Lowering mirrors when reversing

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
StepOne
New
Drives: SEL 110ps DSG

Lowering mirrors when reversing

Post by StepOne »

Hello,

I have just bought a 2018 Polo SEL. It has a mirror lowering option in the Infotainment system and this is ticked. But it doesn’t work. Before I go back to the main agent where my Polo was bought, can anyone please let me know if this model definitely has this facility? I've Googled but haven't been able to find out.

Many thanks
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Re: Lowering mirrors when reversing

Post by Maarten »

Did you program the motion it has to preform?
Screenshot_20231208-193509.png
Screenshot_20231208-193509.png (294.89 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The dipping kerbside mirror was an extra cost option on a 2018 SEL model (it was only part of standard equipment on the R-Line and GTI+ models) - see screenshot below from the Feb 2018 Polo price and spec brochure;
IMG_0385.jpeg
IMG_0385.jpeg (314.72 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
If your mirrors have the electric folding function, then you should also have the dipping kerbside mirror. If your car does have this [dipping kerbside mirror] option, then it needs to be set up before it will work irrespective of whether or not it is ticked in the vehicle settings menu(s). From memory, the procedure is as follows, but best to check your owner’s manual in case I’ve got the sequence of steps in the wrong order;
  • Switch the ignition on but do not start the engine
  • ensure the mirror lowering function is selected in the vehicle settings
  • Set the mirror adjustment control on the driver’s door to ‘L’ (i.e. the kerbside mirror for a right hand drive car)
  • Select reverse gear.
  • Adjust the nearside / passenger side exterior mirror to the required position so you can see the kerb
  • Put gear lever into neutral
The dipping position for the kerbside mirror is stored in the car’s memory.

Once set up, the mirror adjustment control on the driver’s door needs to be in the ‘L’ position when reversing for the mirror dip to work (I keep mine set to ‘L’ unless I use the mirror heating function or fold my mirrors in when driving in/out of my garage). After using, the mirror will return to the pre-dipping position when you switch off the ignition or drive forward and the speed of the car reaches approx 9-10 mph.
Last edited by SRGTD on Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Yeah I learnt the hard way in 2019 because I went back to the dealer thinking something had packed up with the motor behind the glass. Felt a bit stupid if I am honest but had I bothered to RTFM it would have caused me less stress :P Now I just leave the knob on L.
StepOne
New
Drives: SEL 110ps DSG

Post by StepOne »

Hello again,

Many thanks to everyone you took the time to reply.

It does work but so far as I can see only on the passenger mirror. I was following the setup for the drivers side. Although, I'll try again on the drivers side tomorrow in daylight.
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Post by Maarten »

Don't bother.
Only works on the off-side ;)
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@StepOne; as @Maarten has said, the dipping mirror function only works on one mirror - in the case of a UK car it’ll be the near side (passenger side) mirror.

The dipping mirror function is to help minimise the risk of mounting the kerb and / or scraping your alloys on the kerb when parallel parking. In the UK when parallel parking legally, you’ll be parked on the left, facing in the same direction as the travel direction of moving traffic, so it’ll be your near side / passenger side wheels closest to the near side kerb and pavement and at risk of being damaged.

I find it to be a really useful feature but have never felt the need for the driver’s side mirror to tilt down when reversing.