Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Gertlush
New
Drives: 2014 1.2 SE Bluemotion

Belt or chain?

Post by Gertlush »

FD7188D4-801B-4059-ADFA-1AE98F0461B1.jpeg
FD7188D4-801B-4059-ADFA-1AE98F0461B1.jpeg (3 MiB) Viewed 1780 times
As a new owner, and member, I’m trying to find out as much information on my car as possible for future reference.

I have shown a photo of the information placed inside the service book so hoping that someone can tell me if my car has a belt or chain, my research to date is a bit misleading as some say belt whilst others equally say chain.

So my question is this,,,how can I tell for sure?

Also from that information is this car a 6R or 6C, and am I right in assuming that the engine type is a CJZ?

Lots of questions there in one post.
Many thanks
John
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Belt or chain?

Post by iichel »

The CJZ engine has a belt
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

If you need a second answer, I agree with iichel, the full engine code will be CJZC as it is the 90PS engine.

Statements about cam belt replacement times differ:- any/most UK based VW Group dealership will when asked, recommend replacing that belt at 5 years or maybe 60,000 miles just as they recommend for all other belt driven cars with engines built after round about 20078, the official VW workshop manual will define "checking that belt" at every service after year 6 or so, ie giving it a visual over its entire length, and replacing it when it shows signs of wear or damage. Note, one of the comments made in the official workshop manual is "this belt type is fitted for life unless it shows signs of damage/wear - it is not a periodic/scheduled service part" - or words close to that.

My wife's Polo 1.2TSI 110PS is an August 2015 car, I'd think that I'll aim for getting that bely replaced round about the 7.5 year mark in its life - I have been checking it every year when I service that car, and so far so good. My logic is, as we only run maybe 6000 miles a year in average, if I get it replaced at the 7.5 year point, then keep the car until it is 12/13 years old, we will have got away with making only one cam belt change, her previous car which was a 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16V got 2 cambelt changes over its 13 years life with us.
Gertlush
New
Drives: 2014 1.2 SE Bluemotion

Post by Gertlush »

Thanks for the responses fellas, so as my car is 7 1/2 years old and 42000 miles on the clock, would it be the general consensus of opinion to get it changed?
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

To be honest, if you are asking the question, I think that you know the answer that will give you the "warmest" feeling.

It's all very well for people like me to say online what my plans are, and it could turn out I'm being extremely cautious wrt this belt, but who wants to be the first person to end up with a wrecked engine.

I'd doubt that many if any proper VW Group Indie workshops would tell you not to bother about this for a few more years, even at 5 years they would probably accept that work.

It's just very annoying that there are two "official" recommendations on this task, okay it probably allows anyone to leave it longer than the 5 years that VW Group dealership service centres would have you believe but just how long is the longest safe time/miles, that is why I've suggested 7.5 years if mileage is not excessive.