Re: 2016 GTI LED FOG LIGHT BULBS

Post by iichel »

mostly, if they are present, they need to work. and they cannot be blinding
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

ciclo wrote:IIRC the front fog lights are not mandatory... WRC? R models?
Generally speaking you are correct, but, if front fog lights are fitted, then in most countries I'd reckon that they must comply with local regulations, which when fitted with these LED aftermarket lamps/bulbs they can't.
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

OK. :wink:

Maintenance

Adjusting fog lights

Fog light in right bumper:
Location of adjustment screw on left-hand fog light is a mirror image.
– Set corresponding inclination on headlight adjustment unit.
The inclination for fog lights is “2.0%”
Note
Percentage given is based on a projection distance of 10 metres.
– Turn adjustment screw -arrow A- to adjust beam range.

Test figure for fog light
Check whether the upper light-dark border touches the setting line and runs horizontally over the entire width of the test screen.

I did this process with my model of LED lamps on fog lights, and I think they have not dazzled anyone, as far I know, with fog is difficult to know this. :mrgreen:
They have a big ilumination power (like xenon), however I'm sure they are not legal.

I will test with other models of lamps... xenon for example. (only to test)
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

In Switzerland I passed the inspection with the Cree led. The only criterion is the 2%.
Xenon will work very nice for you ciclo, I think. But for the people with no bi-xenon and with static cornering lights, xenon in fog lights will be tricky. First because the dimming and maybe second because they are powered by the bcm directly. I don't know, but maybe the high peak load of xenon starters will cause damage
green_comet
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI

Post by green_comet »

Those bulbs looks great! They look to be exactly the same as these ones on ebay, same light output rating and temperature (750lm & 6000k) but the ebay ones are far cheaper. Not sure if these are canbus friendly though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2pcs-30W-H8- ... Sw5IJWg0e9

JGriff
New
Drives: Polo GTi 6C (2016)

Post by JGriff »

Old car (6R) uses H7, and new car (6C) uses H8, however the fitments are so close, that they are interchangeable
Foglights are tested in the MOT test, they MUST work if fitted, but are not subject to a beam test

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, says

“Front fog lamp”A lamp used to improve the illumination of the road in front of a motor vehicle in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

Filament lamps
14.—(1) Where a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 or any trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985 is equipped with any lamp of a type that is required by any Schedule to these Regulations to be marked with an approval mark, no filament lamp other than a filament lamp referred to in the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations in–

(a) regulation 4 and Schedule 2, items 2 or 2A, 8, 20, 37 or 37A; or (b) regulation 5 and Schedule 4, item 18, shall be fitted to any such lamp.

Front fog lamp; There use is restricted:-
(a) Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.
(b) Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.
(c) Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

SCHEDULE 6 requirements relating to optional front fog lamps

3. Angles of visibility: No requirement
4. Alignment: To the front and so aimed that the upper edge of the beam is, as near as practicable, 3 per cent below the horizontal when the vehicle is at its kerbside weight and has a weight of 75 kg on the driver’s seat
5. Markings– (a) A vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986: An approval mark
(b) A vehicle first used before 1st April 1986: No requirement
6. Size of illuminated area: No requirement
7. Colour: White or yellow
8. Wattage: No requirement
9. Intensity: No requirement
10. Electrical connections: No individual requirement
11. Tell-tale: No requirement

So subject to the above restrictions you can fit what you want as long as they are 'E' marked
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by peter_dk25 »

JGriff wrote:Old car (6R) uses H7, and new car (6C) uses H8, however the fitments are so close, that they are interchangeable
Foglights are tested in the MOT test, they MUST work if fitted, but are not subject to a beam test
No, both the 6R and 6C uses H8 as foglights bulbs.
The Polo Cross uses HB4
http://am-application.osram.info/en
green_comet
Getting There!

Post by green_comet »

I made up a quick tutorial on how to remove the plastic shroud around the fog lights, hope this helps a few people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ni4r8zzxmc
green_comet
Getting There!

Post by green_comet »

I put some 6000k LED bulbs in my fog/cornering lights today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mmA3L0 ... e=youtu.be

I ended up going with these bulbs.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161926151294 ... EBIDX%3AIT

They give off an almost identical light pattern to the standard h8 bulbs, while being much brighter, they match the LED headlights/DRL's and didn't throw any errors.

I highly recommend.
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Thanks for sharing. It looks very good. 8)
Really interesting, especially with respect to the static cornering lights. (video)

Please if you have the opportunity to test its operation with fog keep us informed. Thanks in advance.
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

green_comet wrote:I put some 6000k LED bulbs in my fog/cornering lights today.

I ended up going with these bulbs.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161926151294 ... EBIDX%3AIT

They give off an almost identical light pattern to the standard h8 bulbs, while being much brighter, they match the LED headlights/DRL's and didn't throw any errors.

I highly recommend.
I've now fitted some of these bulbs to my 6C Polo GTI here in the UK (bought from a different seller). Like yourself I'm very pleased with them so far. Much brighter than the standard yellowy Osram H8 filament bulbs and the colour temperature is a close match to the LED headlights (although the headlights and DRLs have a slightly purple/blue tinge to them which the foglights don't have). I also like the bulbs' design - looks almost OEM unlike some cheaper LED bulbs.
green_comet
Getting There!

Post by green_comet »

blackertracker wrote:I've now fitted some of these bulbs to my 6C Polo GTI here in the UK (bought from a different seller). Like yourself I'm very pleased with them so far. Much brighter than the standard yellowy Osram H8 filament bulbs and the colour temperature is a close match to the LED headlights (although the headlights and DRLs have a slightly purple/blue tinge to them which the foglights don't have). I also like the bulbs' design - looks almost OEM unlike some cheaper LED bulbs.
Mine are still going strong here, I'm glad you like them.
MIBUCS
New
Drives: None yet!

Post by MIBUCS »

blackertracker wrote:
I've now fitted some of these bulbs to my 6C Polo GTI here in the UK (bought from a different seller). Like yourself I'm very pleased with them so far. Much brighter than the standard yellowy Osram H8 filament bulbs and the colour temperature is a close match to the LED headlights (although the headlights and DRLs have a slightly purple/blue tinge to them which the foglights don't have). I also like the bulbs' design - looks almost OEM unlike some cheaper LED bulbs.

Do you have a link or the item number please?
fivelittlefish
New
Drives: 2016 GTI

Post by fivelittlefish »

blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

MIBUCS wrote:
blackertracker wrote:

Do you have a link or the item number please?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351610902354
The seller has sold out since I bought mine, but they are others on Ebay.