APR Remap for Polo GTI 6c

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
andy_gdon
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi

Re: RE: Re: APR Remap for Polo GTI 6c

Post by andy_gdon »

Bear wrote:Surely if APR create the map then it would negate the need for any fine tuning on a rolling road? I would have thought that would only be necessary for a custom map? :|
Engines perform differently, fuel quality varies, atmospheric conditions vary etc so all these generic maps need tweaks.

I remember back in my vxr days seeing some cars with maps from big companies and they were scarily bad on our fuel...despite their claims.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Bear
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 GTI

Re: APR Remap for Polo GTI 6c

Post by Bear »

GavinW wrote:People with DSG7 boxes be wary about the APR at present. I was assured that this was a tried and tested tune for both transmissions but mine is now going back into Awesome GTi next week to be put back to standard.

Following disussions with Revo, I have offered them my car for further development of their software. I'll keep everyone posted.

Revo have advised that my APR issues are most likely with the torque limitations of the DSG.

This is the info which I have sent to Awesome GTi about my experience of their APR stage 1 with the DSG7:-

""Following the remap that you carried out on Friday 12th Feb, I am experiencing some issues.....

As you know while the Techs were working with the car on the dyno, they weren't able to obtain a true dyno plot & figures because as the car began to boost, it immediately pulled the boost killing all power. The Techs advised me that this was due to the rear wheels being static and the DSG was causing the issue. They also advised that the car was performing normally on the road.

When I left your premises I immediately knew the car didn't feel quite right but thought it best to put on a few miles of varous driving to get a better idea of the issue. Following extensive testing on the road this weekend it is evident that the car is also pulling boost immediately after WOT in the same way as the Techs described was happening on the dyno.

What I have found is that you go WOT at any RPM, the car surges as the boost begins to build and then it holds back and then it slowly struggles up to the redline.

I have also found that when you floor it, after the car has surged and then boost has been cut, if you start to slowly lift your foot off the accelerator the car erratically accelerates harder than with the pedal at 100%

I would like to get the car booked back in with you. You are welcome to carry out further dyno & road testing for your own peace of mind but ultimately I would like the APR remap removing, returning to standard and a full refund""
So, did anything come of this?
GavinW
New
Drives: MY15 Polo GTi / MY10 R35 GTR

Post by GavinW »

I really didn't have any confidence speaking to Awesome GTI so ended up having the remap completely removed and a full refund.

I took the car straight round to Stadt Technik who are a dealer of Revo.... They said they have already tuned some manuals but would like my car to develop a tune that works with the DSG.... They plugged the laptop in but couldn't get past the ECU encription so I'm back to square one for now.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone with DSG who has had better results.

At the moment I'm weighing up 2 options:-

1) Tuning box - I don't have any info about them yet or even how good they are but I'm going to see if they are are worth installing and if they have long term reliability

2) There's a company in Germany called HG motorsport. They have a fully tuned Polo 6c GTi putting out about 260bhp with a few additional mods but with standard DSG. I might make contact with them and see if they'd be interested in tuning my car.

I need to do something soon because the car really feels depressingly slow and lethargic!!
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

if it was me i'd completely forget about a tuning box.

just kind of reminds of the ebay resistor mod just a glorified version of it. i'd be constantly worried about things like bore wash.
GavinW
New

Post by GavinW »

Yeah, after a little bit of reading into the tuning boxes, it doesn't look like something that I'd be willing to risk.

Just a thought..... Could the car be e-Tuned and if so, what equipment would I need?

I used e-Tuning previously on my Mazda MPS with amazing results. I purchased the tuning software and cable and the car was tuned remotely by a chap on the forum.

The benefits being you can tune to your goals, the car can be put back to standard or any previous state in minutes and the tune is fully customised based on the logs you take out on the road.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Biggest issue with these is the ECU encryption as you mentioned earlier. Until they break through it it limits the options available
g7egt
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by g7egt »

Just wondering how Rob is getting on with the APR remap that was fitted by VRS. How is the car?
GavinW
New

Post by GavinW »

I've made a little progress with this today....

Spoke to a chap at QS Tuning based in Sussex. He says that they have a tried and tested remap specifically for the DSG7 and have applied it to a number of customers cars.

It's based on their partners product at MTM Germany:-

http://www.mtm-online.de/en/products?FZ ... 6192230fma

The remap includes upgraded plugs and takes the car to 230bhp without causing any issues with the DSG.

If anyone gets this done, I'd be interested to see how the car perfoms.... I'll be getting it done as soon as I win the lottery as it's £1200 :shock:

It was cheaper than that to get my GTR to 600 BHP!!
Deejbb
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi 6R

Post by Deejbb »

GavinW wrote:I've made a little progress with this today....

Spoke to a chap at QS Tuning based in Sussex. He says that they have a tried and tested remap specifically for the DSG7 and have applied it to a number of customers cars.

It's based on their partners product at MTM Germany:-

http://www.mtm-online.de/en/products?FZ ... 6192230fma

The remap includes upgraded plugs and takes the car to 230bhp without causing any issues with the DSG.

If anyone gets this done, I'd be interested to see how the car perfoms.... I'll be getting it done as soon as I win the lottery as it's £1200 :shock:

It was cheaper than that to get my GTR to 600 BHP!!
£1200?!! You've got to be joking right!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Bounce
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 6C GTi

Post by Scott Bounce »

Glad I got the manual :lol:
GavinW
New

Post by GavinW »

Scott Bounce wrote:Glad I got the manual :lol:
Don't rub it in....

I'll swap you!! :lol:
JONNYVELU
New
Drives: 2015 BlueGT

Post by JONNYVELU »

What do you think the 1.8tsi will be running if it has a decat downpipe, high flow exhaust, cold intake and intercooler? Along with a stage 2 map?
I know it's not out yet just wondering what people think the potential is? Could it be close to 300bhp? (Manual btw! Not DSG)
g7egt
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by g7egt »

Could be around there 280 hp maybe. It will be handful under acceleration and the brakes might need an upgrade to along with the ride height!
GavinW
New

Post by GavinW »

280 bhp would be mental...

I wonder if you'd have to upgrade some drivetrain and fuelling components to deal with that, especially if you're getting loads more torque.

I'm not an expert but surely the little K03 would be close to it's limit towards 300 I reckon and you'd need to look at hybrids or K04.

I'm hoping in 12 months there will be loads of tuning options!
Scott Bounce
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 6C GTi

Post by Scott Bounce »

Would need to be pushing 280bhp anyway, it's 262 with just a map and hi flow down pipe.