6N2 GTI Cruise Control

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
neilGTI
Gold Member

Re: 6N2 GTI Cruise Control

Post by neilGTI »

I took my live from the fusebox, cant remember exactly where from though, the cables were run through the bulkhead where the previous owner had put a sub cable through.
Polo Dan
Getting There!

Post by Polo Dan »

Wow, this has been in the pipe line for ages! After a long time away from 'pimping my ride' I have finally started to install the cruise control on the gti! I've run the cables from the ECU through the bulk head and soldered them into the ECU port. Next I've got to work out how to get the steering wheel off so I can fit the new stalk. I've heard it's a mission so does anyone know the best method? Wheel removal for dummies would be handy right about now :roll:

btw, joe2612's notes on how to do this install are s**t hot! Cheers lad! :D
joe2612
Gold Member

Post by joe2612 »

Oh thanks man ! It's hard to explain the way to get the steering wheel airbag off: but i had a flat head screwdriver placed as flat the the wheel as possible ( So the arse of the screwdriver is touching the wheel). Once you do it the first time and get the technique it's easier.
Polo Dan
Getting There!

Post by Polo Dan »

So, a little up date - I got the steering wheel off after a bit of jiggery pokery and I've fitted the stalk and connected the wires up apart from the power source - some head unit's have a spare power cable on the back (like my old Alpine did) although now i'm using a Kenwood and it doesn't have one.
With that being the case I'm trying to work out the best place to get the 12v from, I guess a switched 12v would be better than a continuous circuit?
So once I've sorted out some power I'll just need to adjust the cowling where it snags on the tab on the new stalk and activate it on vagcom and then I'm (finally) done on this mod!

Next mod's gonna be a remap - I've been quoted £299 for it with gains of around 12bhp - anyone had a better price?
slarner
Bronze Member

Post by slarner »

Polo Dan wrote:So, a little up date - I got the steering wheel off after a bit of jiggery pokery and I've fitted the stalk and connected the wires up apart from the power source - some head unit's have a spare power cable on the back (like my old Alpine did) although now i'm using a Kenwood and it doesn't have one.
With that being the case I'm trying to work out the best place to get the 12v from, I guess a switched 12v would be better than a continuous circuit?
So once I've sorted out some power I'll just need to adjust the cowling where it snags on the tab on the new stalk and activate it on vagcom and then I'm (finally) done on this mod!

Next mod's gonna be a remap - I've been quoted £299 for it with gains of around 12bhp - anyone had a better price?
I used the headlight switch for the IGN 12V feed. Worked a treat. Infact i also used that for the heated seat relay ON/OFF.

I cant remember what measuring block it is on VAGCOM. I think its 69. You can do it with the lite version. It shows you when its turned on and off to check its working.

Stewart
Polo Dan
Getting There!

Post by Polo Dan »

Thanks Stuart, I've got it all hooked up and running now :D
Once activated in vagcom it worked first time so now on the motorway I'm that guy that goes slightly faster than the lorries and takes ages to overtake them!
Cruise FTW!
slarner
Bronze Member

Post by slarner »

Polo Dan wrote:Thanks Stuart, I've got it all hooked up and running now :D
Once activated in vagcom it worked first time so now on the motorway I'm that guy that goes slightly faster than the lorries and takes ages to overtake them!
Cruise FTW!
Well done mate! i drove 350 Miles last weekend with mine and it worked perfectly!
Piers0930
Bronze Member

Post by Piers0930 »

slarner wrote:
Polo Dan wrote:Thanks Stuart, I've got it all hooked up and running now :D
Cruise FTW!
Well done mate! i drove 350 Miles last weekend with mine and it worked perfectly!
nice. guessing that was motorway??