Coming/leaving home feature on 2016 Polo 6C

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
R826583
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 Polo 66TSI Trendline

Coming/leaving home feature on 2016 Polo 6C

Post by R826583 »

Today I tried to enable the coming/leaving home feature on my 2016 Polo 6C and to my disappointment neither the coming home or leaving home appeared to work. These are the settings from Carista:
IMG_1433.jpeg
IMG_1433.jpeg (154.14 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
IMG_1434.jpeg
IMG_1434.jpeg (147.36 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
The settings on the MMI:
IMG_1432.jpeg
IMG_1432.jpeg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 1493 times
I should note that I don’t have the auto headlight function, but rather just the three settings on the light switch. Do I need this auto headlight feature? I tried turning off the ignition, flashing the lights for one second with the paddle, then opening the door… and nothing happens. Likewise for the lights when unlocking the vehicle. Perhaps my trim level doesn’t support this function?
R826583
Bronze Member

Re: Coming/leaving home feature on 2016 Polo 6C

Post by R826583 »

On an unrelated note, is it common for the speedometer needle to sit just below zero as seen?
IMG_1423.jpeg
IMG_1423.jpeg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1488 times
My RPM gauge needle sits at zero:
IMG_1424.jpeg
IMG_1424.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 1488 times
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Does your car have the oem automatic light installation?
R826583
Bronze Member

Post by R826583 »

I do not believe so unfortunately.
iichel

Post by iichel »

then the coming home and leaving home also won't work I'm afraid
R826583
Bronze Member

Post by R826583 »

Ahh ok! It was worth a try while I was enabling the needle sweep on the cluster unit. Speak of which, does your speedometer needle also dip slightly below zero? I noticed it when setting up the needle swipe and now it bugs me slightly :lol:
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

With G397 light/rain sensor, maybe you will get something if you install Auto light switch and new wire from T10/2 to T73a/43
, then you code the functions in the BCM to know if it works.

The position of the speedometer needle is as it should be.
Calibrating analog/common/prehist😁ric clocks has those things. The important thing is that it measures correctly in the most common speed range, that is, the one that if you exceed it you will be fined without mercy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5FHH9MV14o :lol:
iichel

Post by iichel »

mine does, yeah, and my 90 degree coolant temp meter is also not perfectly centered. that also bugs me. but it's my own fault since i regularly take apart my speedo
R826583
Bronze Member

Post by R826583 »

Haha that’s a bit reassuring to hear it happens. I’ll have to get used to it probably. I’m surprised the software doesn’t pick it up and adjust for it. Perhaps there is a way to tune the needle position through coding? Although I’ve never seen an example of this being done. The position could be stored in the EEPROM memory.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

This is how it looks on my 6R (the camera lens also has an influence). Today.

Also calibrated with absolute manual precision 🧙‍♂️ with the VCDS Output Test for the instrument cluster.

I seem to remember that the Output Test provides two or three checkpoints within the entire range. You then 'interpret' the displayed data and with magician gloves correct the position of the needle 'manually' until you get the checkpoints correct (more o less 🤭).
R826583
Bronze Member

Post by R826583 »

I see! I don’t have VCDS but it is definitely on the longterm purchase list once I finish servicing and learning about the major components of my car. I would like to do several upgrades such as the auto headlights, shark fin antenna, disc brake conversion, TPMS, and some others. I have a lot of reading to do on the forum about these upgrades when I get round to doing them hopefully early next year :D

On an unrelated note, I’d like to hear your opinion (or anyone else if they want to jump in) on the ‘lifespan’ of the 2016 6C Polos, particularly my CJZC DQ200 combination. Obviously there is a factor of luck involved (and good maintenance), but they generally appear to be built well from my general impression of disassembling some components in the cabin (for example the whole centre console). I know this isn’t inherently akin to the build quality mechanically though. I have read some horror stories about the DSG DQ200 transmissions failing in lots of ways, or the engine suffering from the lovely combination of timing belts, timing tensioners, water pumps, carbon buildup, and whatnot. Do you have any opinion of what the ‘useable life’ is in the car? I.e when will it reach the point where the cost to repair failing components is more than the cost of selling it and acquiring a new car. This question has been sitting in the back of my mind since purchasing the car a few months ago. Considering how expensive the components are in Australia (plus the VW tax in general) I wonder about this. I really enjoy driving and working on the car, compared to some other cars, primarily Mitsubishi cars that I’ve driven. The whole experience feels very fun. However the water pump and timing belt replacement that I’ve had to do, plus the current issue of the poly v-belt whining, plus the notorious DSG DQ200, carbon buildup, and timing belt tensioner being one malfunction from crippling the interference engine all make me worry a bit about what is in store for me considering I plan to keep this car well into the 200,000km range (if possible). With all that being said I love the car as a whole and don’t mind working on it, but I’d like to hear some other perspective on this as I don’t know many people who own VW cars let alone VW Polos.
iichel

Post by iichel »

The Polo 6C does have some weaknesses, some carry over from the Polo 6R like the average rust protection, window mechanism cables and fuel flap lock motor.
The 6C platform itself is generally very reliable. The 1.2 TSI 16V engine is good, the DQ200 gearbox for the MQB platform is suffering more from its reputation than from its own unreliability.
Some issues are the infotainment screen and the stalks that fail prematurely and the buttons of the instrument cluster sometimes get stuck.
Otherwise it's a very good platform and well built car.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

I wouldn't worry so much about future plans or calculations regarding the durability of the vehicle, enjoy the moment and the experiences, both driving and doing maintenance work or repairs on your car.

With a little care that we are sure you will give due to your interest, skills and willingness demonstrated in the forum, you will significantly extend the lifespan of your car, you can be sure of it (200.000 - 300.000km). Then you won't want to get rid of it.

A small note that makes a big difference:
A vehicle that sleeps in a garage lasts many more years than those that sleep outdoors, especially if you live in arctic, desert or 'coastal' areas.
R826583
Bronze Member

Post by R826583 »

I only just realised that was in your post. That’s hilarious :mrgreen:

Re iichel, I can definitely attest to the average rust protection based on pulling the centre console apart (I previously shared the image of the multimedia interface bracket and many engine bolts being covered in surface rust). At least it’s all superficial. Also, I agree with the buttons sticking, mine do on the climate control unit. That’s good to hear about the engine and DSG.

Good to hear ciclo. I agree with not worrying about the future predictions but rather enjoying it in the moment like you said. I have been driving some other family cars today (Mitsubishi SUVs) and I must say that the driving experience of the Polo is far superior from the power train responsiveness, steering, and interestingly enough sound quality of the OEM speakers. It makes me really appreciate the little package that is the Polo.

Unfortunately, my car does have to sleep outside as the family car usually takes up the other inside space. I am also close to the sea. What a combo! I try to be vigilant with cleaning the car as frequently as possible. Do you have any recommendations for ‘quick’ ways to wipe down the engine? Perhaps a partially wet rag to keep the salt condensation away (to hopefully slow down the formation of surface rust).
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Each engine component would need special protection.
Having said this...
If you live near the sea, a really effective and 'quick way' for 'normal users' :) is to periodically wash the engine compartment with regular soap and rinse it with fresh water. You can use a pressure gun and with the engine ON at operating temperature, being careful not to project the jet onto electrical or electronic components. You don't need to be scrupulous to make the engine look like new, just remove the layer of humidity with saltpeter, to try to avoid the inevitable formation of rust as much as possible.

I don't live near the sea, but I've been doing it with my VW cars all my life and I NEVER had a problem doing it this way.
Each one will have their own experiences and a million products that they can recommend, but keep in mind that any protective products will contribute to the formation of dirt and possible wear of parts.

📸 ...✈ 🚜 🚂
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvYxXBMqEOM&t=48s 😄