scratched glass

Detailing & Bodywork
dave-h
New

scratched glass

Post by dave-h »

HI every body i am new to uk polo and can only say it is a brilliant site.
Can some one please give me some advice on how to remove a 150mm
scratch which some b**t**d left on near side window.I have tried T-Cut
it worked so and so but not brilliant the scratch is not really that deep, but i can see it every time i get in the car.
cheers
dave-h :cry:
jj86
Bronze Member

Post by jj86 »

I think the same applies with chipped glass... if you're fully comp, your insurance will cover a 'resin treatment' free of charge - whereby they simply fill in the scratch/chip.

Anyone know any more on this?
dave-h
New

Post by dave-h »

cheers i will check with my insurance as i am fully comp
dave
dave-h
New

Post by dave-h »

oh by the way "nice car"
dave
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Spot on JJ, you can have your glass repaired if the damage is only superficial. I've had a look at the Autoglass website, and they state that if they can repair the damage using resin liquid treatment, you don't have to pay a penny under fully comprehensive insurance!

I also read a bit on how it's done:
We first make sure that the damaged area is clean and tidy. We then suck all the air out of the chip with a vacuum and inject it with a clear resin liquid, before reversing the vacuum to force the resin to fill the chip.

We cover the chip with a special film and use an ultra-violet light to harden the resin. Finally, we polish the glass clean – and it’s immediately safe for you to drive away.

This whole process only takes around 20 minutes.
Pretty cool huh? Autoglass claim to be able to do this repair on cracks and chips at or less than the size of a pound coin - would be interesting to see what they make of a scratch! Worst case scenario, you might have to replace the whole glass panel, which will only be £50 under FC insurance :)
dave-h
New

Post by dave-h »

contacted insurance seems i have to pay an exess to have the windscreen
repaired. Anyway will contact Auto glass for estimate.
cheers
dave-h
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

a light scratch can be polished out..... you can get special kits to do it yourself

I have a scratch where a stone got caught in the wiper blade - right at the bottom of the screen. would be nice to get it removed.

let me know how you get on!
dave-h
New

Post by dave-h »

Yeah i have heard about " polishing out light scratches" I would be interested to have the product name and were it can be purchased
thanx for you r time
dave-h