test drive

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

GTI has more torque though - 280lb/ft :wink: not bad for a petrol engine! I can't wait to hoon around Oulton now - and to think I was gonna pass it up! :shock:

The other pretender to the throne is the forthcoming Ford Focus ST, which promises to be on the same level as the Golf and Astra. Be nice to see the figures on that too...
Prash
Silver Member

Post by Prash »

Si_GTi wrote:GTI has more torque though - 280lb/ft :wink: not bad for a petrol engine! I can't wait to hoon around Oulton now - and to think I was gonna pass it up! :shock:/
280 lb/ft :shock: only after a remap and some fairly expesive mods! think its about 210lb/ft as standard, still very nice !
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Thanks Prash, I should have written 280Nm! Which is 207 ft/lb :oops:
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

The CTR is only 145 lb/ft and 197bhp but still faster 0-60 0-100 and around the top gear race track than the golf.

Kerb weight according to honda is 1204 but found it to be 1140 something or less in real terms (on a weigh bridge) I wonder if they are going to produce that light weight GTi or if it's just a rumour.

Also thinking how much the R3(4?) will be ?? £23000+ way too much. Hmm. I do like the new Golf Gti, you can get them for 17500 but waiting times are ridiculous.

I think the insurance group on the VXR must be at least 18. Being a faster car, the golf costs more but is cheaper than the CTR to insure so I guess the price doesnt have that much to do with it.

James.
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

The new Focus ST is going to have the Volvo T5 power plant or so I keep hearing, God knows what the new Focus RS will have (if they bring one out)... 300 bhp and 4 wheel drive me hopes!

Obviously will look better than the spy shots!
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

300hp? power:weight ratio must b gd :)
mk4ads
Bronze Member

Post by mk4ads »

They are bringing out a very limited run of the new Focus Cosworth... 400bhp but thats all ive heard so far other than apparently the sketches look beefy!!

(Insider information :P)
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

I went for a 2nd test drive of the GTi today, asked them to show me what it can do. The guy was the sales manager and it was his car. Nutter!!! :shock:

I was well impressed, the esp makes all the difference foot flat down in 3rd around a round about (a large one) going over 60, everytime you felt the back end sliding out the power would cut and correct itself, and when you felt it understeering it would do the same.

Then it was my go!

Lots of fun, I want one. :roll: :roll:

Things I dont like about it.

The Price.
The grey interior, but got over that in the polo 9n quite quickly
It doesnt feel as fast as the CTR, and it isn't as fast acording to the manufacturers figures. (Is it that important with the alleged 45-ish bhp superchip)

I dont think I would seriously consider the VXR and the Focus would be out of my league insurancewise. Plus I don't want that ford badge. Same with the renault. It's the ugliest car out of the lot. Then there is the underpowered overpriced BMW effort which looks s**t plus it's a BMW, who wants to be labeled as a BMW driver, unless it's an M3 :roll: (hypocrite!) anything missing??

BMW
VXR
CTR
GTI
FocusRS
LCR
That ugly renault thing .

What do audi's do these days?
Evo's and Impreza's are out of the question too.

R32, too old.

New R32(4) too expensive. Too far away?

James.
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

James, simple...

Keep the CTR for now! Why change a good car?
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

mk4ads wrote:They are bringing out a very limited run of the new Focus Cosworth... 400bhp but thats all ive heard so far other than apparently the sketches look beefy!!

(Insider information :P)
o my goodness!!! ferrari eater!!! :evil: :lol:
mikegti
Silver Member

Post by mikegti »

I quite like the alfa 147 gta. far less common than a golf

I feel like i'm missing out here, must go and book a test drive or two!
dxg

Post by dxg »

Keep the CTR, but keep saving for two or three years, then get this.

:wink:

Deek.
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

Yeah, forgot the alpha, never like the front ends though, or the wheels. but wheels can be changed.

I dont intend to change my car, I havn't had it long enough.

It's just unintenional things happen with me, usually down to freakish good luck though.

I might buy a lottery ticket tonight, if I get a few more:

'We have some exciting news about the ticket that you bought for the ******** **** **** draw. Please Sign In to your Account...'

then who knows.

James.
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

with the alfa, depreciation will hit u hard :lol:

and itl breakdown all the time :roll:
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

Nout wrong with Ford's they're actually good lol

Saying that mate.. I would keep the CTR IMO, I love them I have to say. Yours is the facelift one too isn't? Nice 8)

With the Focus Cosworth, I seriously doubt it's will have M5 power. That would put it well over £30K and group 20 insurance... Also more people would buy the RS for £1000's cheaper and 'beef' it up.

The more realistic car will properly be the RS at 300+ bhp and as such no Focus will ever be badged as a Cosworth :(