1.0L to 1.4 16V, help please!!!!!

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
dubpolo
Sponsor

1.0L to 1.4 16V, help please!!!!!

Post by dubpolo »

im looking to do a 1.4 16V swap from my current 1.0l im going to do the brakes at the time an wanted to know whether its a strate swap. im going to get awesome gti to sort out the ecu.

can i use the same driveshafts?
can i use the same suspenshion?
will it go on the same mounts?
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

I haven't done this (or any, rather) conversion, but I'd say the mounting points are the same. The suspension should be fine, even though the 16v has different shocks (gas filled) and different springs (shorter?). Your current car does not have an ARB I believe, so you could look into fitting that too while you're at it.

The driveshafts are part of the gearbox (well, sort of) so it depends on the box you're getting - if it's from the 16v then just use that box and driveshafts. They should bolt up to the hubs no problem.
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

thanks. whats ARB????? im looking to get a compleat 1.4 16V and take everything!!! the axal, the brakes, suspenshion, gearbox the lot
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

Anti Roll Bar

As lomg as you get everthing you should be ok
nappy
New

Post by nappy »

loked into it and it was gonna be really better to by the 16v than getting the conversion done, as you have to pay the same insurance even though its a 1litre spec.
wrighty
Bronze Member

1.0L to 16V conversion

Post by wrighty »

the 1.4 16v conversion is fine but why dont you try a VR6 conversion or a 20VT both units are much mor tunable for the future if you plan on keeping your car for a few years
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

whats the handling like when you've got a V6 up front??? £6000 from dubsport!!!! it mite have to be done, dose anyone know any cheaper places in cheshire?
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

wont the front wheels just spin with that kinda power?
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

Theres a definate skill to driving a car with that much power.

A big engine like that will encourage oversteer, but not quite to the extent some people claim. is £6000 including the engine and VAT? if so i dont think you gonna get it much cheaper. Also Dubsport are the Dons when it comes to sqeezing VR6s in - just think "B16 DUB"
wrighty
Bronze Member

Post by wrighty »

Dubsort recomended me to fit the 1.8T unit as it is lighter than the VR6 unit and more tunable, the downside is that if you use a golf GTI gearbox it doesnt come with an LSD fitted as standard so there may be wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gear when caned however once you hit third and get full traction it will blow most things away.

For quotes try Awesome GTi (0161 776 0777) in Warrington they wont touch the 1.8T conversion but may be able to do the VR6 conversion for you.

Another one to try is Golfnutz in northwich 01606 44369 I think theyve done a VR6 conversion

Or try only VW motorsport in Blackburn (01254 697 988) these guys know thier polos inside out and have been really helpfull with my car.
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

thanks for the help!!! ill give those guys a ring on monday and ill tell you how i get on, im of to the cheshire VAG meet :D
dubpolo
Sponsor

Post by dubpolo »

im going for a G60 had a quote of £600 to fit and get working well, dosent include the engine so do you know where i can get one??? its so cheap because its going to take a month! :cry: but its going to save me sooooooooooo much money :D :D :D sould be a beast :twisted:

i've been looking at Hi-spec brakes and havent found any kits as of yet (dont think they make any!!!) but i have found an interesting kit.

will fit MK1 and 2 golfs. 285mm disks and 4 pot calipers and all mountings. big question is weather the MK1 and 2 golfs where 4stud? will the calipers hangers fit or will i have to get new ones made.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

dubpolo wrote: i've been looking at Hi-spec brakes and havent found any kits as of yet (dont think they make any!!!) but i have found an interesting kit.

will fit MK1 and 2 golfs. 285mm disks and 4 pot calipers and all mountings. big question is weather the MK1 and 2 golfs where 4stud? will the calipers hangers fit or will i have to get new ones made.
MovIt make a big brake kit, and I'm pretty sure there are others out there. Go here: http://www.movit.de/rahmen/vw.htm

Mk1 and 2 Golfs were in fact 4 stud, but if the brakes simply bolt up I can't say.

If there's 'only' 160 horses on tap, you may get away with fitting the Mk5 GTI brakes which are already (much?) bigger than what you have now. Alternatively, get the stock G60 brakes and fit those.
wrighty
Bronze Member

Post by wrighty »

Good luck with the conversion I was thnking about a G40 engine in my polo but it was meant to have massive reliability problems I'm not sure if this is the case with the G60 Engine, but the conversion will be releatvely easy.

I last saw A G60 Engine for sale on the Awesome GTi website. It was from a Corrado and was about a grand. Not sure if its still there though.
wrighty
Bronze Member

Post by wrighty »

Yeah the engines still on the awesome GTI website under 2nd hand parts on thier website.

1991 Corrado engine, gearbox, exhaust down pipes, intercooler, wiring loom, covered approx 80K good runner
£950.00- 0776 476 4018

Snap it up if I were you they dont come along very often.