X' wheel cleaner - this is fantastic stuff! It gets any tar and muck off the wheels really well and gives a nice shine :D. I used some poorboys to seal the wheels for this upcoming weeks cold weather!

Here are some pictures as promised :)

8)
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

gregperkins wrote:I also made some gloss black carbon rear inserts for the badge, which looks a lot better than standard.

Do you have some kind of template for those inserts? :)
jimbo_tdi
Bronze Member

Re: Greg's Candy White 1.2 TDI - Pictures!

Post by jimbo_tdi »

Looks very tasty! Good job on keeping the TDI on it too! It's the only thing that differentiates it from the standard 1.2 haha!