APR Remap for Polo GTI 6c

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
georgebentham
New
Drives: Polo 6C GTI

Re: APR Remap for Polo GTI 6c

Post by georgebentham »

Theres a video on youtube of somebody with a DSG with the stage 1 APR map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDz1iabkTQ4
GavinW
New
Drives: MY15 Polo GTi / MY10 R35 GTR

Post by GavinW »

Well, just got back home from Awesome GTi after the remap.....

The conditions weren't perfect for testing it on the way home but had a bit of a blast.

The turbo spools noticeably quicker but doesn't feel particularly faster through the rev range. I'm hoping this is just down to the car needing to re-learn the fuel trims etc.

They did have a few teething problems with the car being DSG.... The tune flashed to the ECU no problem but they weren't able to dyno the car afterwards. It logged perfectly on the road but with the 2 rear wheels being static on the 2WD dyno, the car almost immediately pulled the boost thinking there was a problem and they weren't able to get a correct power graph.

10 runs later I advised them that as long as the car is running ok, I'm happy to go on my merry way without a graph.

They tuned a 6spd manual yesterday and on 95 octane it made 239bhp on the dyno, so presumably mine on VPower should be making a bit more.

ATM the car doesn't feel like it has so much power to destroy the DSG but I'll report back if I have any issues.

Was it worth £600?? well 95% of my driving is on the motorway so if I see a decent improvement to MPG for the next 80,000 miles then I'm happy.

Gav
RobHardy
New
Drives: APR Polo GTI 1.8 TSI

Post by RobHardy »

I may book mine in for a rolling road. Be interested to see what it puts out!
Scott Bounce
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 6C GTi

Post by Scott Bounce »

GavinW wrote:
They tuned a 6spd manual yesterday and on 95 octane it made 239bhp on the dyno, so presumably mine on VPower should be making a bit more.
That made more than mine and mine runs V Power :lol:
GavinW
New

Post by GavinW »

Scott Bounce wrote:
GavinW wrote:
I think there will be a wide range of figures as every dyno seems to be a bit different..... As long as you're happy with how it feels.

I'd be interested to know if it felt instantly quick after the remap or if it took another hundred miles or so.

My Mk1 & Mk2 Fab VRS' were both massively different as soon as they came off the dyno. I took it out for a long drive last night and there was a definite improvement again....

It seems very eager to go when you initially put your foot down. It just needs a clean now :lol:
Scott Bounce
Bronze Member

Post by Scott Bounce »

GavinW wrote:
Scott Bounce wrote:
GavinW wrote:
I think there will be a wide range of figures as every dyno seems to be a bit different..... As long as you're happy with how it feels.

I'd be interested to know if it felt instantly quick after the remap or if it took another hundred miles or so.

My Mk1 & Mk2 Fab VRS' were both massively different as soon as they came off the dyno. I took it out for a long drive last night and there was a definite improvement again....

It seems very eager to go when you initially put your foot down. It just needs a clean now :lol:
Aye, would of just said the dyno could of been a bit down but instead of 288ft/lb mine made 303 :lol: Mine needs a clean as well, not much point just now though the roads are getting gritted every few hours by the looks of it :lol:
Bear
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 GTI

Post by Bear »

Hi all,

Does anyone know where is the best place in the South to get the APR remap done? :|

Ideally I'd like to use a place that comes with another user's recommendation... :D
GavinW
New

Post by GavinW »

People with DSG7 boxes be wary about the APR at present. I was assured that this was a tried and tested tune for both transmissions but mine is now going back into Awesome GTi next week to be put back to standard.

Following disussions with Revo, I have offered them my car for further development of their software. I'll keep everyone posted.

Revo have advised that my APR issues are most likely with the torque limitations of the DSG.

This is the info which I have sent to Awesome GTi about my experience of their APR stage 1 with the DSG7:-

""Following the remap that you carried out on Friday 12th Feb, I am experiencing some issues.....

As you know while the Techs were working with the car on the dyno, they weren't able to obtain a true dyno plot & figures because as the car began to boost, it immediately pulled the boost killing all power. The Techs advised me that this was due to the rear wheels being static and the DSG was causing the issue. They also advised that the car was performing normally on the road.

When I left your premises I immediately knew the car didn't feel quite right but thought it best to put on a few miles of varous driving to get a better idea of the issue. Following extensive testing on the road this weekend it is evident that the car is also pulling boost immediately after WOT in the same way as the Techs described was happening on the dyno.

What I have found is that you go WOT at any RPM, the car surges as the boost begins to build and then it holds back and then it slowly struggles up to the redline.

I have also found that when you floor it, after the car has surged and then boost has been cut, if you start to slowly lift your foot off the accelerator the car erratically accelerates harder than with the pedal at 100%

I would like to get the car booked back in with you. You are welcome to carry out further dyno & road testing for your own peace of mind but ultimately I would like the APR remap removing, returning to standard and a full refund""
Deejbb
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi 6R

Post by Deejbb »

Bear wrote:Hi all,

Does anyone know where is the best place in the South to get the APR remap done? :|

Ideally I'd like to use a place that comes with another user's recommendation... :D
I spoke to Volks Autos in Sutton when I was considering having mine remapped and they seemed very good.. Had a 20 min chat with the guy who I assume was the owner all about remapping etc.. He also offered to take me out in his Mk5 Golf GTI which has an APR map on it. Definitely worth giving them a call :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Willoughbyyy
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco R 2015

Post by Willoughbyyy »

GavinW wrote:People with DSG7 boxes be wary about the APR at present. I was assured that this was a tried and tested tune for both transmissions but mine is now going back into Awesome GTi next week to be put back to standard.

Following disussions with Revo, I have offered them my car for further development of their software. I'll keep everyone posted.

Revo have advised that my APR issues are most likely with the torque limitations of the DSG.

This is the info which I have sent to Awesome GTi about my experience of their APR stage 1 with the DSG7:-

""Following the remap that you carried out on Friday 12th Feb, I am experiencing some issues.....

As you know while the Techs were working with the car on the dyno, they weren't able to obtain a true dyno plot & figures because as the car began to boost, it immediately pulled the boost killing all power. The Techs advised me that this was due to the rear wheels being static and the DSG was causing the issue. They also advised that the car was performing normally on the road.

When I left your premises I immediately knew the car didn't feel quite right but thought it best to put on a few miles of varous driving to get a better idea of the issue. Following extensive testing on the road this weekend it is evident that the car is also pulling boost immediately after WOT in the same way as the Techs described was happening on the dyno.

What I have found is that you go WOT at any RPM, the car surges as the boost begins to build and then it holds back and then it slowly struggles up to the redline.

I have also found that when you floor it, after the car has surged and then boost has been cut, if you start to slowly lift your foot off the accelerator the car erratically accelerates harder than with the pedal at 100%

I would like to get the car booked back in with you. You are welcome to carry out further dyno & road testing for your own peace of mind but ultimately I would like the APR remap removing, returning to standard and a full refund""
Had very similar symptoms with my 6r GTi which was mapped by AwesomeGTi and then removed two weeks after.. they don't seem to have the hang of the DSG maps as they told me exactly the same story about the dyno not being able to give accurate graphs so don't know how they claim to be able to map without the rolling road but thats just my opinion. I'd stay clear again and go to Revo :D
Scott Bounce
Bronze Member

Post by Scott Bounce »

Should of got a manual ;)
GavinW
New

Post by GavinW »

Willoughbyyy wrote: Had very similar symptoms with my 6r GTi which was mapped by AwesomeGTi and then removed two weeks after.. they don't seem to have the hang of the DSG maps as they told me exactly the same story about the dyno not being able to give accurate graphs so don't know how they claim to be able to map without the rolling road but thats just my opinion. I'd stay clear again and go to Revo :D
Yeah, defo staying clear of them after it's removed! I should have clicked before when I was asking them technical questions about the DSG and they really didn't have any answers!

Revo have been very good at answering my questions this week and they seem pretty proactive in their approach... We'll see.

Defo should have got a manual :roll:
andy_gdon
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi

Post by andy_gdon »

Scott Bounce wrote:Should of got a manual ;)
Which is ok as long as the map isn't the issue...
Bear
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 GTI

Post by Bear »

Surely if APR create the map then it would negate the need for any fine tuning on a rolling road? I would have thought that would only be necessary for a custom map? :|
Scott Bounce
Bronze Member

Post by Scott Bounce »

andy_gdon wrote:
Scott Bounce wrote:Should of got a manual ;)
Which is ok as long as the map isn't the issue...
Well, touch wood, the map is fine on mine.