Heat issue

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Re: Heat issue

Post by david.stark »

I have manual air conditioning but nearly always have the air conditioning switched on. Some people I've spoken to assume air conditioning is only for use when its warm outside.

You can have the temperature dial set to whatever you like and still have the air con pumping. On cold winter mornings, I fire the engine up with air con switched off and just let the engine settle while I remove the windscreen cover which prevents frost and then I'll activate air con with max heat pointed at the windscreen and it soon gets rid of condensation as air con acts as a dehumidifier.

I don't sit in the car though because just by being there I'll be adding to the condensation. I keep busy by de-icing the side windows while the car gets to work warming up.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

david.stark wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:12 am I have manual air conditioning but nearly always have the air conditioning switched on. Some people I've spoken to assume air conditioning is only for use when its warm outside.

You can have the temperature dial set to whatever you like and still have the air con pumping. On cold winter mornings, I fire the engine up with air con switched off and just let the engine settle while I remove the windscreen cover which prevents frost and then I'll activate air con with max heat pointed at the windscreen and it soon gets rid of condensation as air con acts as a dehumidifier.

I don't sit in the car though because just by being there I'll be adding to the condensation. I keep busy by de-icing the side windows while the car gets to work warming up.
I also keep my air con on 24/7 and have done in all the cars I’ve owned with air con / climate control.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

J+silva wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:02 pm What I intend to explain is that if the outside temperature is 20 the air that goes inside without the ac on should not be much higher and it is not what is shown in the pictures.
Those thermometers you're using are still taking ambient temp inside your car, with a small influence from the vented air you're blowing at them. As previously said, your car is a moving greenhouse/conservatory, it's getting hotter and hotter even if you're pumping 24C air in. Open the windows, or open your wallet and put the aircon on.
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

Hi,

This could go round in circles for some time, so can I please say again whatever the temperature outside and you draw in the air without the a/c on don’t expect the temperature inside the car to reflect this. It’s an impossibility as the car is like a greenhouse, so will be significantly hotter than outside so the only way to reduce the inside temp will be to switch on the a/c As mentioned before, do this and you will enjoy a cool car.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

J+silva wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:02 pm What I intend to explain is that if the outside temperature is 20 the air that goes inside without the ac on should not be much higher and it is not what is shown in the pictures.
The first photo you show that your car is reading the ambient temperature of 24C outside. If you don't have AC on and have the temp dial turned to its lowest setting then I would expect the air temp coming into your car being 26C As the air coming into your car is going past hot engine components and is being pushed into the car with a bit of friction.

The second picture you show reading the surface temperature of the plastic near the vent. If the car has been baking in the sun and the interior has been hot for a while that plastic has a fair bit of thermal mass and won't cool right away when blowing air that is only marginally cooler.

In the third picture, you show using a different thermometer where it will show ambient temperature but as already stated the car is quite warm inside and are fighting the greenhouse effect. Also, don't forget you have humans in the car giving off heat adding to the heat source. In the picture, I can also see you have re-circulation switched on... Well, that is going to bring in even less of the ambient air from outside in and is likely to take the already warm air inside and re-circulate it past hot engine components making the air even hotter in the car :roll:

As you have manual air controls the dial you are turning for temp is really just turning a diverter valve in the system. It could be that the valve is malfunctioning and is stuck diverting air through the heater or your re-circulation system is stuck on always recirculating the warm cabin air through the system. But given the evidence you have provided, it looks like the temperature is just an environmental factor and you should stick the AC on. If after turning on the AC the car still isn't cooling then my guess would be some fault with the controls and a visit to the garage for inspection would be warranted.
Aube
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEDSG

Post by Aube »

My brain is now hurting.

As I3rady has said, try with the a/c and if the car cools all is well and if not, then there’s a possible fault.

Once more I’ll say, switch on the a/c if you want a cool car as there is no way you will reduce the temperature of the car by dragging in the air outside if the a/c isn’t on. If this was the case then why would anyone have a/c?
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Aube wrote:My brain is now hurting.

As I3rady has said, try with the a/c and if the car cools all is well and if not, then there’s a possible fault.

Once more I’ll say, switch on the a/c if you want a cool car as there is no way you will reduce the temperature of the car by dragging in the air outside if the a/c isn’t on. If this was the case then why would anyone have a/c?
Exactly. Have the temperature set to cold but the AC off is no different from just opening the window.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk