Reverse Gear Problem

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

sylonien wrote:Done the gear box usually get worse as times goes by?
shuld "get into gear" if u know what i mean.
jj86
Bronze Member

Re: Reverse Gear Problem

Post by jj86 »

sylonien wrote:Hey guys.

Do you get this problem occasionaly? My reverse gear is really difficult to "engage" at times. I push the gear down, left and then when I tried to push up, it won't go in.

KNow what I mean? I usually have to try 3-4 times and release the clutch a couple of times before it'll work again. Quite annoying.

A common issue?
I get the same problem occasionally... and only with reverse gear. I havent noticed it improve/worsen and ive done just under 10k miles from new (june 04).
Just thinking about it, i'd say i "drive like a maniac" a lot aswell :P .. so maybe thats why?
But then again, it normally shifts fine on the 2nd attempt, I just try make sure the clutch is fully depressed. I know what u mean about it being annoying, and often embarrassing - espec when in college car park surrounded by mates...and fit girls! :oops:
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

Oh dear - looks like it's a "common problem" then. :?

Yeah man! I was trying to reverse out of a pub with some "idiots" jus outside starring at my car (for obvious reasons :D) and I jus couldn't get into the gear - that was emberassing. :oops:

but to cover that up, after reversing, into 1st, rev to 2000rpm, let go of clutch, quick little wheelspin, then off I am again - > 8) that was okay then. Had to make my car "look good" again.
surreylad1980
New

Post by surreylad1980 »

hi guys,

my gf polo 02 1.9sdi had a simliar problem, you try and select 1st and it seem like it was going too far over, same for 2nd if you were slowing down at a roundabout say and try to select 2nd it would not go in. took it to the local vw and they said they adjusted the gear linkage now it is fine. maybe you guys should get it checked out.
polo69
Bronze Member

Post by polo69 »

my mk4 has a problem aswell. Put it into reverse and i get this awful noise and no movement, its like a grating noise. I think i dont put it in far enough sometimes but it does sounds pretty bad :?
vwclub.gr
Bronze Member

Post by vwclub.gr »

When having problems with reverse try engaging 1st gear and then reverse. It'll work!